Would this still be a good show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Would a U2 show without Where The Streets Have No Name, Pride, One, Bullet The Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday still be a great show? As much as I love those songs I think it still would. I mean its not like U2 depends on those songs to give a great concert and without them the concerts wouldn’t be so great. I tried to do a set list without those songs, as an example, and I liked what I got, I left quite a few classics there like Bad, Until The End Of The World, New Year’s Day, Mysterious Ways, With Or Without You, 40 (all songs that are coming and going on this tour) and the whole Zoo Tv / Achtung Baby moment and I think it works. It feels fresh. I think U2 should be daring like that. Like they were when they entered the 90's and let some songs like Out Of Control, Sunday bloody Sunday, Gloria, I Will Follow, Running To Stand Still, The Electric Co. rest for a while. Here’s the set list:

1. Love And Peace Or Else
2. Vertigo
3. All Because Of You
4. The Electric Co.
5. Elevation
6. Mysterious Ways
7. With Or Without You
8. Gloria
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
11. City Of Blinding Lights
12. Beautiful Day
13. Crumbs From Your Table
14. New Year’s Day
15. The Hands That Built America
16. Bad
17. Electrical Storm

18. Zoo Station
19. The Fly
20. Until The End Of The World
21. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

22. Yahweh
23. 40

If you are in a cult where all you listen and care for are Streets, Pride, One, Bullet The Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday please don’t replay to this thread. What I want to know is if a show with those songs above and without those other songs that I have named would still be a great U2 show and why. That’s all. Please don’t kill me. Thanks. :)

Yes, I think a U2 show without those songs would still be just as exceptional - and not just for the hardcore fans, as I'm sure there'd still be plenty of hits to keep casual fans happy.

The quality of a U2 concert isn't determined by the inclusion or exclusion of a handful of specific classics.

i think U2 really needs to play Streets every night. it really is their 'picker-upper' song, and always brings a magical moment.

as for the other songs, they probably need to play One every night too.

well look, here's the thing. i've only seen one U2 show, the Anaheim 1 Vertigo show, and here's what ive realized. i really really enjoyed the songs they played (even though we didn't get Electric Co. or An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart that night). i watched them play One, and i really enjoyed it. but here, watching the setlists roll in every night, i do get sort of bored seeing them play One all the damn time. but they have to, because it's one of the best songs they've done, and the people who go to a u2 show have to hear it. the same goes for Streets, and, i guess, Pride, Bullet, and SBS (in u2's eyes at least).

Of course it would still be a great show - look at all those awesome songs on that list! But yeah, I'd have a twinge of disappointment that they didn't play Streets.

It's my favorite U2 song. However, that twinge would be brief, as it would be quickly followed by "Ooh, it was still so incredible, though!"

See, I wouldn't have missed Streets at all. I say this even though I could barely stand during Streets at Boston III, it was so incredible. I really enjoyed Pride, Bullet, and SBS, but I could've done without One - that and ABOY were (I mean this relatively, compared to the other songs) the two most boring songs each of the three nights.

Really, when it all boils down to it, I don't go to a U2 show with the intention of hearing particular songs in mind. If I did, I'd be so disappointed - where's 11 O'clock Tick Tock, The Unforgettable Fire, Heartland, One Tree Hill? I don't mind what they play and what they cut, just as long as what they play is performed to their usual high standard.

It would be a fantastic show, but i still think that streets is the ultimate song that defines 'U2' and what they are. Maybe swap it (not in place in list though) with WOWY.

And electrical storm to finish the mainset?? maybe swap that and bad or es / bd

since when BULLET is a song for the casual fan?

I think NO ONE except the people who has Jodhua Tree knows this song... and us, of course...

there's your DROP of the day

Streets gets the crowd up, ONE is love and SBS is rebelion... for the casual fan...

Bullet is the song I sat in the ground at Popmart Santiago... never heard it, I heard it ther and didn't cared... that's that

I only got up to see the plane crash :wink:

I'd enjoy this show even with those songs missing... I love Streets and SBS - but I don't "have" to hear them for a show to be "good" to me... Heck, I'm just glad to be able to hear them play live... :)

Back
Top Bottom