Will U2 play the REAL lead single on Fallon show ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listened again, yeah just sounds like a backing track drum loop.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Also keep in mind that over Sunday and Monday they did record the song 4 times. Perhaps they used the audio from one performance and video from another, and Larry missed his cue in one video. Quite an oversight on the editors part, for sure. Or maybe he was playing along with a track, Top of the Pops used to require all bands to mime their performances. Bono was live, and I think Edge's playing was live as well. He was playing some stuff that I dont' hear in the record version. Sounded pretty good though!

I'm fairly sure that they were (except for vocals), playing a long to a pre-recorded track they had recorded the day before.

Obviously there are the xylophones, but you can hear Larry on hi-hat and snare on the chorus and they sound live and different than on the studio version.

Same thing with the end section, you can hear Larry playing tom and snare over the programmed beat.

Guitars also sound different than on the studio version.

So yea... I have no idea what went on on Monday.

But on Sunday everyone came out except for Bono about 5 minutes prior to playing, and all three were playing their instruments, fucking around so to speak, before the taping began.

I was 5 feet from Edge. My +1 thought he was clever and sung/yelled out the opening to 11 O'Clock Tick Tock... It's cold outside.. (it's funny cause it was cold outside).

Edge quickly played the opening riff... Just like a couple seconds, and smiled at us before going back to F'ing around with his guitar.

Larry was also going back and forth between his snare and his electric drum pad. Plus you had the Rutgers band playing, which frankly is impossible to fake. I don't think an 18 year old college student is capable of pretending to play a xylophone.

Not to mention as we were lined up waiting inside, just outside the observation deck... we could hear them sound checking, start and stops and everything.

So on Sunday I have zero doubt that they were they were the playing live, although clearly with a loop to cover what wasn't able to be played by just the 4 of them.

Could they have played to a track on Monday? Sure. But I doubt it... Largely because the first take on Sunday sounded better than the take that aired.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

So yea... I have no idea what went on on Monday.

But on Sunday everyone came out except for Bono about 5 minutes prior to playing, and all three were playing their instruments, fucking around so to speak, before the taping began.

I was 5 feet from Edge. My +1 thought he was clever and sung/yelled out the opening to 11 O'Clock Tick Tock... It's cold outside.. (it's funny cause it was cold outside).

Edge quickly played the opening riff... Just like a couple seconds, and smiled at us before going back to F'ing around with his guitar.

Larry was also going back and forth between his snare and his electric drum pad. Plus you had the Rutgers band playing, which frankly is impossible to fake. I don't think an 18 year old college student is capable of pretending to play a xylophone.

Not to mention as we were lined up waiting inside, just outside the observation deck... we could hear them sound checking, start and stops and everything.

So on Sunday I have zero doubt that they were they were the playing live, although clearly with a loop to cover what wasn't able to be played by just the 4 of them.

Could they have played to a track on Monday? Sure. But I doubt it... Largely because the first take on Sunday sounded better than the take that aired.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

:up: Great to hear such perspective from someone so close, cool story about Edge and 11:00 tick tock.

Alas, if I do, that belongs in the soundcheck field. Much as I'd love to put it in the actual set...

Great to hear that they snippeted it, thanks Headache! :up:

As a consequence, tonight I dreamt they played '11 O'Clock Tick Tock' on the new tour, and I remember it was a totally reworked version, different both from the early performances and from the 2000/2001 version. I'd say bring it back!

Does this mean that the gig should also state that Stairway To Heaven was a snippet before Ordinary Love? Because it really shouldn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

BTW, I thought it was really sweet that Adam kept standing on Larry's riser during Invisible even though there were only about six square inches of toe space there. Old habits, I guess?

Probably needed to keep close to keep up the rhythm. I'm sure it was hard to hear properly up there, especially with such a close-knit crowd. And a new song? Yikes. But yes, sweet indeed. I kept grinning like an idiot the whole time while watching it. I need to d/l the clips so I can see them AGAIN AND AGAIN. :heart:

If anyone has the full interview and the Stairway bit before OL; PM me. YT is taking everything down since U2Vevo has the "official" performance vids up. Damn, should've snagged them earlier in the week. That'll teach me to wait until my data cycle ends. :doh:
Does this mean that the gig should also state that Stairway To Heaven was a snippet before Ordinary Love? Because it really shouldn't.

Pfft, in my head it counts.

Stairway To Heaven (snippet)/Ordinary Love (acoustic) :up:

It was super yo who put up the complete 13 minutes on youtube. Maybe we can ask him to put it up as a torrent or something. I got the performances but foolishly didn't do the interview in time.

Exactly. That's what he (?) put up, both performances and the interview edited together. It was nice work, and so fast!

Sweet. But looks like the torrent I found is the whole episode? I'm shamefacedly admitting that I don't really care about archiving the rest of the show. I could download and do the editing myself but what a pain in the rear that would be, and isn't it so great that someone else already did?

I wish we could have the whole interview as they cut some. I loved the look on Will Smith's face when Bono asked him if he knew what a 4 leaf clover was. It was like WTF! Bono also spoke a bit about his humanity work and the band's generousity.

Sweet. But looks like the torrent I found is the whole episode? I'm shamefacedly admitting that I don't really care about archiving the rest of the show. I could download and do the editing myself but what a pain in the rear that would be, and isn't it so great that someone else already did?

Yeah it's the whole episode. It's not huge so I didn't care about whether I got the whole thing or not..after all the show itself is kind of a milestone.

Did you check out the comments on his YouTube post? Sometimes uploaders will post a download link also..not saying he did but maybe..

Back
Top Bottom