Will U2 play the REAL lead single on Fallon show ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So.

I just listened to "Let it Go."

Meh. I love a good pop tune, but this one didn't do much for me, I'm afraid.

Watched both U2 performances from Jimmy Fallon again and I liked them both even more than the first time.

Did anybody else find it remarkable how accurate that guy on the 1980 late show was in describing what U2 would turn out to be?

1. Not true.
2. Sometimes true.

What exactly does it mean? Art isn't a race, there's no clear cut finish, particularly from awards bodies that pat themselves on the back and play politics and formulas in deigning people worthy of joining their ranks and have clout over people that know jack about the breadth of the art form being feted otherwise.

So.

I just listened to "Let it Go."

Meh. I love a good pop tune, but this one didn't do much for me, I'm afraid.

The song works much better in the (fabulous) movie than it does on its own. I still prefer Ordinary Love by a lot, though.

Awesome. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I re watched the Ordinary Love segment, I don't think anyone in U2 realized the song Roots were playing as they came out heh.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Everybodys entitled to their opinion but boring?

This version of the song nearly made me cry like a baby in my corn flakes this morning. I had goosebumps and all sorts.

It was a heart touching performance and Bono's vocals were superb

:up::up::up:

Somebody clearly didn't read the discussion immediately preceding their post.

I'm listening to the two performances on repeat today. I'm more and more convinced that they're two great songs, but even more that it's good they brought back the focus on two single songs. I mean, who would've thought that two non-proper singles would have reached those hits on YouTube with a related big talking on the social networks. It's like if they wanted to remind the world that U2 existed, to put it with Bono's words, by unvealing two single songs, months before dropping the big thing. I know that's been primarily done for Mandela and fighting AIDS, but I sense a deeper level of presenting the U2 brand again to the world. They were strongly convinced in doing this way.

Well, you have to give us some leeway. This is a very obscure track, an early demo that wasn't widely bootlegged. At least, I'd never heard of it until now.

Including myself in the blue crack who should have noticed as well and I thought I had heard and have every little snippet, really surprising.

Yes I'm sure that's their voting priority...ticking off another award for U2.

Actually, I hope they do overlook them. I kind of don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible. I'd rather see songs nominated that were actually sung as part of the story of the film...or at a minimum, something that was played during the film itself that made an artistic contribution to the story. "Let it Go" plays a crucial role in Frozen and is a big part of the story. Other than U2 saying the song is about Mandela (a dubious claim IMO) the song contributes absolutely nothing to that movie, and in fact the movie would play exactly the same (but for the credits) without the song. So how does that add to the film at all? I don't know, that's kind of lame to me, and not fair to the artists who actually worked at making a piece of music that was part of a film's story and contributed to the final on-screen product in a meaningful away.

The way U2's song is being considered, it's more like a Grammy...an award for the song itself, but not how good it works in terms of the film. There really should be a distinction, and I actually hope that's something the Academy voters keep in mind, because while I like U2's song better than any of the other songs (I guess), I don't think they deserve to win (though they probably will).

I don't think that they will win... Let it go will.

Like Eminem... The song will deserves to win because the context the song is in with the film.

I love OrdinAry Love but after seeing Frozen Let It Go will win.

Is it just me or did I heard drums at the beginning of Invisible and Larry hasn't started drumming yet?

Yes. Are his drums not even mic'ed or what was going on there? The tone of the ones where you can see him hitting the drum and the ones where he isn't sound identical to me.

I noticed that too when I first heard the song.... but I figured it was a drum loop that starts the song and he then takes over. I'm wondering if one of the music virtuoso's would kindly explain?

He's playing electronic drums, isn't he? Therefore if an opening roll is part of the track and he then plays a similar roll live, he'll be using the same drum patch on his electronic kit as was used on the track. This would admittedly be much harder to replicate without tonal differences if acoustic drums were being used. Even if he used the exact same snare in recording as he used live, there are physical variables there that would make for some differences in sound.

I'd imagine the Rutgers drummers are altering how we perceive that snare roll also..

^ makes sense... I was wondering where they would put this song in the set list? At first blush it seems like maybe a good opener?

I think the new single will be first, and I can see Invisible closing the show or being the first encore....especially if Larry is going to go with the stand-up/electronic idea..this would be in the encore when they bring him down off his riser closer to the audience.

BTW, I thought it was really sweet that Adam kept standing on Larry's riser during Invisible even though there were only about six square inches of toe space there. Old habits, I guess?

Listened again, yeah just sounds like a backing track drum loop.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom