Will HTDAAB have "the song"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton Brother

The Fly
I recently listened to an interview Bono gave in around the time of the recording of UF and JT.

I'm sure many of you know about his discussion about the concept of "the song"....evoked in Pride, Streets, One etc....

In a nutshell, "the song" is big ideas, big emotion, ambitious art, power and love all wrapped into one package. Rare to capture, impossible to duplicate - a sight to behold. Timeless, meaningful, universal - musically, lyrically, spiritually.

This got me thinking - is it possible any more?

Could Beautiful Day be thought of as "a/the song"

What was U2's last "the song", and will/can HTDAAB have one of these?

U2's last "the song" was definitely One, no other song since then has been focused enough and beautiful enough (though Kite came close, i think).

I think Miracle Drug or Yaweh will be the next "the song"

Kite. For me, that was "the song" off ATYCLB.

Gone was "the song" off Pop.

Zooropa didn't really have one, and I don't think it was supposed to.

One was "the song" off AB

It's harder to suss out on previous albums, though Bad and Streets do stick out.

To me, Miracle Drug has this potential. It sounds like it has a epic scope. Listening to the leak, you can hear that the band is going for something bigger than just another album track. It already sounds like it could be a U2 classic.

Mmm...interesting.

I do agree with (from what we've heard) about Miricle Drug having that "epic" potential.

Nice to see the general consensus for Kite as part of the group. I would agree it's the most serious attempt for "the song" on the last disc.

I hope some of you don't think I pulled this concept out of my ass - Bono actually felt quite passionate about this at the time that he gave the interview.....remember when he wasn't so articulate? lol...

As far as "the song" that would be an extremley notable highlight, no, I do not believe that the new album will have a "With Or Without You" or a "One".

But it might have a "Mysterious Ways", "Discotheque" or "Gloria" if we're lucky.

ZigZag said:
As far as "the song" that would be an extremley notable highlight, no, I do not believe that the new album will have a "With Or Without You" or a "One".

But it might have a "Mysterious Ways", "Discotheque" or "Gloria" if we're lucky.

Disagree, especially since the album hasn't come out yet and we have no clue yet about seven of the songs! I, too, think Miracle Drug has a lot of potential to be "the song" from HTDAAB, based on what I've heard, sort of in the same vein as WOWY.

I know Kite is a popular pick, and it's a great song, but I'd like to throw Walk On into contention too, it was "the song" for me from ATYCLB.

i agree with all of the "stay" fans ... i don't know what it is about that song but it's one of my favorite songs ever. i couldn't even explain it if someone asked me why. it just is...

and i also think with or without you is "the song" from joshua tree.

I don't think U2 has made "the song" that can touch anyone and everyone since "One".

Stay (teriffic)
Kite (even more terrific)
Walk On (the best of the 3)

While people may really enjoy these songs and they touch them on a deeper level, none of these have had the mass appeal and global connection that "One" had.

I feel that HTDAAB will have at least one "the song" on it - maybe even 2 or 3 like JT did.

as much as i absolutely love "Kite", i could never place it in the same category as "Bad", "Streets", or "One".

good tune though...

ATYCLB - Walk On
POP - Please (man, i can't believe no one mentioned this song)
ZOOROPA - Stay
ACHTUNG - One
RATTLE N' HUM - Heartland
JOSHUA TREE - With or Without You
UNFORGETTABLE - A Sort Of Homecoming
WAR - New Years Day

I just wrote down my favorites from the better albums, as they were at one point "the song" for me personally

Pop Artist said:

Disagree, especially since the album hasn't come out yet and we have no clue yet about seven of the songs! I, too, think Miracle Drug has a lot of potential to be "the song" from HTDAAB, based on what I've heard, sort of in the same vein as WOWY.

I know Kite is a popular pick, and it's a great song, but I'd like to throw Walk On into contention too, it was "the song" for me from ATYCLB.

I'm not saying Bomb won't have its "song", but I doubt that it would have U2's "THE" type song.

Back
Top Bottom