Wide Awake in Europe Discussion only NO REQUESTS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder where this guy got those copies from already? If there were promo versions available, or "early" versions released for whatever reason, maybe that accounts for the extra numbers?

Eh, it's not a big deal. If it means there are more copies available than previously believed, that just means more copies for U2 fans. :)

I read somewhere today that there are extra promo copies out there, and they're numbered, too.

On u2wanderer, maybe?

eta - it was @u2 retweeting u2wanderer:

atu2 atu2
RT @u2wanderer: my contact at universal claimed extra copies run off for promotional use. 5000 is the figure for sale. all numbered however.

:hyper: I just received an email that my order has shipped! It says it shipped yesterday in fact.

(Vintage Vinyl Records)

Well 2 of the 3 songs have already been "leaked" on U2.com so I expect/hope Mercy tomorrow. They're downloadable in 256kps so that's good enough for me.

Then if my vinyl orders come through (from Red Eye and Vintage Vinyl) they can stay shrink-wrapped :)

:hyper: I just received an email that my order has shipped! It says it shipped yesterday in fact.

(Vintage Vinyl Records)

Me too!! Hopefully, USPS holds it with the rest of my mail until next Saturday when I get back from NZ and doesn't leave it at my door.

There's no status indicated on my order page from Ideal Copy. I emailed them to ask if they knew when it would be shipping.

I popped into my neighborhood record store, and they still said they had no idea what from the list they'd be getting, or how many copies. But it sounds like WAIE is having quite a larger pressing than the usual RSD releases - he said from his experience, a lot of the releases only have about 400-500 copies made. :ohmy:

He also said U2 sells pretty well at the store, when I joked about possibly being the only U2 fan trying to find it at their store.

Okay, fine. But I bet I'll be the only local U2 fan there at 10 on the dot to hopefully buy it. :wink:

Oh, cool. Thanks!

Just saw this blurb from @U2:

Our question: If this record is said to be limited to 5,000 pressings, how come Mike has numbers 5500 and 5501? (see third picture below)

UPDATE: A contact at Universal Music has answered this question for us. Here's why:

"During the manufacturing process, some jackets get damaged during the numbering process. These jackets are destroyed, but we do not go back and re-set the numbering machine for each damaged jacket. We simply run numbers past 5,000. If we didn’t do this, we would end up with much less than 5,000 total units."

There's no status indicated on my order page from Ideal Copy. I emailed them to ask if they knew when it would be shipping.

I popped into my neighborhood record store, and they still said they had no idea what from the list they'd be getting, or how many copies. But it sounds like WAIE is having quite a larger pressing than the usual RSD releases - he said from his experience, a lot of the releases only have about 400-500 copies made. :ohmy:

He also said U2 sells pretty well at the store, when I joked about possibly being the only U2 fan trying to find it at their store.

Okay, fine. But I bet I'll be the only local U2 fan there at 10 on the dot to hopefully buy it. :wink:

That reminds me of my U2 Best Buy buddy: There's this guy who is always there with me when the doors open every time there's a new U2 release. We always each get one of the few copies of the deluxe and/or vinyl versions the store gets in. It's pretty funny that the 2 of us are always there on those days. :D

So I got a phone call from the local record store that the one they were holding for me was available so I flew down and got 2.

75766_10100550383234474_9373682_76757959_217913_n.jpg

No. 5900, 5896. I guess there are more then 5000

Yep, we were already talking about that. Lucky you for getting it early!

Our question: If this record is said to be limited to 5,000 pressings, how come Mike has numbers 5500 and 5501? (see third picture below)

UPDATE: A contact at Universal Music has answered this question for us. Here's why:

"During the manufacturing process, some jackets get damaged during the numbering process. These jackets are destroyed, but we do not go back and re-set the numbering machine for each damaged jacket. We simply run numbers past 5,000. If we didn’t do this, we would end up with much less than 5,000 total units."

I'm not huge into collecting, but I was pretty excited about the prospect of hunting down a limited release of 5,000 from one of the biggest bands of all time... the fact that it isn't as limited as was indicated is taxing my excitement/willingness to spend, in the end I may just stick with a rip... it is a gorgeous package though.

Oh, cool. Thanks!

That smells of BS to me! They damaged nigh on a 1000 out of 5000? Surely they could just run the 1 to 5000, then 'reset' the counter to re-do the run of damaged ones? The limited run of 5000 was just to get mugs like me to try and buy one:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom