Why do people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Bono but this court case will do nothing for them...

Does anybody know why they would want to have these possesions back so badly? I know Bono says his Stetson was iconic and all that and that the woman may have well as stolen these items (and that would make it understandable to why they would them back) but just seems a lot for polaroids and some clothing items?

I also know the guys like to keep a very tight ship regarding their private lives and what not....and apparently the stylist was blackmailing them about writing another book...which really considering that she was only with them for 2 years most of the information in any new book would be mostly fabrication..so i doubt they would want lies printed about them...

Its also pretty old news...this has been running since 1999:huh:

I am wondering the same thing...I guess if someone STOLE something of yours and is planning on exploting your band you would not sit back and let it happen you would fight back ???

LJT said:
I love Bono but this court case will do nothing for them...

Does anybody know why they would want to have these possesions back so badly? I know Bono says his Stetson was iconic and all that and that the woman may have well as stolen these items (and that would make it understandable to why they would them back) but just seems a lot for polaroids and some clothing items?

There's GOT to be more to it than that. I mean, the article said the stuff is worth 3500 Euros. That's like pennies when it comes to court cases, there's no WAY an issue as simple as the articles are reporting would ever even make it into a courtroom. Somewhere, I saw blackmail mentioned, which is a serious matter. Perhaps the polaroids are the key here? Either way, this has got to be something larger than what the media is reporting.

bcrt2000 said:

but.. bono does think of himself as an authority of the aids/starvation/poverty crisis in africa..

But he does NOT think of himself as a doctor. Cruise's opinions went far beyond "some people are over medicated" to the no one should be on anti-depressants level -- ie., essentially medical advice.

I'll take my doctor's opinion (and my personal experience) over Tom Cruise's any fucking day.

U2Kitten said:

OH and the sunglasses! They HATE the sunglasses, think they make him look and seem pretentious and think they have made him a parody of himself. They want to take them off and stomp them.

I actually really dislike his constant wearing of the sunglasses. Hate is waaaay too strong a word for my reaction to them, but I do find them silly and wish he'd take them off sometimes. :rolleyes:

I do think the court case is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Anyone remember the Negativland thing from the '80s?

typhoon said:
No one hates Edge. Everyone loves Edge.

That's not true, this guy named Eric hates Edge, he thinks Edge has a dumb name and looks like he has Down Syndrome (or something like that).

Too bad Eric's an idiot and no one cares what he thinks.

What the fuck does Tom Cruise have to do with Bono?

I think the glasses are cool. It is his signiture look , the way Bono expresses himself .... I think peolpe are just jelouse because they cannot afford 500 pairs of $500 shades...I just think he sould not wear them so much ...I like looking into those blue eye!!!

indra said:

But he does NOT think of himself as a doctor. Cruise's opinions went far beyond "some people are over medicated" to the no one should be on anti-depressants level -- ie., essentially medical advice.

I'll take my doctor's opinion (and my personal experience) over Tom Cruise's any fucking day.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Tom Cruise. But you have to understand, he wasn't giving medical advice, he was simply showing what the viewpoint is of scientology on psychology and psychiatry.

The viewpoint of scientology is that anti-depressents simply hide your depressing feelings. You will build up a resistence to anti-depressents, yet your depression will still be inside you and will be carried on with you to your next life. Another thing that scientology says is wrong with anti-depressents is that they are drugs, and you should avoid drugs as much as possible. Scientology says that a solution to depression is auditing. In this process, the auditor asks you many questions over a period of time, as months and years pass by, the questions become more complicated. And at the end all your depressing feeling will exit your body and you will never have to take drugs nor will you get these feelings again.

I think we can all agree on this: when you're feeling upset, the best way to feel better is by talking to someone. Well scientology says that you can deal with a depression the same way, by talking. Only this time is a lot more talking and with professional help.

Remember, i'm simply stating Scientology views, so don't kill the messanger. I know this because my dad believes in scientology.

AtomicBono said:

That's not true, this guy named Eric hates Edge, he thinks Edge has a dumb name and looks like he has Down Syndrome (or something like that).

:down:

AtomicBono said:

Too bad Eric's an idiot and no one cares what he thinks.

:up:

AtomicBono said:

What the fuck does Tom Cruise have to do with Bono?

:shrug:
I was wondering the same thing myself... i'm about to read back over a couple of pages and find out.

Bono may come across as egotistical, obnoxious and gauche when he is trying to be charming. Plus, they think he flat out sucks as a singer and has no talent whatsoever.

But I think he is the coolest frontman. The passion and the emotion when he is on stage is so electric and riveting. Sometimes I get embarrassed when he sings, because he is not exactly a pop-like singer, ala American Idol. But he rocks. And he knows that this world has problems and he is not going to ignore them and not say anything.

Infinitum98 said:

I think we can all agree on this: when you're feeling upset, the best way to feel better is by talking to someone. Well scientology says that you can deal with a depression the same way, by talking. Only this time is a lot more talking and with professional help.

We don't all agree with that. I've never found that merely talking to someone else -- even trained counselor -- by itself helped me.

If the Scientology route helps him (or anyone else) that is fine with me. I just want the same acceptance of what works for me. And I notice in the interviews I've heard with him he does not say "this is Scientology's view on the issue" he pushes that it is "the" truth and everything else is pseudoscience.

And of course Scientology has a vested interest in debunking (or trying to) psychology.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

There's GOT to be more to it than that. I mean, the article said the stuff is worth 3500 Euros. That's like pennies when it comes to court cases, there's no WAY an issue as simple as the articles are reporting would ever even make it into a courtroom. Somewhere, I saw blackmail mentioned, which is a serious matter. Perhaps the polaroids are the key here? Either way, this has got to be something larger than what the media is reporting.

Yeh i know...personally i think it may be actually something to do with Edge and Adam rather than Bono and Larry..Bono and Larry were the ones who turned up at court (this is just completely an idea of my own, just a guess and sorry mods if this is deemed against forums rules and what not:huh: )...thats why i think they were not at the court case...Larry though may have turned up because well he seems to be the one that is really honour driven, you hurt a friend of mine and i will take you down kind of mentality i think...i love him for that....i think the polaroids may just be an infringement of their privacy of the guys thats why they are taking it so seriously...i mean no pics exist of Larry and his kids (well that i know of) if say some of the pics were just private moments between the guys family and friends i think they would react quite strongly to someone trying to exploit these images for profit...plus i believe it was said there was some issues that occurred during the between the stylist and 'certain members of the band'....

It just seems to em to be a relatively petty thing to take someone to court over a hat, trousers and sweater..so really its got to fo with the polaroids in my opinion (by the way i am not attacking the band for this..i have enough belief in them that there is something bigger in this that is at stake for them, just we don't know hmmm)

^^i really need to stop posting in my brothers account...:huh:

Sometimes I get embarrassed when he sings, because he is not exactly a pop-like singer, ala American Idol.

Isn't that a good thing? :wink:

Seriously, even though I like a fair amount of what's considered "cheesy pop," the last thing we need is yet another half-assed singer who sings five hundred notes in a giant, annoying melisma, instead of one good note.

But really, what do you mean by that? You'd rather Bono sang like a more typical "pop" singer?

Well, this court case is not going to do Bono any favours in the eyes of the general public (to differentiate from the rabid fans!). He, and the U2 organisation, are going after a not very well known stylist, who I would bet doesn't have a lot of money, so he can get his trousers back! Talk about Negativland all over again! :rolleyes:

All through their history, U2 and their management have been maniacal about controlling their public image. I'd like to know to what purpose? So Lola's got a few Polaroids? What could possibly be in them, minding that this is U2. We've seen them drinking, getting their willies out, what else is there? Larry smiling? :ohmy:

Christ, they coulda saved themselves the money.

:drunk:

The title of this thread MADE me drink a six pack of Heineken before I dared peek into here.

Hate and Bono do not belong in the same sentence.
Cheers! lol

blueeyedgirl said:
Well, this court case is not going to do Bono any favours in the eyes of the general public (to differentiate from the rabid fans!). He, and the U2 organisation, are going after a not very well known stylist, who I would bet doesn't have a lot of money, so he can get his trousers back! Talk about Negativland all over again! :rolleyes:

All through their history, U2 and their management have been maniacal about controlling their public image. I'd like to know to what purpose? So Lola's got a few Polaroids? What could possibly be in them, minding that this is U2. We've seen them drinking, getting their willies out, what else is there? Larry smiling? :ohmy:

Christ, they coulda saved themselves the money.

We're not allowed to allude to anything "bad" about U2 on these boards, and while I respect that, I'd like to state that every single person on this planet sometimes does things that are not meant to see the daylight, so why should U2 be any different. I'm inclined to think that has something to do with the fact they're being so eager to get these polaroids back, especially since they know how this courtcase is bringing them negative publicity.

I have a cousin who doesn't care for Bono. He's always trying to convince me to hate him too, which is ridiculous. But it is quite aggravating.

Ok as many of you know im still in my teens and have had many conversations with many people who are anti u2 and anti bono. i will try and put their points across here (i dont agree with most) and i applogise for any language that causes offence.

"Bono is a knob" - when probed on this one its because they think that a rock stars 'job' is 2 get drunk out of his head, trash hotel rooms. As we know this isn't our mans style, instead he prefers to use the 'power' that he has to change things that a lot of people would like to see changed.

"He produced shi.t music" well thats down to opinion i suppose, but most of these people listen to drivel like 50 cent which to my mind is talking over a drum beat. Its not exactly for example got the lush harmonies of a song such as the unforgettable fire.

"All U2's songs sound the same" im not even going to reply to that one.

I think though that u2 would have even more fans if bonos saving the world antics were not so inexctricably linked to the band. This however is just a sad reflection of the culture we live in and i am definetly not advocating him changing. The people i have talked about in this rant are the issue not people like bono, me and the majority here on interference.

There are many more things they mention that i haven't mentioned here but that boil down to things such as finding the lyrics to complex. To take my earlier example 50 cent lyrics would be 'i met a girl and slept with her' whereas u2's are far more complex, and better as well as having far much more relevance to life. If anyone wants to ask anything mroe feel free and i will be happy to answer from a younger persons point of view

Though the funniest bit was someone calling U2 a one hit wonder. This confused me terribly as i was trying to work out what the one hit was. I came to the conclusion MUST have been Vertigo. Shame.

Infinitum98 said:
People hate Bono and they don't even know shit about him. These people are especially idiot teenagers. I went through a lotta shit for being a U2 fan in the last 7 years that i have been one. But I recently realised that these morons don't hate U2 as much as they hate Bono. Stupid kids. :mad:

Bono is definitely the greatest human being that has ever lived. :wink: Okay, one of the greatest.

I used to think Bono was the coolest guy on the planet, and he definetly was during the Zoo TV era. Now he gets on my nerves by constantly being on TV spouting on about Africa etc, its a great cause but why does he bother being a singer in a band when his obvious passion now is not music but trying to save the world. He is now more a politician than a singer.:wink:

I think Bono is passionate about both his music and helping other....What is wrong with that?:eyebrow:

Carmelu2fan said:
I think Bono is passionate about both his music and helping other....What is wrong with that?:eyebrow:

it's good that he's passionate about both. but the concerts should be reserved for only the music. it's not good when the 2 passions meet. :wink:

If it was not for Bono speaking out about these very strong issues at his concerts , I am ashamed to admit I would not have even been aware of it!!! I am so glad that he cares and that he speaks about these things at his concerts...I guess people rather just ignore that fact that there are others that need help:tsk:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom