Why do people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bcrt2000 said:

exactly my point. you just called tom cruise a nut case for the same reason people call bono a nut case :)

The reason people call Cruise a nutcase is that he seems to actually believe he is an authority on psychology and psychiatry. If Bono were to tell AIDS patients to stop the treatment their doctors had perscribed because he "knew better" he would also be deserving of the nutcase label.

Lemonfix said:

Well, the thing is though, Tom's position on Psychiatry/medication is a controversial, really out-there theory based on pseudo-science. African Aid is TOTALLY different. Who in their right mind--no matter how they feel about Bono--thinks that care for the continent and the lives of its inhabitants is anything but a good thing? They may disagree on the best way to help Africa, or think that Bono has a giant ego to think he can "personally"save it (which would be wrong, but a different topic). People don't hate Bono because they disagree with him trying to save a continent of people from death and misery.

don't you remember bill o'reilly's interview?

o'reilly brought up the following points:

"they should fix the problem themselves"

"they have too much corruption to be trusted with money"

"throwing money at the problem won't fix it"

etc, etc, etc

some people say bono only helps africa to promote his albums (ed the sock)

i also know people who say that theres nothing wrong with africa and bono is a loon (i even know people from africa say this!)

imo, cruise's opinions that he expressed on the today show weren't as out there as it may seem-- he was trying to get at the FDA being in bed with the pharmaseutical industry, and blocking natural medcines being sold for the public, and stuff like that-- i don't think he meant to attack psychiatry, other than the fact that the usage of drugs to help people who have depression is a sham because if you have depression, its not a chemical imbalance, but its something else in your life which causes it... and he had a point that people should study something before they talk about it, but he came off too strong... it would be as if bono said to people who don't agree with him on africa "you don't know the history of africa. you don't know the history of the western world with africa, i do"

indra said:

The reason people call Cruise a nutcase is that he seems to actually believe he is an authority on psychology and psychiatry. If Bono were to tell AIDS patients to stop the treatment their doctors had perscribed because he "knew better" he would also be deserving of the nutcase label.

but.. bono does think of himself as an authority of the aids/starvation/poverty crisis in africa..

bcrt2000 said:

but.. bono does think of himself as an authority of the aids/starvation/poverty crisis in africa..

Bono has been to Africa and seen the problems for himself and has also done his homework. Cruise has been brainwashed by a freaky cult started by a sci-fi writer. Big difference.

Bono's shades said:

Bono has been to Africa and seen the problems for himself and has also done his homework. Cruise has been brainwashed by a freaky cult started by a sci-fi writer. Big difference.

what makes you think hes brainwashed?

guys, you have to be a bit more open minded... like bono says.. don't be so judgemental! as long as hes not following david koresh or something like that, hes not a nutcase :(

but anyways, my theory is is that we all know bono so well that nothing that he says is weird to us, but we don't know tom cruise so well, so all of a sudden hes outlandish when he tries to say something-- the thing is... most people don't try to counter what tom cruise says, they just label him as a weirdo.. to me thats awfully similar to people calling u2 lame/hasbeens/too old/stale without talking about the music, but rather doing some bono bashing

just to be clear, i don't know much about scientology, nor do i know much about tom cruise other than his fantastic movies which hes been making consistently for the last 10 years.. but this caught my eye... just like how it caught my eye that people make wild accusations about michael jackson without even knowing a thing about him except that some tabloid writer says he sleeps with kids (even though he never said that-- he said he gives the bed to kids and sleeps on the floor)...

Last edited:
Maybe my statement about Scientology was a bit strong, but I have a brother who has an anxiety disorder that made his
life unbearable until he finally got diagnosed and was put on medication. It's not like his life is a total picnic now, but he's still better off than he was before. As you might guess, I have issues with anyone making blanket statements about how using prescription drugs for treatment in such cases is baaaaaaad. :|

bcrt2000 said:

imo, cruise's opinions that he expressed on the today show weren't as out there as it may seem-- he was trying to get at the FDA being in bed with the pharmaseutical industry, and blocking natural medcines being sold for the public, and stuff like that-- i don't think he meant to attack psychiatry, other than the fact that the usage of drugs to help people who have depression is a sham because if you have depression, its not a chemical imbalance, but its something else in your life which causes it... and he had a point that people should study something before they talk about it, but he came off too strong... it would be as if bono said to people who don't agree with him on africa "you don't know the history of africa. you don't know the history of the western world with africa, i do"

Cruise IS against psychiatry, it is a tenent of his religion that it is a sham. And from what I gather from what he is said in the past, he gets his info from biased sources who believe things that are simply NOT TRUE(such as certain drugs were developed by the Nazis, etc.) And sure, depression can be caused by something bad happening in your life, but believe me, a lot of it is purely chemical, ask any medical professional, or a child with an otherwise happy life who can't figure out why they are sad and won't get out of bed.

But this is all off topic, the Tom Cruise debate goes on on other boards. I'm just saying that very few Bono detracters dislike the guy because of anything to do with Africa, and to compare Bono and Tom is like comparing apples and oranges. Apples and crazy, ill-informed oranges.

The reason I hate Bono is because he somehow convinced Edge, Adam and Larry to play Vertigo twice a night on the european leg.

:wink:

Lemonfix said:

Cruise IS against psychiatry, it is a tenent of his religion that it is a sham. And from what I gather from what he is said in the past, he gets his info from biased sources who believe things that are simply NOT TRUE(such as certain drugs were developed by the Nazis, etc.) And sure, depression can be caused by something bad happening in your life, but believe me, a lot of it is purely chemical, ask any medical professional, or a child with an otherwise happy life who can't figure out why they are sad and won't get out of bed.

But this is all off topic, the Tom Cruise debate goes on on other boards. I'm just saying that very few Bono detracters dislike the guy because of anything to do with Africa, and to compare Bono and Tom is like comparing apples and oranges. Apples and crazy, ill-informed oranges.

Bono = Tom Cruise

Bono has studied the history of Africa. Cruise has studied the history of psychology. They are now authorities. Thus they are now looney.

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:

As far as I'm concerned, he is. He's been there, multiple times, I don't know how on earth his mind works but he reads all these books and learns all these theories on economics and development and is able to understand them, he's consulted with politicians, doctors, researchers, pharmaceutical companies, grass-roots orgs, etc, etc....if he's not an expert, I'd like to see who it.....I'm not saying he's God and he's said plenty that I've not understood or don't agree with, but the man knows his stuff. There are loopholes and mistakes in his ideas, just like every other human being's.

And as for Tom Cruise being a nutcase, I meant that because he has some serious mental problems. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, the man needs help. It has nothing to do with what he said on TV or whatever....meds or not, Cruise has serious issues he needs to deal with.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

And as for Tom Cruise being a nutcase, I meant that because he has some serious mental problems. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, the man needs help. It has nothing to do with what he said on TV or whatever....meds or not, Cruise has serious issues he needs to deal with.

What are the issues? What are the serious mental problems?
I'm a curious cat. I mean we know Cruise is flaming gay and uses the media to promote his career and such. What else is there?

Otherwise...
Wow, you give a pass to Bono for being well-read and doing his research but Cruise is pyscho for his own research (albeit possibly biased research).

Flying FuManchu said:

Otherwise...
Wow, you give a pass to Bono for being well-read and doing his research but Cruise is pyscho for his own research (albeit possibly biased research).

God, how many times do I have to say it....Cruise was messed long before he even got into this whole psych. thing w/ scientology and whatnot. I'm sure Cruise is very well-read in that area, but like I also said earlier, I don't care enough or know enough about him. Why do we keep comparing him and his research to Bono? :huh: I'm sure he's a perfectly nice, intelligent person, but there's already a gazillion other threads on him around here so....

God, how many times do I have to say it....Cruise was messed long before he even got into this whole psych. thing w/ scientology and whatnot. I'm sure Cruise is very well-read in that area, but like I also said earlier, I don't care enough or know enough about him. Why do we keep comparing him and his research to Bono? :huh: I'm sure he's a perfectly nice, intelligent person, but there's already a gazillion other threads on him around here so....

Just say how Cruise is messed or has mental issues? Otherwise you're statements are probably not any different from statements made by people who hate on Bono.

Flying FuManchu said:

Just say how Cruise is messed or has mental issues? Otherwise you're statements are probably not any different from statements made by people who hate on Bono.

ADD, dyslexia, bla bla bla.....I've seen way too many people, especially kids, quickly diagnosed w/ things like this, but after working with one child in particular with these types of disorders, they are not to be taken lightly and have serious implications on one's daily life. Whether he's on meds or not, a scientologist or not, Cruise will unfortunately always have these mental problems to struggle with and I certainly don't envy him (or think negatively of him) for it.

So now you tell me what Tom Cruise's problems have to do with people hating Bono b/c now I am thoroughly confused...

ppl hate Bono for 2 general reasons-

1. Ignorance (most are ignorant/oblivious about Bono/U2 these are easy to discern). It's almost forgivable because they have no real knowledge only uninformed opinions.

2. Bono reminds ppl what they should be doing and ppl hate to be reminded about knowing what they already know. Bono reminds us all that we sholud be helping your fellow man on a daily basis.

db9

The people I know who hate him do so because they say he is cocky, arrogant, stuck on his own ego, and yells about the poor in Africa while unlike other celebrities doesn't donate a red cent of his own fortune. That's not me so don't kill the messenger! :yikes:

I'm not so into Bono that I need to defend him for everything, but I do like to have proof when people make claims so...I've always wondered where the people who say Bono is cocky and egotistical (like the people Kitten's referring to) are getting that from....like specific examples would be nice....let's ask our friends...

I'm not so into Bono that I need to defend him for everything, but I do like to have proof when people make claims so...I've always wondered where the people who say Bono is cocky and egotistical (like the people Kitten's referring to) are getting that from....like specific examples would be nice....let's ask our friends...

Yeah I don't like it when people make unfair judgements without backing it up. One guy I'm talking about got his opinion from a recent Chicago Tribune article, he didn't like the way he acted or talked about his fans. He sent me a link but I can't get into it. I'm sure someone here must have it, it was very long. BTW this guy is a U2 fan and used to like Bono. Other people just think he comes off as an ass who's stuck on his own self importance, is not sincere about his humanitarian stuff (they use the fact that he never gives till it hurts like Gates did) or they are just plain annoyed by his constant politicking, think he's coming over here telling Americans what to do, etc. :shrug:

OH and the sunglasses! They HATE the sunglasses, think they make him look and seem pretentious and think they have made him a parody of himself. They want to take them off and stomp them.

Disclaimer: These opinions are those I have heard and do not necessarily reflect mine, or those of interference.com;)

Last edited:
Can we not drag the whole Tom Cruise thing into the U2 topics? I mean, I can't stand the little twerp, but Interference is the one place we can go to avoid that whole media shitstorm. Can we keep it that way? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

If you have to talk about it, take it to the non-U2 areas of the site.

diamond said:
2. Bono reminds ppl what they should be doing and ppl hate to be reminded about knowing what they already know. Bono reminds us all that we sholud be helping your fellow man on a daily basis.

:up: :up: totally true

Just yesterday on the "pop-news" of a local radio station, there was a "newsflash" on Bono, saying that he's a hypocrit for not donating any of his own money whilst knocking on politicians doors for larger Africa-budgets. :huh:

That said, this is the same radio station that got a bitchy email from me after I read their announcement on their website that they would be broadcasting a U2-special in light of U2 being in the country to promote their new album called VERTIGO I had to shed some light into the caves of these peoples studios on the difference between a single and an album.

:|

the soul waits said:
Just yesterday on the "pop-news" of a local radio station, there was a "newsflash" on Bono, saying that he's a hypocrit for not donating any of his own money whilst knocking on politicians doors for larger Africa-budgets. :huh:

That said, this is the same radio station that got a bitchy email from me after I read their announcement on their website that they would be broadcasting a U2-special in light of U2 being in the country to promote their new album called VERTIGO I had to shed some light into the caves of these peoples studios on the difference between a single and an album.

:|

You should send them another bitchy e-mail saying that Bono and his band are donating about $6,000,000 from their Vertigo tour profits to Africa. Also, it is much easier to just donate money then what Bono does. Bono is probably one of the hardest working human beings when it comes to support for Africa. So fuck off! (not you) :wink:

ADD, dyslexia, bla bla bla.....I've seen way too many people, especially kids, quickly diagnosed w/ things like this, but after working with one child in particular with these types of disorders, they are not to be taken lightly and have serious implications on one's daily life. Whether he's on meds or not, a scientologist or not, Cruise will unfortunately always have these mental problems to struggle with and I certainly don't envy him (or think negatively of him) for it.

So Cruise has ADD and dyslexia? Or you've seen kids that have these problems? Or did you observe Cruise having these problems.

So now you tell me what Tom Cruise's problems have to do with people hating Bono b/c now I am thoroughly confused...

I didn't say Tom Cruise's problems specifically cause people to hate Bono (though you never know). People hate on Cruise for his celebrity, success, and at times vocal nature IMO.

Not any different then Bono. People try to make the differentiation between Cruise's "expertise" on pyschology and Bono's apparent expertise in terms of African aid. Why? Both did there own studying on the subjects. Just b/c Bono's topic is more of subject one can get behind b/c it pulls at the heart strings as opposed to Cruise's disagreement with a field that in itself isn't considered as a rock solid science (compared to other sciences) doesn't make Bono any less of a potential "nutcase" to people. I remember Bono equating poverty as being the cause of terrorism when there was a study that was shown that contradicted Bono's case. Does Bono's theory even though it makes sense but is potentially wrong make him a fruitcake?

Bono, and U2, have never been in the habit of announcing their own donations and financial support of any cause to the public at large.

I suspect this is because they are Christians.

Matthew, Chapter 6--"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men."

"But when thou doest alms, let not they left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret and thy Father which seeth in secret Himself shall reward thee openly."

I'm not a Christian, but I've always admired that U2 follow the words of their own religion; they are better Christians than many I know.

Tom Cruise as an actor is using his celebrity to advance his belief that psychiatry prescribes too much medication. People attack him because they believe people have been helped by psychiatry.
Bono as a musician is using his celebrity to advance his belief that giving billions of dollars will solve poverty in Africa. People attack him because they feel the vast majority of money donated to Africa goes to dictatorships for personal wealth and to continue the cycle of repression and poverty.

Forget the cause or who is correct, but whenever you have an individual whose talent is entertainment trying to discuss medical treatment decisions or G8 world policies they will be attacked for not sticking to what they know best. We are U2 fans and understand Bono's genius, sincerity and generosity. How many of you watched Primtime live last month and saw Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt discuss Africa's poverty issues. How do you expect uninformed people to laugh at them and not Bono?

People will always find a reason to put down a celebrity no matter what they do...that is just how the media works...the media could be used for good ,but it is mostley used to spread rumors and to display distruction and chaos.:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom