Who else here thinks When I Look at the World is a really great song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, never got into it.

Maybe one day it will grow on me, like miami or velvet dress.

WILATW is the first song from ATYCLB that gave me goosebumps and made me cry :sad: . I love everything about it!

I think When I Look At the World suffered from the track order, after Kite, In a Little While and Wild Honey it sort of blends into this part of the album I always considered the weakest not because of any fault of the songs. I love how underneath the peaceful surface of WILATW you can hear a harder song trying to break free. During Edge's solo there is a distorted guitar in the background and Adam's bass line is very driving here. The desperation in the lyrics to see what others see and the inability to do so is wonderfully expressed in Bono's desperate vocals. Its a song that they would have been too subtle for them during Pop yet is very Pop influenced. And I love the lines "I'm in the waiting room/ Can't see for the smoke/ I think of you and your holy book/ While the rest of us choke" Its another of Bono's lines that can interpreted in at least two ways.

It's a terriffic song, and I felt very lucky to be one of the few to hear it live. I never realized until much later that that was the only time they played it.

I remeber when I got ATYCLB and I wasn't really into the album that much. But the two songs that really stood out for me were Kite and WILATW. I pretty much listened to those two on repeat. lol

(ATYCLB grew on me later on, though. ;) )

I've always loved it. It's completely underrated, IMO. Wasn't it also the last song anyone heard from ATYCLB (after the snippets and early leaks?). There was always the question at the time of why this song wasn't leaked until the end.

As far as the U2 catalogue goes, I'd put this towards the bottom. I think they are capable of much better songs. I really enjoy the song and it beats much of what's out there today on the radio, but as far as "U2 music", I'd rate it a 5 out of 10.

OK song, with a brilliant guitar solo in the middle. If only it were used in a better song...

djerdap said:
OK song, with a brilliant guitar solo in the middle. If only it were used in a better song...

Nah, I don't agree with that at all. The guitar is great but it's the lyrics that make the song what it is, IMO. Bono being completely honest about how he despairs of half of what goes on, trying to make it better by changing perspectives, and questioning himself because he's not manging it...

All a case of personal taste, I suppose, as always.

I just feel the song as a whole is too pedestrian..it seems like it just needed *something* to make it into a great song.

I like this song a lot but I agree with this statement. It needs something to make it great. The solo and the "i can't wait...'" part are spectacular though.

Maybe a little more something would've helped... but I like it. The musical arrangement is good and Bono's chorus is nice too.

a couple of months ago, I randomly played WILATW and totally fell in love with it

when I got ATYCLB, I quickly grew tired of the second half of the disc and never really listened to it... but WILATW is really a diamond in the rough

"When your thoughts are too expensive, to ever want to keep..."

Great line.

I really like "When I Look At The World" it's a ambient rocker.

Everyone can hear Miracle Drug in something...
Beautiful Day, With or Without You, When I Look at the World and the whole fuckin' Šaban Šaulić discography!

While I think it's a good song it always sounds unfinished to me, or unrealized rather. If it had been a b-side it would have been hailed as one of U2's hidden gems. I think with a bit more work they could have done something really special with that song.

djerdap said:
Everyone can hear Miracle Drug in something...
Beautiful Day, With or Without You, When I Look at the World and the whole fuckin' Šaban Šaulić discography!

Kada čujem Šaban Šauuuuuuuulića!!!

About the song WILATW- it's just boring to me. If you want to you can kill me(but i'm fast), so what if i don't like it, personally I HATE LAST 4 SONGS OF ATYCLB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and like you never heard a word noone, c'mon and you can speak English, yeah, wright!!

Back
Top Bottom