What we really do know about NLOTH ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was a great explanation, and i didn't know (or I forgot, cause i have read the Q magazine) "the fact" that "MOS" was created during the "NLOTH" sessions off of chord changes that Eno suggested.

However, like you said, it's a win win situation.

:wink:

no worries.

In reality...until we actually HEAR the new songs, nothing is really a complete fact per say, but I'm about 99.9% sure of what I mentioned.

It would be funny if upon first listen of MOS I heard the line: "I was drinking some wine, and it turned to blood...."

:doh:

Do you have a link to more descriptions? I missed the rest of yesterday's craziness. Did Cross put out any descriptions?

Here's what he said:

Expect to hear "Get On Your Boots" on the radio within ten days. Maybe sooner. Check U2.com | U2.com for the latest.

There are a lot of electronic sounds. Larry plays some kind of electronic drums, too. Bono rhymes "submarine" with "gasoline."

no worries.

In reality...until we actually HEAR the new songs, nothing is really a complete fact per say, but I'm about 99.9% sure of what I mentioned.

It would be funny if upon first listen of MOS I heard the line: "I was drinking some wine, and it turned to blood...."

:doh:

Hah, that would be pretty funny though.

Thank you for this thread Zootvtourist! I'm glad someone put it all together like this. All this huge threads are impossible to read or go back to where the important information is. All this huge amounts of pages and merging of threads are making this part of the forum a little difficult to know about the new record or to know what's the latest news.
:wave: thank you for the flowers. By the way, I made an update a few pages ago (before the rather off-topic "Mery"-round. Please friends, stop this now. It just might result in this beautiful, a bit more "anayltical" thread to be closed – which would be a pity, I guess:|).
Within this update I inserted the additional info on GOYB, that was given by Mr. Alan Cross yesterday. Hope, you like that new piece of the mosaic, too:wink:...

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/what-we-really-do-know-about-nloth-191972-14.html

Here's what he said:

Expect to hear "Get On Your Boots" on the radio within ten days. Maybe sooner. Check U2.com | U2.com for the latest.

There are a lot of electronic sounds. Larry plays some kind of electronic drums, too. Bono rhymes "submarine" with "gasoline."

:ohmy:

so......

that was it, huh? :doh:

damn.

I missed all the fun yesterday because I chose to go out and get drunk. :sad:

When I came here this morning and saw the two threads about the radio guy I thought the world was coming to an end. :doh:

:ohmy:

so......

that was it, huh? :doh:

damn.

Sounds quite like
a) he wasn't allowed to say more ("check U2.com" looks very official, hm) or
b) he really heard only a short snippet and hasn't much more to say.

...how I long to hear that tune, that will be a kind of musical key to understand the sound of the "handmade and electronics" NLOTH ...:drool:

Don't know where to post this, but I was googling Allan Cross and came across a question answer thing he had going on with his fans regarding a myriad of music questions and inquiries. Its actually real cool and informative. Any who....this one little tid bit stuck out at me. Here's the question and answer:

Dale Asks: What’s the most-heard song in the world today?

Alan Answers: I know you’re probably expecting me to say something like “Yesterday” by the Beatles or “Happy Birthday.” The truth is that the most-heard musical composition on a daily basis on planet earth is probably the four-second start-up flourish we hear when we boot up our Windows computers. With more than 200 million copies in use, most of the world is exposed to that melody (or its variations) on a daily basis. By the way, Brian Eno (the producer behind U2 and a billion other bands) was paid $35,000 to write the startup music for Windows 95. Robert Fripp (King Crimson) was part of the team that came up with the startup music for Windows Vista.

here's the link: The Beat Goes On - Ask Alan Cross

Here's what he said:

He also said it was good and that it was an interesting NEW sound

Not much but the new sound comment makes me think this won't be Vertigo 2 like people were worried about

Not much but the new sound comment makes me think this won't be Vertigo 2 like people were worried about
:up: Yes, I think all the known sources point towards this direction now ...:wave:

I don't understand why people are so concerned about Vertigo part 2. That comparison, picking up where it left off, just means it's a full on rock song. It's as though people stopped reading the other more detailed descriptions of the song. Reading comprehension is required here.

So what does the leaks tell us?
Track 1: New sound, doesn´t sound like anything U2 has done before.
Track 2: Glam rock riff song. Edge on fire.
Track 3: The album´s With Or Without You. A U2-classic.
Track 4: The hardest song U2 has made. Molten guitar at the end.
Track 5: Classic U2 song. Best U2 song ever?
Track 6: The album´s Orbison song.
Track 7: Great guitar solo. Some Beach Boys in the chorus. And Larry sings!
Track 8: You haven´t heard U2 like this before. Definitely. Dance!
Track 9: Bono sings like a bird about fishes.
Track 10: Up tempo rocker with a word that U2 hasn´t used before used several times.
Track 11: Great solo. Edge on fire.
Track 12: Closer about living with a handicap and how it affects relations.

This is some of the leaks from NLOTH and the two previous albums (and some made up stuff...) applied on Achtung Baby. Would it have helped you to get what kind of album Achtung Baby would be?
Personally, I don´t think the leaks from the U2 staff actually says very much about NLOTH.

Track 10: Up tempo rocker with a word that U2 hasn´t used before used several times.

This is some of the leaks from NLOTH and the two previous albums (and some made up stuff...) applied on Achtung Baby. Would it have helped you to get what kind of album Achtung Baby would be?
Personally, I don´t think the leaks from the U2 staff actually says very much about NLOTH.

All I have to say is a big :huh:

I think we should look to the "middle" Edge solo on Lady With The Spinning Head for a taste of what the new album might (hopefully) sound like. It has a nice middle-eastern vibe to it, as well as non-predictable chord changes.

Another point of view, then – thanx for sharing it ...

I think we should look to the "middle" Edge solo on Lady With The Spinning Head for a taste of what the new album might (hopefully) sound like. It has a nice middle-eastern vibe to it, as well as non-predictable chord changes.
Cool idea, and I still guess "Love And Peace" or even more "Fast Cars" might go there, too:wink:

There was a great discussion a few days ago, concluding in kind of a theory, that U2 albums pretty always have tunes, that kind of look back and on the opposite also tunes, that are a step forward, pointing towards a new direction.

My quotes tunes are those, that might fit for the theory to differ a bit from the main sound/core/arrangements/compositions of the album HTDAAB – and follow the road, that ended with NLOTH at the moment ...

Get (on) your boots (on)

Hmm, reading all about the lyrics that are supposed to be in that song, Get your boots on is definitely Beach clip 3 (or the u2.com riff, which by itself sounds pretty cool). Beach clip 3 includes the line "You don't know how beautiful you are" as mentioned in the RS article. One can hear that very clear.

Now, I believe Get your boots on is the weakest from the songs from NLOTH I heared so far. I just hope they worked on that song a lot since the beach clip version. It sounds like Vertigo but not beeing as melodic. The chorus ... I don't know it's not really a brilliant tune. I am not worried about electronic, I am worried I am not going to like that song...:sad:

Alan Cross didn't say the song was brilliant or excellent, he said it is just GOOD - that's too little of euphoria for the first single after a few years.

remember Alan wrote on twitter so was a quick update to a fellow friend

good is probably the first word that came to mind as he typed, not stupendous or other

Tracklisting (possible based on the U2.com clip).

1 - Magnificent
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - Moment of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Crazy Tonight
6 - Get On Your Boots
7 - Stand Up (Comedy)
8 - Breathe
9 - ??orn
10 - No Line on the Horizon
11 - Cedars of Lebanon

1 - Magnificent // 5:44 // Nearly finished // New Eno Version - Mix Debate [a lot of other stuff written]

Slow building anthem with the ambience of the Unforgettable Fire and laced with the wide eyed wonder of U2's earlier albums. Edge here is at his most dynamic. Features the line:"Only love can reset your mind".

"Only love can leave such a mark," Bono roars on what sounds like an instant U2 anthem. Will.i.am has already done what Bono calls "the most extraordinary" remix of the tune.

2 - Every Breaking Wave // 4:13 // Priority to finish // Vocals TBC - Possible drums [a lot of other stuff written]

Lillywhite cues up the track, a slow burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing rocking forward and backwards on his studio chair............he performs a note perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a
metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line "I dont know if I'm that strong". Two takes and 10 minutes later its done. Key line "Every Sailor knows that the Sea/Is a friend made enemy"

A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]," he adds.

3 - Moment of Surrender // 7:12 // Nearly finished (Brian would like to talk about this.) // Bono - Vox > End? Edge - Piano Bass is eating up song? 3rd verse Eno idea

Georgiously melodic 7 minute song that already has the air of the U2 classic about it, with lyrics about dark stars and existential crises:"I did not notice the passers-by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take. This album's One.

This seven-minute-long track is one of the album's most ambitious, merging a Joshua Tree-style gospel feel with a hypnotically loping bass line and a syncopated beat.

4 - Unknown Caller // 6:06 // Finished // Great Just need [something]

Opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song".

This midtempo track could have fit on All That You Can't Leave Behind. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge.

5 - Crazy Tonight // 4:16 // Priority to finish // Vocals - TBC New gtrs to be added. [something]

Upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight",

Bono - "Which sounds like a T=shirt slogan to me" notes the singer. Brian Eno said that Crazy Tonight was in a bad way which surprised Larry.

"It's kind of like this album's 'Beautiful Day' — it has that kind of joy to it," Bono says. With the refrain "I know I'll go crazy/If I don't go crazy tonight," it's the band's most unabashed pop tune since "Sweetest Thing."

6 - Get on Your Boots // 3:25 // Nearly finished // A few touches up on new Dec mix

Formerly titled Sexy Boots this demented electro grunge employs a proto-rockn'roll riff, but propelled into the future, with a hip-hop twist in the middle. Feature bono in flirtacious, self depreciating mode: "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations".

The likely first single, this blazing, fuzzed-out rocker picks up where "Vertigo" left off. "It started just with me playing and Larry drumming," the Edge recalls. "And we took it from there."

7 - Stand Up (Comedy) // ?:?? // Finished // Steve Mix Poss. tweaks [a lot of other stuff written]

Rousing groove-based rocker with shades of Led Zep and Cream. Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections.

Edge - "Stand Up is just a great gutsy performance from everyone. Stand Up is a swaggering rock and roll song with a real groove.........there's some dirt in what your playing...............Yes, its totally unreasonable. If you're going to do a big guitar song I think you need to push it all the way. It started with a Moroccan rhythm and gone rock n roll."

Another hard rock tune, powered by an unexpectedly slinky groove and a riff that lands between the Beatles' "Come Together" and Led Zep's "Heartbreaker." Edge recently hung out with Jimmy Page and Jack White for the upcoming documentary It Might Get Loud, and their penchant for blues-based rock rubbed off: "I was just fascinated with seeing how Jimmy played those riffs so simply, and with Jack as well," he says.

8 - Breathe // 4:42 // Second in priority // Bono - Vox > The 'Dec' Mix debate

Arabic cello gives way to joyful chorus. Brian Eno says this is U2's best ever song. It's 8pm and Eno, Bono and Will.i.am are on Olympic Studio 1 writing a cello part for a song called Breathe that U2 - a touch ambitiously - are only beginning to record in ths final fortnight, never mind mix.............the singer belts out a rollicking vocal featuring door-to-door salesman, a cockatoo and a chorus that begins "Step out into the street.......sing your heart out".

9 - ?orn (Prov.) // 5:58 // Nearly finished // Intro to be decided on? New Eno Edits + treatment

10 - No Line on the Horizon // 4:11 // Finished // Cenzo Mix - The Biz!

Began life as a slow paced Eno-esque ambient treatment, before being dramatically reworked in the Olympic Sessions into an abrasive punk-rock tune akin to Vertigo, with its "No! Line!" chorus chant.

Bono - "It's the Buzzcocks meets Bow Wow Wow", reckons Bono.

The title track's relentless groove began as a group improvisation. "It's very raw and very to the point," says the Edge. "It's like rock & roll 2009."

11 - Cedars of Lebanon // ?:?? // Finished // * Extended edit debate Needs approval?

Daniel lanois instigated closer that finds Bono imagining himself as a weary, lovelorn war correspondent "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Ends with the possibly telling line "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you"

"On this album, you can feel what is going on in the world at the window, scratching at the windowpane," says Bono, who sings this atmospheric ballad from the point of view of a war correspondent.

Tracklisting (possible based on the U2.com clip).

1 - Magnificent
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - Moment of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Crazy Tonight
6 - Get On Your Boots
7 - Stand Up (Comedy)
8 - Breathe
9 - ??orn
10 - No Line on the Horizon
11 - Cedars of Lebanon

1 - Magnificent // 5:44 // Nearly finished // New Eno Version - Mix Debate [a lot of other stuff written]

Slow building anthem with the ambience of the Unforgettable Fire and laced with the wide eyed wonder of U2's earlier albums. Edge here is at his most dynamic. Features the line:"Only love can reset your mind".

"Only love can leave such a mark," Bono roars on what sounds like an instant U2 anthem. Will.i.am has already done what Bono calls "the most extraordinary" remix of the tune.

2 - Every Breaking Wave // 4:13 // Priority to finish // Vocals TBC - Possible drums [a lot of other stuff written]

Lillywhite cues up the track, a slow burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing rocking forward and backwards on his studio chair............he performs a note perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a
metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line "I dont know if I'm that strong". Two takes and 10 minutes later its done. Key line "Every Sailor knows that the Sea/Is a friend made enemy"

A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]," he adds.

3 - Moment of Surrender // 7:12 // Nearly finished (Brian would like to talk about this.) // Bono - Vox > End? Edge - Piano Bass is eating up song? 3rd verse Eno idea

Georgiously melodic 7 minute song that already has the air of the U2 classic about it, with lyrics about dark stars and existential crises:"I did not notice the passers-by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take. This album's One.

This seven-minute-long track is one of the album's most ambitious, merging a Joshua Tree-style gospel feel with a hypnotically loping bass line and a syncopated beat.

4 - Unknown Caller // 6:06 // Finished // Great Just need [something]

Opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song".

This midtempo track could have fit on All That You Can't Leave Behind. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge.

5 - Crazy Tonight // 4:16 // Priority to finish // Vocals - TBC New gtrs to be added. [something]

Upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight",

Bono - "Which sounds like a T=shirt slogan to me" notes the singer. Brian Eno said that Crazy Tonight was in a bad way which surprised Larry.

"It's kind of like this album's 'Beautiful Day' — it has that kind of joy to it," Bono says. With the refrain "I know I'll go crazy/If I don't go crazy tonight," it's the band's most unabashed pop tune since "Sweetest Thing."

6 - Get on Your Boots // 3:25 // Nearly finished // A few touches up on new Dec mix

Formerly titled Sexy Boots this demented electro grunge employs a proto-rockn'roll riff, but propelled into the future, with a hip-hop twist in the middle. Feature bono in flirtacious, self depreciating mode: "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations".

The likely first single, this blazing, fuzzed-out rocker picks up where "Vertigo" left off. "It started just with me playing and Larry drumming," the Edge recalls. "And we took it from there."

7 - Stand Up (Comedy) // ?:?? // Finished // Steve Mix Poss. tweaks [a lot of other stuff written]

Rousing groove-based rocker with shades of Led Zep and Cream. Edge mentions that they're trying to keep Stand Up in a rough state and not overproduce it by putting it through Pro-Tools which cleans up imperfections.

Edge - "Stand Up is just a great gutsy performance from everyone. Stand Up is a swaggering rock and roll song with a real groove.........there's some dirt in what your playing...............Yes, its totally unreasonable. If you're going to do a big guitar song I think you need to push it all the way. It started with a Moroccan rhythm and gone rock n roll."

Another hard rock tune, powered by an unexpectedly slinky groove and a riff that lands between the Beatles' "Come Together" and Led Zep's "Heartbreaker." Edge recently hung out with Jimmy Page and Jack White for the upcoming documentary It Might Get Loud, and their penchant for blues-based rock rubbed off: "I was just fascinated with seeing how Jimmy played those riffs so simply, and with Jack as well," he says.

8 - Breathe // 4:42 // Second in priority // Bono - Vox > The 'Dec' Mix debate

Arabic cello gives way to joyful chorus. Brian Eno says this is U2's best ever song. It's 8pm and Eno, Bono and Will.i.am are on Olympic Studio 1 writing a cello part for a song called Breathe that U2 - a touch ambitiously - are only beginning to record in ths final fortnight, never mind mix.............the singer belts out a rollicking vocal featuring door-to-door salesman, a cockatoo and a chorus that begins "Step out into the street.......sing your heart out".

9 - ?orn (Prov.) // 5:58 // Nearly finished // Intro to be decided on? New Eno Edits + treatment

10 - No Line on the Horizon // 4:11 // Finished // Cenzo Mix - The Biz!

Began life as a slow paced Eno-esque ambient treatment, before being dramatically reworked in the Olympic Sessions into an abrasive punk-rock tune akin to Vertigo, with its "No! Line!" chorus chant.

Bono - "It's the Buzzcocks meets Bow Wow Wow", reckons Bono.,

The title track's relentless groove began as a group improvisation. "It's very raw and very to the point," says the Edge. "It's like rock & roll 2009."

11 - Cedars of Lebanon // ?:?? // Finished // * Extended edit debate Needs approval?

Daniel lanois instigated closer that finds Bono imagining himself as a weary, lovelorn war correspondent "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Ends with the possibly telling line "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you"

"On this album, you can feel what is going on in the world at the window, scratching at the windowpane," says Bono, who sings this atmospheric ballad from the point of view of a war correspondent.
:up: Great work. Thanx, mate for keeping this thread updated – just returned from office and :ohmy::applaud:

P.S. I'm so waiting for the single to turn up, impossible to think, I can stand another week. But cheers to Dave Fanning, I'm so happy we have an official release-timetable to look at now ... ...

Back
Top Bottom