what if your god is gay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

Not just "sez me". The Bible "sez" so. The Bible is my holy book; it is what I believe.

and not everyone who believes in God, or in Christ as the savior, believes in the infallability, let alone the literalness, of the Bible.

it's a text, like any other book, and it's meaning is subject to interpretation.

and the postmodernist in me knows that there are no correct readings, only endlessly contested valid readings.

it seems to me that if Jesus were a man, he wanted to have sex. one so charismatic as he would have no problems finding willing partners.

i make no claims, but only offer observations

Irvine511 said:
and not everyone who believes in God, or in Christ as the savior, believes in the infallability, let alone the literalness, of the Bible.

it's a text, like any other book, and it's meaning is subject to interpretation.

:bow:

inerrant, yes; infallable, never.

Irvine511 said:

Nope, but I do, and that's why I'm going to speak out every single time I hear anyone defaming him. You have the legal right to say what you believe, and Ihave the legal right to say what I believe.

Irvine511 said:
it's a text, like any other book, and it's meaning is subject to interpretation..

Everybody will have an interpretation, but not every interpretation is correct. Truth is absolute. I'm either wrong in what I'm believe about Christ, or I'm right.

Irvine511 said:
and the postmodernist in me knows that there are no correct readings, only endlessly contested valid readings.

And the absolutist in me knows that there has to be one truth, and that there is indeed a "correct reading" of the scriptures. So I guess we're at an impasse. We hold extreme opposite world views; you are a relativist, and I am an absolutist.

Irvine511 said:
it seems to me that if Jesus were a man, he wanted to have sex. one so charismatic as he would have no problems finding willing partners.

It may "seem" that way to you, but that doesn't make it so. First, not every male wants to have sex. Second, the Bible says that Christ was tempted by the devil, but that he never gave in to temptation. If the Bible is true, and I believe it is, Christ always wanted to do what his Father willed. Even in the garden, when he prayed in agony over what he knew would happen, he didn't want to feel the pain of the cross, but he always wanted to stay true to God. And he did.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

But isn't postmodernism "out of fashion" now in philosophy circles?

I'm inclined to believe that there are indeed absolute truths.

80sU2isBest said:

I don't understand the distinction. Would you mind explaining to me?

Sure. "Infallable" means you believe everything in the Bible, word for word, LITERALLY, "without error in anything". And yes one is a hypocrite if one thinks s/he can pick and chose.

"Inerrant" means "without error in purpose", the Bible IS the authority on what it's SUPPOSED to be the authority on (ex. the Bible is not the authority on and does not claim to be the authority on scientific matters, such as the value of pi), the Bible as a vehicle for special revelation via the Holy Spirit, etc.

Very VERY different words w/ very different implications. As a Calvinist and member of a Christian Reformed church, I believe in the inerrancy of Scripture.

Some people are so narrow minded. Isn't it possible that things aren't the way you thought them to be???? Isn't it possible that "everything you know is wrong"?

unosdostres14 said:
Isn't it possible that "everything you know is wrong"?

Consider the converse - isn't it possible that everything you know isn't wrong?

I've questioned the concept of "fornication" in recent years. People in Jesus' time married at around the age of 13. Pretty much, that means the minute you had a sex drive, you were married, so you couldn't commit the modern definition of "fornication." You could only commit "adultery." So that makes me wonder what they were referring to in the Bible, which we translated as "fornication"? It wouldn't be the first time that we misinterpreted a foreign cultural concept.

I guess that means that Mary "fornicated" with God to create Jesus?

Melon

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Sure. "Infallable" means you believe everything in the Bible, word for word, LITERALLY, "without error in anything". And yes one is a hypocrite if one thinks s/he can pick and chose.

"Inerrant" means "without error in purpose", the Bible IS the authority on what it's SUPPOSED to be the authority on (ex. the Bible is not the authority on and does not claim to be the authority on scientific matters, such as the value of pi), the Bible as a vehicle for special revelation via the Holy Spirit, etc.

Thanks, I was quite bumfuzzled.

Goodnight

unosdostres14 said:
Some people are so narrow minded. Isn't it possible that things aren't the way you thought them to be???? Isn't it possible that "everything you know is wrong"?
So if I am true to any personal belief I have that you don't share, I'm narrow minded? Would you mind explaining how this is so?

Macfistowannabe said:
So if I am true to any personal belief I have that you don't share, I'm narrow minded? Would you mind explaining how this is so?
I didn't think it was possible.

A_Wanderer said:
If my God is gay then gay's don't exist.

*find the logical fallacy

Logical fallacy found, assuming you don't believe in God.

Back
Top Bottom