US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Irvine511 said:
Time is wondering if Al Gore couldn't step in and just take over, probably choose Obama as his VP, which is apparently what everyone actually wanted in the first place.

sounds great to me.

i also like the idea of Obama/Bloomberg.

I saw that. Yeah, Al Gore would be great. I like the idea of Obama/Bloomberg. That would get the Jewish vote and maybe some Republican votes.

U2democrat said:
I do love how she's willing to tear down one of the brightest stars in politics in the last 40 years to risk 4 more years of Bush for her own gain :happy:

This pisses me off big time. She's running a negative campaign dammit!:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

phanan said:
I'm getting tired of this.

We need a resolution on the Democratic side, and soon, before both campaigns make themselves look so stupid that neither one will have a chance in hell of winning in November.

I agree.

Chelsea Clinton, at a campagin stop at Butler University in Indiana, got asked if Lewinsky-gate hurts her mother's credibility, and she responded by telling the questioner that it was none of his business.

Thoughts?

I think it was an idiotic question to ask. I haven't been a Hillary fan for a while now, but a husband's prior infidelity should have no bearing on a wife's credibility in her profession. Her conduct and actions in that profession should.

namkcuR said:
Chelsea Clinton, at a campagin stop at Butler University in Indiana, got asked if Lewinsky-gate hurts her mother's credibility, and she responded by telling the questioner that it was none of his business.

Thoughts?
Well, what would you say if you were point-blank publically asked to discuss your own father's marital indiscretions and what your mother's choices in responding to them ostensibly reveal about her character? Considering Chelsea's relationship to that situation, I'd say that "None of your business" was an appropriate response. Whether or not voters will see it that way is up to them.

I laughed at Sen Obama's bowling on the news. Size 13 1/2? :ohmy: Bowling shoes are always funny, especially big ass ones :wink:

I don't know which was funnier, that or Bush getting booed at the Nationals game. Actually that was sad.

That was sad. I wouldn't boo the man at a baseball game...unless he were pulling for the Yankees :wink:

Seriously though, as much as he angers and frustrates me, if there's one thing I like about him it's that he's a baseball fan, and sometimes you just have to put politics aside and enjoy the game. Have...oh what's it called...fun! yeah, that's it, fun! Something generally foreign to FYM.

U2democrat said:
That was sad. I wouldn't boo the man at a baseball game...unless he were pulling for the Yankees :wink:

Seriously though, as much as he angers and frustrates me, if there's one thing I like about him it's that he's a baseball fan, and sometimes you just have to put politics aside and enjoy the game. Have...oh what's it called...fun! yeah, that's it, fun! Something generally foreign to FYM.

You also have to remember that several years ago he owned the Texas Rangers, and there were some questionable moves made during his ownership...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You also have to remember that several years ago he owned the Texas Rangers, and there were some questionable moves made during his ownership...

Frankly, I don't care anymore. That's the past, his time is also up.

I'm not excusing him for his past misdeeds, i'm just saying, it's a freaking game, let's enjoy it.

Psst...irvine, mrs springsteen and others inc Mods I had nothing to do with this-IT WASN'T ME:

580_HillaryScary.jpg

heather%20podesta.gif

Hillary supporter keeps up the 'rhymes-with-witch' theme

The b-word isn't just for Saturday Night Live anymore.

A top fundraiser for Hillary Clinton has embraced the "bitch" moniker, tying it to an Elton John fundraiser for the candidate.

Heather Podesta, a prominent Washington lobbyist and wife of one of Clinton's top Pennsylvania strategists, sent out a mass email today soliciting contributions for "Elton & Hillary: One Night Only," a $1,000 per-person concert next week at Radio City Music Hall.

"Not only is this a great way to help Hillary out as she heads into the next set of primaries, it is Elton John's first solo concert in New York since 2000!" Podesta writes.

And keeping with the Elton and Hillary theme, she signs off:

"Best,

Heather Podesta
'The Bitch is Back'*"

As Podesta notes next to the asterisk, that is a well-known Elton John lyric.

But the five-letter word is also something that Clintonites have come to embrace. After Tina Fey proclaimed in a defense of Hillary on SNL's Weekend Update that "bitches get stuff done," she got a thank you call from Bill Clinton. And some Hillary loyalists have turned the phrase into a shirt, slightly modified to be more family friendly: "Monsters Get Stuff Done."

tina_fey2.jpg
wiz%20of%20oz%208x10%20canvas%20wicked%20witch.jpg

bill-clinton-raped.jpg

No.

Refer to her now as a "monster", "witch" or even a

"b*tch", but let it be understood the *minute* they start to refer to her as a "shrew" I'm firing off a letter to Homeland Security- gf!

:sexywink:

dbs

U2democrat said:

Frankly, I don't care anymore. That's the past, his time is also up.

I'm not excusing him for his past misdeeds, i'm just saying, it's a freaking game, let's enjoy it.

No, I'm just saying there may be another reason for the boos rather than political ones, baseball fans are an interesting breed and have very long memories.

Fox News

April 1st, 2008 12:34 PM Eastern
Hillary’s Solution to Ending The Race
by Aaron Bruns

From the top of her press conference in Philadelphia:

“I want to take a moment to say that this has been a very hard fought race. Each of us is drawing enormous support. We clearly need to do something so that our party and the people can make the right decision.

“So I have a proposal: today I am challenging Senator Obama to a bowl-off. A bowling night right here in Pennsylvania. Winner take all. I’ll even spot him two frames.”

“It’s time for his campaign to get out of the gutter and allow all of the pins to be counted. And I’m prepared to play this game all the way to the tenth frame. And when this game is over, the American people will know when that phone rings at 3am, they’ll have a president who’s ready to bowl on day one. So let’s strike a deal and go bowling for delegates. We don’t have a moment to spare.”

“Because it’s already April Fool’s Day. So happy April Fool’s Day everyone. “

Guffaws all around from the press corps, though at least two reporters were April Fooled at the start — saying their professional lives flashed before their eyes as they weighed how to report back to HQ that Senator Clinton had dropped out of the race.

Obama Gets "Very Flirtatious" At Campaign Stop

Via Mark Halperin, the pool report from Obama's campaign stop in Allentown, Pennsylvania:

It may be April Fools Day, but Sen. Barack Obama was acting like it was Valentine's Day. He was in full charm mode while touring the Tama Manufacturing plant, a JC Penney supplier of made-in-the-USA clothing in Allentown.

Obama was especially flirtatious today, winking and grinning at the female workers who were swooning behind their cell phone cameras. Tama President Mark Fogelman told quality inspector Carol Davis not to be nervous when she talked to Obama, even though he was "only the next
president" greeting her. Obama smiled ear to ear as he looked at her work, saying: "These look pretty comfortable, this is all pretty leisure wear."

After the presidential hopeful walked away, Davis let out a "Whoo!" and fanned herself.

"It got hot in here. He ain't bad looking either," she told your pooler.

"I hope he wins," Davis said, adding she was not registered to vote. "I wish all of them good luck, just bring the troops home is all." During the 25-minute tour, Obama called a woman "sweetie," and thanked her in Spanish, then told another woman who let him know she is from Thailand, "I love Thai food."

But Obama lavished compliments on dancewear manufacturer Marisa Cerveris, who gave him a black and pink leotard for Malia and Sasha, explaining she was once in the New York City ballet. "You look like you might be a dancer," Obama told her, later adding: "You're big time."

"You're gorgeous," he told Cerveris after glancing at one of her old ballet photos.

"I was," she replied.

"You still are," he countered, asking the crowd, "Isn't she beautiful?" and answering his own question: "Absolutely."

Holding the leotards, Obama thanked her, saying, "This is such a nice gift," and telling her that his daughters attend a Chicago dance theater.

"They have been going there since they were three," he said, back when the dance moves were little more than "just spinning around." He punctuated his joke with a full twirl. "I don't miss a recital," he said.

But, "Sometimes they'll be like the tenth performance ... everybody's else's kid is cute but let's face it, you probably wouldn't sit there for an hour and a half," he said, laughing. Later, Cerveris, who also danced on Broadway, told your pooler "He is the best."

She complimented his art policy and said she believes he will fix NAFTA.

The nitty gritty of the business (picked up only by the lavalier mic Obama wore because plant was so loud) was interesting. The whistle blew at 9:35 right as the senator arrived and the workers promptly went on break, barely glancing at Obama inspecting their work stations. At 9:45 it blew again and they were back to work.

While on the tour, Obama asked how Tama is capable of remaining in the United States when so many companies are moving overseas. Fogelman said it is tough, and said his application for an H2B Visa to get workers from Mexico was denied because there were plenty of United States workers.

"But it really is hard to find workers," he told Obama. "Nobody is coming into the business." Fogelman said the fabric comes from Greensboro, adding: "If the mills close up we'll probably be finished." Obama asked about their hourly wage (minimum is $8, and the average worker at Tama earns $10.50 per hour.) "I'm glad to see we still have a good company here with a good owner looking after his workers," Obama said as he toured the pressing department, where some of the workers sported Unite Here t-shirts.

The workers, mostly women, worked with a contraption Fogelman explained to Obama was called an "eton system" that cost him $600,000 and was financed in part by a state grant of $200,000. It looked like a steam iron suspended by a bungee cord, and Fogelman said it "brings the work right to the worker ... so they don't have to waste time and twist." Perhaps a sign of their repetitive work, one woman sported two wristbands suggesting she had a wrist injury. It took one worker an average of 22 seconds to steam the seams of what looked like a pair of black track pants with a big white elastic waistband. (Think grandma, not J-Lo.)

Speaking of which, Fogelman told the senator his grandma might wear their brand of clothing, "for the progressive lady who wants some comfort," labeled Alfred Dunner.

"What size is she?" Fogelman asked. "I don't know," Obama said, laughing.

Nearly everything on the manufacturing line was black (prompting Salon's Walter Shapiro to speculate they were making nun habits) something Obama noted when he walked in. Fogelman, whose grandpa started the company 54 years ago, told Obama they use one fabric in one color each day to "keep it efficient."

Tama also makes military uniforms. Fogelman showed Obama some kind of clothing your pooler couldn't see that included a silk-screened picture used for the White House's "Office of Remembrance."

Obama called that a "very nice idea."

While on the tour, Obama met Gulf War veteran Josh Williams, a Tama supervisor who asked the senator to sign his beret. Obama wrote "Thanks for your service."

Obama chatted with a local pastor before leaving the plant, asking him to: "Pray for me."

Perhaps of interest from before the tour: While your poolers waited for their sweep in the gray drizzle, Obama arrived in the SUV with a little wave wearing a baseball hat as if he'd been working out. Our bus left without Obama (but somehow didn't get "dirty" - ask Jen Psaki to explain that one, it's about as logical as the credentials committee) so we can't confirm exactly how long it takes the senator to get ready in the morning. But the full transformation from Basketball Obama to Suit-and-Tie Obama, with a 15 minute drive in between, took 82 minutes.

Christina Bellantoni
National political reporter
The Washington Times

Poll: 1 in 10 think Obama is Muslim

By Daniel Burke, Religion News Service

Ten percent of American voters believe Sen. Barack Obama is Muslim, despite the presidential candidate's frequent descriptions of his Christian faith and a high-profile flap over his former pastor.

The finding was contained in survey results released by the non-partisan Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

While a majority — 53% — identify Obama as a Christian, 16% of conservative Republicans, 16% of white evangelical Protestants and 19% of rural Americans believe the Illinois senator is Muslim.

About a third of Americans said they don't know what Obama's religious beliefs are, and 9% of that group said it's because they've heard different information about his faith.

Confusion over the candidate's religion crosses party lines.

Fourteen percent of all Republicans, 10% of Democrats and 8% of independents think he's Muslim, according to the survey.

Nearly 80% of Americans said they had heard something about controversial sermon sound bites from Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, that have been circulating in the media.

The survey follows an earlier poll in which 80% of the general public said they'd heard rumors that Obama is Muslim.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Poll: 1 in 10 think Obama is Muslim

1 in 10 also believe Buhari Tijani will be sending them millions from their long lost next of kin in Africa, after they send him a couple of thousand. And that Snoop Dogg is now Mormon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom