U2 to Perform First Concerts at MSG Sphere in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Few things:

The fact that Larry was on board until the last few days is probably why SOS was even in the mix - the band collectively would rather play a more muted show that Larry can get through than play without him. The quick pivot to fill AB was most likely the fact he pulled out and they decided that they’d go with the original plan.

No one wants to play without Larry, but the dates are fixed, contracts probably in place and they also want to be the first to do this. They know their reputation is pushing the limits of live performance, and they want this.

The new album was reportedly done last year. They will hold it until they see how he pulls up after surgery/rest.

Finally - they are old and don’t have many more years to waste. Larry would know that well.

i don't think there was a quick switch.

i think they purposefully misled those who were in Colombia just in case they broke their NDA (which, clearly, many of them did).

there are too many achtung baby related easter eggs in the video for it to have been a "SOS show with a side of Achtung Baby"

Last edited:
u2brothr.jpg

Hah...I recognized an old face in the trailer.

Funnily enough, depending on the dates, I've never been there before, but I might actually be in Las Vegas in time for a show. I'll just have to see what's possible.

welcome back!

OK, the Sphere seems to be a next level musical/visual experience... but does this Vegas residency celebrating their 30-year old album AB justify playing without the founding member of the "Larry Mullen band" ? And fly-in a relatively unknown Dutch drummer? (I am still curious how they ended up with this particular drummer). While they could have decided to delay the whole thing? (they did before with previous Tours...)

The statement says: "The Sphere show has been in the works for a long time. We don't want to let people down, least of all our audience… "

This statement suggests they have been considering not to play... But I find this a very poor basis for the decision to go on with the plan. Maybe they didn't wanna play without Larry, but faced contractual issues and didn't have a real choice? The second part about 'our audience' I don't buy. For the biggest part of the fanbase, these concerts will be out of reach, both financially as well as logistically..

It also may be they realize that a future for the band with Larry is not sure. Maybe this is the start of the end of Larry in the band. Reading that interview from last November doesn't show he really is interested and still cares about playing in the band. To me it seems he is not even involved in many things related to the band anymore. Also, I find it very strange that there is not even a statement from Larry Mullen about the whole thing...why not be a bit more open about the topic?

I think it’s just that they want to be the first act to play there and show it off the U2 way. And if they’re going to wait for Larry, they are not going to be the first act to play in the Sphere.

Instead, that move will pave the way for someone named Harry……Styles.

Who knows if he’ll be the second act, but it’s a possibility. :wink:

They were contracted to be first and likely agreed well before the definitive Larry prognosis.

It’s not just about being first, but likely also about who the venue was going to get in U2’s place if they dropped out. It’s going to require a lot of work to get this set up right. This isn’t a plug and play arena, at least not yet.

I find the No Larry outrage a bit amusing. People getting so worked up about him missing a small run of shows due to health issues yet giving his blessing to the band and his (likely hand picked) replacement.
As has been said, hopefully all those outraged by the 2023 No Larry World Tour will not participate in any presales or general sales.
I want to go (assuming tix cost is within reason). Am I happy Larry can't perform? No. Will the shows suffer without him? Highly unlikely.

Last edited:
OK, the Sphere seems to be a next level musical/visual experience... but does this Vegas residency celebrating their 30-year old album AB justify playing without the founding member of the "Larry Mullen band" ? And fly-in a relatively unknown Dutch drummer? (I am still curious how they ended up with this particular drummer). While they could have decided to delay the whole thing? (they did before with previous Tours...)

The statement says: "The Sphere show has been in the works for a long time. We don't want to let people down, least of all our audience… "

This statement suggests they have been considering not to play... But I find this a very poor basis for the decision to go on with the plan. Maybe they didn't wanna play without Larry, but faced contractual issues and didn't have a real choice? The second part about 'our audience' I don't buy. For the biggest part of the fanbase, these concerts will be out of reach, both financially as well as logistically..

It also may be they realize that a future for the band with Larry is not sure. Maybe this is the start of the end of Larry in the band. Reading that interview from last November doesn't show he really is interested and still cares about playing in the band. To me it seems he is not even involved in many things related to the band anymore. Also, I find it very strange that there is not even a statement from Larry Mullen about the whole thing...why not be a bit more open about the topic?

It's a Vegas show: other musicians have done it, and they will make a lot of money from it. I mean, let's be real—they're doing this, because someone threw a bunch of money at them to do this. U2 is starting to reach the twilight of their career, and perhaps part of the appeal here is that they can perform, make that money and not have to deal with the stress of an international tour. Maybe we'll get a good concert film out of it once it's over.

It’s gonna be weird, though. We can at least all admit it’s going to be a little weird. And maybe somewhat sad. Temporary situation, limited residency, all that, yes.

But still kinda weird and sad.

So you should all probably not go.

It’s gonna be weird, though. We can at least all admit it’s going to be a little weird. And maybe somewhat sad. Temporary situation, limited residency, all that, yes.

Right.
Let's make them play to an empty house so they understand our collective outrage with the Not on Board 2023 Las Vegas World Tour.

Right.

Let's make them play to an empty house so they understand our collective outrage with the Not on Board 2023 Las Vegas World Tour.

Yes, that’s the ticket.
Just tons of tickets there unused for the tak…
All those unused, unsold tickets.

That’ll teach ‘em.

Now onto those reservations at Carbone you won’t need…

Contrary to certain opinions, I don’t think they’re doing U2:UV for the money (though I’m sure it doesn’t hurt). The Sphere’s screen and acoustics is going to blow away everything that’s come before it, and I think they want to be the band to christen the venue. And if Zoo TV predicted the future of live rock concerts, playing rock concerts in this venue is the culmination of that vision. The doing-it-in-Vegas angle is the ultimate return of MacPhisto (“look at me now, a tired old pop star in platform shoes”). The residency has a delicious back-to-the-future feel.

Larry’s absence from the drum kit is unfortunate, but if not for U2’s dogmatic (and truly heroic) stance over the decades of not changing their lineup, no one would bat an eye at the news. A lot of bands have to experience DEATH in their ranks, and yet they still carry on without much time away from the road (Foo Fighters, etc and the list is long) …. when Pearl Jam came through town recently, their drummer was out with COVID and they still sounded wonderful with a substitute. So, in the grand scheme of things, for a band approaching their mid 60s, this is nothing.

Enjoy the ride! See you back at the zoo

Will they play Dirty Day?

They better effing play it, I'm gonna wear my wristband

Buy seriously any sense in signing up for the U2.com subscription now or do we think that second round of presale will get mixed in with every other credit card presale group and really provide no advantage?

Obviously it'll be a little weird - but Larry was mostly hidden in the background as it was, so not as weird as, say, Adam not being there.

But maybe Larry will be there playing Kazoo. Which will make it not weird.

They better effing play it, I'm gonna wear my wristband

Buy seriously any sense in signing up for the U2.com subscription now or do we think that second round of presale will get mixed in with every other credit card presale group and really provide no advantage?
I think it might, but who knows. I think they really want to make sure this isn't a cluster for fans considering the uneasiness around Larry's status. Plus everyone saw what happened with Springsteen and Taylor Swift.

And there's no way you still have a Dirty Day wristband...

Musings on the last few pages of posts:

Wouldn't rule out Larry being there. He's just not sitting behind the kit for the full band songs. But with this type of venue, and it being a retrospective, I expect quite a tribute to him, with him getting a major feature. He can also do things besides playing a full kit..

Also wouldn't be surprised if GA is not the best "seat in the house" for anything other than being close to the band. Cant remember who but there was someone who said that GA wouldn't necessarily be. Don't know about anyone else but I recall after I&E seeing some video footage of the screens with stuff on it that I never personally saw at the concert. Guess I shoulda done a seat one night lol

I also really like the U2:UV idea that it's "U Five" - I can't recall any time in history they ever referred to Ultra Violet as UV... and without some context in terms of why U2:UV and not, say U2:AB (or, more aptly? U2:UTEOTW :lol: ).... I would (like to?) think that this is a bit more intentional than just a simple acronym for one of the songs on the album.

Re the shoot.. . not sure they ended up with much of any CGI for the band members.. the stand in B and E are definitely the lookalikes with makeup, easily can recognize them. Stuff is way cheaper in Latin America. As are all the extras they used ;)

The no Larry for 12 shows Twitter (and limited Interference) outrage is just exhausting. The hyperbolic nonsense would be amusing if it weren't so tiresome. Coming from people (on social media) who probably haven't bought or listened to a U2 album in 15 years.

It's 12 shows!! He's having surgery!!! They are OLD!!! They signed onto a multi, multi million dollar contract, and truly deserve the honor, as the most innovate live band in history, to open in the most innovate arena in history. The band wouldn't be doing this unless LARRY WAS OK WITH IT!!!

Get the fuck over it.

The no Larry for 12 shows Twitter (and limited Interference) outrage is just exhausting. The hyperbolic nonsense would be amusing if it weren't so tiresome. Coming from people (on social media) who probably haven't bought or listened to a U2 album in 15 years.

It's 12 shows!! He's having surgery!!! They are OLD!!! They signed onto a multi, multi million dollar contract, and truly deserve the honor, as the most innovate live band in history, to open in the most innovate arena in history. The band wouldn't be doing this unless LARRY WAS OK WITH IT!!!

Get the fuck over it.

Thank you

Get the fuck over it.

Way to kill the next 10 pages of bullshit. Thank you.

Best part is Larry will always be there in some way in every u2 show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom