U2 to Perform First Concerts at MSG Sphere in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tell me when to plan to be in Vegas...
If it opens in September that's my goal. October is messy for me with work so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I'm surprised no dates were I'm this announcement. Seems perhaps they are still making sure the venue will be ready... but at the same time the ticket launch seems imminent, so I don't know what to think.

Bono, The Edge and Adam said, "It's going to take all we've got to approach the Sphere without our bandmate in the drum seat, but Larry has joined us in welcoming Bram van den Berg who is a force in his own right.

The Sphere show has been in the works for a long time. We don't want to let people down, least of all our audience… the truth is we miss them as much as they appear to miss us… our audience was always the fifth member of the band. Bottom line, U2 hasn't played live since December 2019 and we need to get back on stage and see the faces of our fans again. And what a unique stage they're building for us out there in the desert… We're the right band, ACHTUNG BABY the right album, and the Sphere the right venue to take the live experience of music to the next level… That's what U2's been trying to do all along with our satellite stages and video installations, most memorably on the ZOO TV Tour, which ended in Tokyo 30 years ago this Fall.

The Sphere is more than just a venue, it's a gallery and U2's music is going to be all over the walls."

The Edge added – "The beauty of the Sphere is not only the ground-breaking technology that will make it so unique, with the world's most advanced audio system, integrated into a structure which is designed with sound quality as a priority; it's also the possibilities around immersive experience in real and imaginary landscapes. In short, it's a canvas of an unparalleled scale and image resolution and a once-in-a-generation opportunity. We all thought about it and decided we'd be mad not to accept the invitation."

MSG Sphere introduces a new medium of entertainment. Fans will feel the impact of the greatest band in the world's most experiential venue which introduces the first 16K screen that wraps up, around, and behind the audience. Sphere Immersive Sound delivers pitch perfect audio to every seat in the house. 4D technologies will let the audience feel the wind on their face, the heat on their skin and the rumble of thunder. The 'U2:UV Achtung Baby Live At The Sphere' opening series of shows will tap into this exclusive technology, allowing fans to experience something completely new.

Larry discourse is annoying.

They’re not going to delay the opening of the Sphere. Larry is not going to be fit enough to be there for the opening of the Sphere. Therefore, etc. etc.

Larry is not quitting the band. He’s just not going to be there at these Vegas shows. Sorry, sucks, but bands get replacements all the time. U2 is extraordinarily lucky they’ve only had one concert with a stand in. Even then, the “four guys in a band” schtick hasn’t been true in what, 30 years? These guys have all sorts of audio magic and literal people making U2 happen.

You know what you’re signing up for. As wonderful as U2’s music is, they’re always going to be a spectacle. And if you’re obsessed with a spectacle, you’re going to have to deal with the show going on.

Last edited:
If Larry’s arms and back aren’t a concern for these shows and Bono is only singing 2 nights a week, how long do you think the band will play? The standard 2:25 or a tighter even 2?

Yes, there are additional people making U2 happen live, but the core has always been the four. And yeah, bands get replacements all the time. U2 weren't one of those bands, though. Until they were. It's disappointing to see them become like every other old rock band in the end. It seemed like they'd be different, but the old band stereotypes exist for a reason. Oh well.

Sucks that Larry won’t be playing, but the silver lining is that if he’s getting surgery this year hopefully the new album is already in the bag and he’ll be back and healthy next year with a new album and new world tour.

I’m seeing the Foo Fighters in July. That’s going to be a way better show than this. No thanks.

I’m the Flanagan book, Bono says they would continue without Adam, but it would be different. But they would continue.

It’s 30 years later. I really think they get a Mulligan on this one.

A Larry Mulligan, if you will. Junior.

Sucks that Larry won’t be playing, but the silver lining is that if he’s getting surgery this year hopefully the new album is already in the bag and he’ll be back and healthy next year with a new album and new world tour.

U2 are the wrong band for optimisim about future plans!! :wink:

I'm hopeful that we get a new album/tour in 2024, but I think a lot of that depends on 1 . Larry, and 2. If they get their stuff figured out with their transition in management.

Sure, pretend that the E Street Band with its almost 50 years of rotating lineups is comparable to a band that's had the same lineup for the same amount of time and has made that a big part of who they are. When they'd say things like it's not U2 if one of them isn't there. Well, it turns out that's only true if the cheque isn't big enough.

Rush are a much more apt comparison. Or they were, anyway. Because when their drummer was unavailable they waited. And then they retired when he was too ill to play.

In a funny way it makes sense that U2 are going to charge insane amounts of money for a second rate show in a city that exists to fleece rubes. Because a U2 show without Larry *will not* be U2 at their best.

7ayg93.jpg

The timing of that ad when the balloon aliens are here was insane. Also that U2 is named for spy planes. But sure let's focus on Larry...

Yeah. Lets not focus on the drummer and original/founding member missing 12 shows.

Paychecks talks, bs walks.
No way this would happen with Bono or Edge.

Btw...why is their best live album not getting a world wide anniversary tour but instead a mere dozen shows at an exclusive venue ?

Last edited:
Pretty cool trailer. Colour me surprised.

The baby is still creepy as hell though.

And so the wait for the ticket news begins...

From one hand very cool they will give shows again. (unfortunately for me as a residency in Vegas...)

But the whole thing makes me wonder:

1) Are there contractual issues maybe playing a role? Obligations towards LiveNation to play certain amount of shows? Is there a possibility that the band didn't know Larry couldn't play at the moment where contracts were signed? Or did they really consiously decide together from the beginning they would do this without Larry. I remember a tour postponed because of Bono's surgery, because of a sick relative from Edge... May it be that only Larry and Adam can be replaced? May this also be written in a contract? When is U2 still considered to be U2?

2) Off all drummers in the world, how did they end up with Max van den Berg? Curious to know the story behind that. I mean, for sure he can play...
his band (Krezip, see: https://www.youtube.com/@KrezipOfficial/featured) is known in Netherlands, and maybe ..Belgium.. but how does this work?

Presumably they got asked if they wanted to do it, said yes, then realised Larry wouldn't be fit. So they're doing it without him and he doesn't mind. So that's all there is to it. Especially as it's a short run of shows rather than a tour in support of a new album.

Unless your bass player or drummer is also your front man (Sting, Phill Collins?), it's objectively easier to replace them for some live shows compared to your lead singer or lead guitarist. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom