U2 Ticket Sales 101 - 12/4/14 and onward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just watching Sky Sports News here in the UK. They've just had a report on how more than 30% of tickets for top sporting events get bought up by touts who then resell. They had the UK chairman of Ticketmaster, Chris Edmonds on talking about how touts use 'ticketbots' that automatically buy up tickets at a very fast rate as soon as they go on sale. The ticketbot software costs about £500 and the way they work has to be changed constantly as sites figure out how to block them but I'm sure £500 is small outlay every so often compared to what the touts gain back. The guy from TM said there's nothing they can do to stop it and can only block individual IP addresses. But even I know you can use Tor browser to circumvent this.

I bet if the system was controlling the purchase of stocks and shares then they'd make sure they could stop it.

And how can this guy from TM say all this when his own company provides a site that allows these touts to resell the tickets they've bought.

It really beggars belief... or is it just me?

Well, the ticketmaster dude says that because he's basically lying. Everybody knows that Ticketmaster's own site contains tickets that they sent over there. They're buying up tickets themselves and reselling them. There were resell tickets literally chucked up on the Ticketmaster site within minutes of this thing opening along with lies about GA tickets being sold out (accessed nearly an hour later by many via the app), etc.

It's real simple, if the demand is there, they'll strike and snare the stuff for themselves for the extra buck. There's been plenty of word about collusion as well and there's no doubt in my mind that some of these pop singers that go play gigs for arab dictators for millions of dollars have no qualms about writing it into their contract that they get a cut of these backdoor dealings. No doubt.

We live in a world where fewer and fewer people are actually attending live music events, yet we're supposed to be leave that demand has suddenly skyrocketed like crazy? It's clearly these a-holes buying up a zillion tickets.

It disgusts me that there are currently 1,433 tickets to the May 14th show in Vancouver available on stub hub alone.

Just fucking disgusting.

What's more disgusting imo is that Ticketmaster (and thus U2 too) is facilitating reselling tickets. They are even earning money from it! On the ticketmaster website you can buy GA tickets for up to $1000 dollars in MSG...

Some people use fancy technology to get the tickets when sales start and immediately resell it on Ticketmaster-website...I think that shouldn't be allowed...

The solution for this is really easy! ... buy tickets on your creditcard and show your ID with creditcard to enter the venue...so simple...but Ticketmaster just doesn't want to do this, they would loose lots of money...

So I purchased 2 GAs for 5/26, 2 for 5/27 and 2 for 5/30. All during the regular sale today. Am I good? Is the 4 ticket limit per individual show?

Yep, if the entire show required CC + ID entry, there would have been no scalpers (or TM) touching this damn thing. The seats would have been all released to the individual fans.

And from U2's perspective, why wouldn't they want that? It's clear that TM and Live Nation want that extra juice from these backdoor shenanigans...but going the full paperless route still gets U2 selling all their tickets at the prices they allotted and ensures that those actual fans are in the seats.

Only refund scheme you would need is to allow people to drop their tickets up to a month before the show. Go on TM, get a refund, tickets re-enter the normal process so other fans can randomly get them.

It was chimed in before that Radiohead now goes this route. Why not U2?

Also, I've got to say, it's complete BS the way they're so nice when it comes to GA tickets. Everyone else gets screwed over, but GA tickets can't be sold at all? It wouldn't be so irritating if GA tickets weren't already so much damn cheaper than anything else. I mean, it's freakin' awful that people are priced out at 300 bucks for nosebleeds while fans with GA tickets walk into the most coveted piece of the action for 80 bucks. How is that fair? And then they're protected on top of that? Jesus.

Literally everybody in the venue is always subsidizing the GA tickets as they're usually the cheapest in the house...and they're what everyone wants. It's just getting ridiculous. I hated Bono around Vertigo or whatever saying there would also be tickets for the wealthier fans...you're not someone wealthy if you're buying a ticket just because you're shut out of GA. Said wealthy fans would almost all surely be in the GA queue as well if they had access. It's time to at least make things affordable and raise the damn GA price. They're closest to the action and yet paying a friggin' quarter of the people next to them in the seats. Makes no sense. Price the damn GA tickets at 150 bucks before fees and let everyone else breathe a bit easier.

I mean, fair enough for those that joined the fan club. I would have done the same had I not been screwed over by it back in 2005. That keychain "gift" still gives me nightmares.

Yep, if the entire show required CC + ID entry, there would have been no scalpers (or TM) touching this damn thing. The seats would have been all released to the individual fans.

And from U2's perspective, why wouldn't they want that? It's clear that TM and Live Nation want that extra juice from these backdoor shenanigans...but going the full paperless route still gets U2 selling all their tickets at the prices they allotted and ensures that those actual fans are in the seats.

This. So much.
And for those who dont have CCs, bank debit cards would be acceptable as well since they have the name on them and scalpers cant use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Also, I've got to say, it's complete BS the way they're so nice when it comes to GA tickets. Everyone else gets screwed over, but GA tickets can't be sold at all? It wouldn't be so irritating if GA tickets weren't already so much damn cheaper than anything else. I mean, it's freakin' awful that people are priced out at 300 bucks for nosebleeds while fans with GA tickets walk into the most coveted piece of the action for 80 bucks. How is that fair? And then they're protected on top of that? Jesus.

Literally everybody in the venue is always subsidizing the GA tickets as they're usually the cheapest in the house...and they're what everyone wants. It's just getting ridiculous. I hated Bono around Vertigo or whatever saying there would also be tickets for the wealthier fans...you're not someone wealthy if you're buying a ticket just because you're shut out of GA. Said wealthy fans would almost all surely be in the GA queue as well if they had access. It's time to at least make things affordable and raise the damn GA price. They're closest to the action and yet paying a friggin' quarter of the people next to them in the seats. Makes no sense. Price the damn GA tickets at 150 bucks before fees and let everyone else breathe a bit easier.

I mean, fair enough for those that joined the fan club. I would have done the same had I not been screwed over by it back in 2005. That keychain "gift" still gives me nightmares.

I don't understand why you say that GA tickets cannot be sold? I see it happening everywhere...?

I think that ticket reselling thing is not allowed in Europe, or at least it's not happening via Ticketmaster. For the German concerts a mobile ticket with creditcard and ID is necessary...this only counts for GA-tickets.

I agree with your statement that the rest of the house is 'subsidizing' the GA tickets. It would be fair if people had a choice... In this case, at least in Europe, demand is much higer than supply...so people take the tickets that are available...why not have one single price for all tickets in the arena?

By the way, keep in mind that a substantial part of the GA-tickets have been sold for around 120 euros/dollars...since U2.com membership fee should be added!

So I purchased 2 GAs for 5/26, 2 for 5/27 and 2 for 5/30. All during the regular sale today. Am I good? Is the 4 ticket limit per individual show?

Did you use a ticketbot? :hmm: :lol:

Wasn't it a four ticket max limit on the first day of sale then unlimited afterwards?

GA tickets weren't already so much damn cheaper than anything else. I mean, it's freakin' awful that people are priced out at 300 bucks for nosebleeds while fans with GA tickets walk into the most coveted piece of the action for 80 bucks. How is that fair? And then they're protected on top of that? Jesus.

Who says everyone wants GA? My wife doesn't but I told her the only way I'm going is if it's GA. BTW I got GA for Van2 without a fan club code by phoning in.

Looks like Ticketmaster UK have stopped selling tickets for the time being. (Which they do from time to time) Just tried looking for Glasgow tickets and it says the are currently unavailable (same for London)

Wasn't it a four ticket max limit on the first day of sale then unlimited afterwards?

Haha! No I didn't. I did 4 by phone order and 2 by the mobile app. Yeah I heard about the 4 ticket limit but can't seem to clarify if that's for an individual show or for the entire tour.

Now I'm freaking out just a little. I got my 2 presales on Friday no problem, they are still showing delivery delay. This morning I ordered 2 together and 1 single for friends and they went through just fine and I just received them. I print them out, instant gratification.

Wonders where my tickets are :sad:

It disgusts me that there are currently 1,433 tickets to the May 14th show in Vancouver available on stub hub alone.

Just fucking disgusting.

Vancouver has a quite long history of speculation to make prices skyrocket, if you know what I mean, so that does not surprise me. I hope that is an isolated case though for the sake of our fellow fans.

I noticed you can get "platinum seats" for Chicago front row rear stage section 107 for $1195......that's scary.....whats also scary is the craptastic seats they have for $291..back of stage, upper deck, side view, etc etc

Aren't there some cities that did have Credit/Debit only and driver's license for entry?

I'm curious what people's experience was buying tickets for that kind of event. I'd assume much less of a hassle and much more to choose from?

I believe a couple people here emailed TM and were told the 4 ticket limit was per show. (Sorry I don't remember where I saw their posts.) I also emailed TM a few days ago and asked as well, being sure to stress that my question was about the first day of sale rules, and this was the answer:

"The ticket limit for U2 at the Forum, is per event. If you wish to purchase tickets for multiple dates you may do so."

So I think you're okay. I also purchased 6 today (between different dates, no more than 4 in one show) so if they cancel them I'm going to be really mad!

Clayton's Kitten,

I'm so happy for you, b/c that's exactly what I would have done had this thing hit a week earlier, or a week later, and I had the money...if I had even a week's notice I could have asked somebody for the money too! This happened so quickly! Still hoping for NY but found a kind soul who tried for Chicago for me using the app, got through quickly...and had the same experience of $300 nosebleeds in the rafters.

I was hoping for a delay in the rumored added shows, b/c after Friday time and money would be no problem... with all the horror stories the past 24 hrs I was afraid that the $300 nosebleed story would be repeated if I went old school like you did. You can't imagine the experience I had...on Sunday I found a brand new Ticketmaster (TM outlet open less than a month, in a brand-new Wal-Mart mini-mart open less then 6 months, open 24 hrs so no problem camping out all night indoors:)...and...no money. At less than a week's notice, and between checks, (don't ask)...4 more days and I could have done it.
Imagine Sunday night for me...

Ironically today, I convinced myself that even with added shows going old school wouldn't work, there'd be no cheap nosebleeds left for cash purchasers either. I was considering not even bothering to try if added shows were announced.

But your post gives me hope. If added shows are announced, I might get as lucky.

Can you tell me exactly what you did and said? How did the TM person manage to pull cheap nosebleeds? Forgive me, but I want a blow-by-blow of this marvelous experience, 'fess up, girl.

Seems like TM screwed you over in the US. Did any shows in NA use AXS?

AXS have something called "AXSchoice" wich is basically reserved expensive tickets, all of them are the best seats in the house though closest to the stage and it is like only 30 tickets available.

Clayton's Kitten,

I'm so happy for you, b/c that's exactly what I would have done had this thing hit a week earlier, or a week later, and I had the money...if I had even a week's notice I could have asked somebody for the money too! This happened so quickly! Still hoping for NY but found a kind soul who tried for Chicago for me using the app, got through quickly...and had the same experience of $300 nosebleeds in the rafters.

I was hoping for a delay in the rumored added shows, b/c after Friday time and money would be no problem... with all the horror stories the past 24 hrs I was afraid that the $300 nosebleed story would be repeated if I went old school like you did. You can't imagine the experience I had...on Sunday I found a brand new Ticketmaster (TM outlet open less than a month, in a brand-new Wal-Mart mini-mart open less then 6 months, open 24 hrs so no problem camping out all night indoors:)...and...no money. At less than a week's notice, and between checks, (don't ask)...4 more days and I could have done it.
Imagine Sunday night for me...

Ironically today, I convinced myself that even with added shows going old school wouldn't work, there'd be no cheap nosebleeds left for cash purchasers either. I was considering not even bothering to try if added shows were announced.

But your post gives me hope. If added shows are announced, I might get as lucky.

Can you tell me exactly what you did and said? How did the TM person manage to pull cheap nosebleeds? Forgive me, but I want a blow-by-blow of this marvelous experience, 'fess up, girl.

It was easy as pie, really.

Went to my retail outlet and was "in line" at 1045am (EST, Chicago is on Central, so basically 15 mins early).

Went to cust service desk and told the lady I was going to be purchasing U2 Chicago tickets and asked if I would be allowed to wait at the "Ticketmaster" computer. Yes, they have a separate computer strictly for TM sales. She gave me a look like I was a crazy person but okayed it. The entire 15 mins, I watched my phone, and talked to my 2 yr old who was with me. At about 1055am, she came over from the reg cust service computer to the TM one, and asked me what I was specifically aiming for. I told her U2, Chicago, June 25th (not 24th). She asked what price level I wanted, and I told her the cheapest ones, they should be around the $30 mark. I also gave her section numbers but she told me I could not choose the actual section on 1st day of sale, just price point. She clicked right at 11am (10am Chicago time) and pulled section 324 within seconds. I heard row 8 and told her GRAB THEM. I yanked my debit card from my pocket (had it ready and waiting) and she swiped it. Tickets were printed and it was all over in about a minute, two at most. Had to sign for them, it looked just like a hard ticket and said Customer Signature on the bottom. Had them in hand and was DONE. Had we had the funds, I would have had her go for Chi1 as well....$130.32 for three seats is already a stretch with holidays and bills. But I'm going. Nothing else matters. I'll find a way to get us into Chi1 as well. Its only Dec. I have until June. :

Good luck with the new dates!! Shame the Chicago dates are the 28th and 29th...if they were the 26th and 27th, I'd borrow $ and buy for the 26th and see the nights in reverse lol.

Out of curiosity...before the internet (or at least on line shopping), how did everyone buy tickets? I'm imaging line ups forming at ticketmaster retail outlets, or was it done by phone and charged to CC over the phone? Is the internet and online ticket buying better or worse than the old-school way when it comes to big, high demand acts like U2?

Out of curiosity...before the internet (or at least on line shopping), how did everyone buy tickets? I'm imaging line ups forming at ticketmaster retail outlets, or was it done by phone and charged to CC over the phone? Is the internet and online ticket buying better or worse than the old-school way when it comes to big, high demand acts like U2?

Both at outlets and on the phone - PopMart phone ins were just as nerve-wrackingly fun as it is now online.

Hubby had a friend do the "in-line" wait for PopMart tix (long before he and I met), and when I was younger, it was going to Sears at the mall or phoning it in via CC. I remember all too well the nerve-wracking hell that was calling for BSB tickets in the 90s. :reject:

To this day, I think I prefer waiting in line old school. Busy signals both via phone and online are too nerve-wracking and headache-inducing for me. And I'm one of the younger crowd! (Turned 31 in Oct. :shh: )

Line ups at TM outlets similar to lineups for GA show itself. People would start camping out in line for tickets a day earlier. Same thing at the venue where the show would be held. I remember the best feeling in the world was driving into the arena parking lot the day of a ticket sale and seeing only a few cars in the lot right in front of the ticket office. If there were a lot of cars, (like say 20 of them!!) you were like aw no dammit!! :wink:

Some places if there were multiple people used a lottery system where they gave out numbered wristbands, and randomly selected one.

I was able to buy my Mom killer Garth Brooks tickets that way. Thankfully she took her friend.

For Elevation I went up to my hometown, 3 hours outside of LA got to the outlet early and was of course, the only one there. The guy said they usually only got lines for wrestling or monster trucks. Gotta love the Central Valley! Still ended up with nosebleeds. But otherwise, I'd have gotten nothing. I was never able to get through by phone and got shut out of Pearl Jam that way. I was so happy when they went to online sales. For me it's worked better.

Sorry if this has been asked already but: I used one experience code from a friend to buy tickets on the other pre sale and I have my own innocence code that I haven't used yet because of the 2 ticket limit. Does that limit still apply for the extra dates pre sales? I mean, if I try using my innocence code will there be a chance of they cancelling my previously bought tickets or is it allowed to use different codes since this is a different pre sale? Thanks in advance.

In the good 'ole days, The Grateful Dead would let you send them a letter complete with a list of shows and physical money orders for tickets. The brighter you decorated your envelopes with artwork, the better your chances were of getting tickets. Some of the artwork was incredible, and the band actually saved them: Grateful Dead Archive Online | Fan Art. I miss those days.

What the hell ?

Q - How Many Tickets Can I buy?
A - As a paid-up U2.com Subscriber you are eligible to purchase up to TWO tickets across the tour. You can split this up across two shows or just use for a single show.

Please note: due to different ticketing systems in Stockholm and Amsterdam, if you use your code for either of these shows it is valid for only a single transaction. You could buy two tickets for a show in one of these cities but if you bought only one ticket, the code would not work to buy a second ticket

Does this mean if I use one presale code for say Amsterdam, I couldn't use the same code for a show in say, Paris?

Line ups at TM outlets similar to lineups for GA show itself. People would start camping out in line for tickets a day earlier. Same thing at the venue where the show would be held. I remember the best feeling in the world was driving into the arena parking lot the day of a ticket sale and seeing only a few cars in the lot right in front of the ticket office. If there were a lot of cars, (like say 20 of them!!) you were like aw no dammit!! :wink:

I also should probably clarify that this was during the 70's and early 80's. :reject:

LOL I got some Vertigo tickets at a TM outlet at the grocery store. It wasn't THAT long ago! I didn't have a credit card and I wanted tickets :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom