U2 Fans Spoiled Rotten ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2NativeSon

Refugee
I have to say , I am a fan and a collector , and we really have been spoiled. We come to expect so much from this band.

I went out today and bought U218 Singles and Videos , and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've seen so much negative talk about the band recently , it really makes me think , why even bother posting ? But ... here are some things to think about if you read this post ...

1. U218 Singles , is a great compilation , and if you bought the "Deluxe" Edition , you also received the Milan DVD as a bonus. I would say if you have been a fan for a while , you probably have all the tracks , but it does include a couple of new ones ... which should be a sign that new material is sooner than you think. The package is very nice including a booklet.

2. U218 Videos ... I must say this is what impressed me most. The fact that many of the earlier videos have finally made it to DVD, to me that indicates that there will be a "Best Of 1980-1990" DVD , and that it will probably include bonus tracks , Sunday Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks ... to me that indicates that we may see a DVD release also. Finally , I see new videos , and some from ATYCLB , but some things were left off from HTDAAB , which indicates the band has intention of a "Best Of 2000-2010"

3. The lack of POP songs makes me laugh , because the majority of posts I read on here , bash POP , yet there were so many songs on the "Best Of 1990-2000" , even new mixes , so we should all have them anyway ... it also may be possible that PopMart Mexico will finally make it to DVD in 2007.

4. I hate posting on this site , because there is just so much bashing of the band ... I really don't understand that , in the past 3 years there has been more U2 material made available than ever before ... I really don't get it ...

:corn:

Edit : Having said all of that , I also think having a new book , new DVD , and new CD really show that the band try to connect with the fans , and are trying to show they have not forgotten what has made them the best band in the world , I see this "era" of U2 as a turning point for the future , and look forward to what is to come.

Last edited:
U2NativeSon said:
I have to say , I am a fan and a collector , and we really have been spoiled. We come to expect so much from this band.

I went out today and bought U218 Singles and Videos , and I'm very happy with my purchase.

4. I hate posting on this site , because there is just so much bashing of the band ... I really don't understand that , in the past 3 years there has been more U2 material made available than ever before ... I really don't get it ...

:corn:

I really think the bashing is a minor phenomenon. If we see posts praising the band, they don't stand out, of course, because this is a U2 fansite. When somebody accuses the band of greediness or selling out or making bad music, it does stand out. And I have a feeling that, had the internet existed in its present form back in '87 or '91, we would have seen the same thing. I for one hated ZooTV when it was happening (I was thirteen), and had there been an interference, I might have said so. Don't take it to heart too much.

Personally I bought U2:18 for WITS and Milan DVD.

I'm still unsure whether to go for the U2:18 videos or not for that same reason: if we will get the 1980-1990 videos on DVD I'd rather wait. If, on the other hand, they don't plan this I'd rather watch the 80's videos that made it onto U2:18 videos.

Can't wait 30 years from now when Cirque du Soleil makes "the fly", and steve lyllthwhite reworks u218 (without the fly ironically) for the show. I'll go out and get it the day its released.

U2NativeSon said:
Edit : Having said all of that , I also think having a new book , new DVD , and new CD really show that the band try to connect with the fans , and are trying to show they have not forgotten what has made them the best band in the world , I see this "era" of U2 as a turning point for the future , and look forward to what is to come.

:up:

I already have the songs, Didn't stop me from buying the first day it went on sale (I also tried to twist the arm of the guy at the store, the day before, but he wouldn't sell until Saturday!!)

Yeah...we are pretty spoiled. Think about it, we have a fan website with nearly 50,000 members and closing in on 4 million posts! Find me a band that has something close to that or even is interesting enough to talk about 4 million times over. Is there a band whose simple switching of a word in a song from fifteen years ago raises a large response by the fans? Or is there a band who's fans watch them as closely as PLEBA watches our boys?

i feel like U2's only child...i love being spoiled!

I love all these releases, part of my obsession with U2 is on a collector level, I have to buy everything they release.

It's kind of like an adult version of Pokemon; gotta catch them all...

I also think that this new best of was a pretty shrewd move by the band, as much as everyone complains, quite a few die hard fans will purchase it for the new tracks and the bonus DVD and it will hopefully attract some new fans as well.

U2NativeSon said:

1. U218 Singles , is a great compilation , and if you bought the "Deluxe" Edition , you also received the Milan DVD as a bonus. I would say if you have been a fan for a while , you probably have all the tracks , but it does include a couple of new ones ... which should be a sign that new material is sooner than you think. The package is very nice including a booklet.

Great post. The CD/DVD combo is brilliantly packaged, the book is a really interesting insight, we have new material (plus we'll have new b-sides (even if only live) on Window in the Skies), and they've gone back on tour in Australia and NZ with the intention of incorporating stuff from the last tour just so that those fans get a fair deal. I personally won't buy the videos DVD but that's only because I'm not a music DVD watcher. Also, to the U2.com bashers, Propaganda was good but the news was often out of date. Think of U2.com as Propaganda on the web and the yearly bonus that they give for subscription is great. ZOO TV live? Would you not pay the money for it if commercially released?

People still pay good money for the KTS "Zoo Europa" (8/28/93) release and they pay seriously large amounts for the "Zoomerang Live Down Under" (11/26-27/93) silver presses. $32 US (based on renewal cost) is what you can expect to pay for the KTS cds without shipping cost and $32 US doesn't even cover half of what you can expect to pay for official radioshow cds of the Down Under shows.

ZOOULIVE will alone, without question, be worth every single penny of the renewal cost.

A great gift with posters too!

DontExpect said:
...Find me a band that has something close to that or even is interesting enough to talk about 4 million times over. Is there a band whose simple switching of a word in a song from fifteen years ago raises a large response by the fans? Or is there a band who's fans watch them as closely as PLEBA watches our boys?

i feel like U2's only child...i love being spoiled!

Exactly that's why I love U2. Sure the "Stones" have been around since the creation of man, yes the Beatles have left their mark on anything related to rock. But last time I checked, half of the Beatles are dead, and the Stones still sound exactly the same as they did 40 years ago.

We should count ourselves bless that every time we turn around our boys are trying something new. Do we always like it? No.
I'm not that impressed with the U218 tracks, and it's taken me some time to decide if I like "Window" or not. But the good always out does the bad. All you have to do is look at the evolution between
I will Follow, With or Without You, The Fly, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and now Window in the Skies.

This is a truly remarkable band to have so many changes, but yet through all these changes, it is still U2.

Re: Re: U2 Fans Spoiled Rotten ....

bgmckinney said:

I for one hated ZooTV when it was happening (I was thirteen), and had there been an interference, I might have said so.

Then you must have had crap musical taste when you were 13.

The day U2 starts selling action figures, underwear, etc... is the day I complain.

I like the new songs quite a bit and the new release was fun, even if the tracklist wasn't perfect. But I mean, they had room for 18/9 tracks, so you had to expect something was gonna be loft off.

I think it was supposed to come out with the new book, but that idea was scrapped, maybe they felt that their fans shouldn't HAVE to buy the expensive book to get the new tracks.

The Milan DVD was a nice touch too, considering that we will be getting a full length iMax DVD eventually.

And I'm getting U2 by U2 and U2 18 Videos for x-mas, so it's cool, I only had top buy the CD! lol!!!! That's why I love U2's x-mas releases!!!

U2NativeSon said:
3. The lack of POP songs makes me laugh , because the majority of posts I read on here , bash POP , yet there were so many songs on the "Best Of 1990-2000" , even new mixes , so we should all have them anyway ... it also may be possible that PopMart Mexico will finally make it to DVD in 2007.

Point # 3 you make is not necessarily true. While I don't think that Pop is a U2 'masterpiece' I certainly don't loathe it. I think that there is a distinct difference in a opinion as to whether Pop is an absolutely brilliant album, or one that falls much short of being great. However, I don't see much bashing of Pop, just the opposite. I see a loud call to arms regarding Pop's position on the U2 'greatness' chart. It is much beloved in this forum.

Lastly, there will always be fans who disagree with the position or direction in which their favorite band is going. The Pop fans will tell you that U2 is crap now because they are writing true 'pop' songs now and appealing to a wider (dare I say it 'older') audience. :ohmy:

While others will tell you that U2 have finally crafted their artistry and now are compelled to write the best songs they can. You can find fault in both arguments so...:shrug: you get the pointless arguments and petty fighting in these forums. But you know what? If these fans ever got together at a U2 show we'd all being belting the songs out as loud as we could and we'd be :hug: at the end. :yes:

It's all good, don't be afraid to post.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

...you get the pointless arguments and petty fighting in these forums. But you know what? If these fans ever got together at a U2 show we'd all being belting the songs out as loud as we could and we'd be :hug: at the end. :yes:...

I think that's why I :heart: U2 fans, we all bicker over pretty much everything, but give us all tickets to a show, and we'll be each others best friends as we wait in the GA line for a chance to get into that coveted heart/elipse/whatever the heck they'll come up with next

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Lastly, there will always be fans who disagree with the position or direction in which their favorite band is going. The Pop fans will tell you that U2 is crap now because they are writing true 'pop' songs now and appealing to a wider (dare I say it 'older') audience. :ohmy:

While others will tell you that U2 have finally crafted their artistry and now are compelled to write the best songs they can. You can find fault in both arguments so...:shrug: you get the pointless arguments and petty fighting in these forums. But you know what? If these fans ever got together at a U2 show we'd all being belting the songs out as loud as we could and we'd be :hug: at the end. :yes:

It's all good, don't be afraid to post.

:up:

I got my u218 with the milan dvd and I am very happy with it and also feel really spoilt by all the u2 stuff I can get,

as I love live shows, u2 always do the best dvds for those. It always feels emotional even when you are sitting in the living room watching it on a tv screen.. the connection still comes right through on a personal level

and although I have already most of the songs on the u218 album and played them all to death as soon as I put it on the cd player and heard the intros my heart done a little leap of excitment.

so I have no complaints whatsoever and appreciate everything I get, for me it doesn't feel old or worn out or overdone.. it always feels just right.. I just wanna give the four guys a big hug I love them all to bits:heart:

Well, come to think of it, they do have millions of newer fans, those who most likely missed out on the stuff from the older days. And I guess, they can't put this new generation of fans aside.

Me, for example, haven't seen many of their old videos and have never been to their gig (I live in Indonesia). So a DVD of Singles and a concert DVD are like, the best Christmas gift I could expect.

I believe that whatever the boys release (sometimes I wonder if they really want to release them or is it just a company money-making mechanism) is aimed at something.

No, not all will be pleased, especially those die-hard fans who have in their pocket each and every single thing the boys ever did or said. But to newer fans, or fans in waiting, what they're putting out now is like a gem :drool: :drool:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
The Pop fans will tell you that U2 is crap now because they are writing true 'pop' songs now and appealing to a wider (dare I say it 'older') audience.

I have to laugh at this because someone referred to the new material the other day as "dad-rock." It's funny because this has been my favorite band since I was a pimply-faced middle schooler and U2 was considered "alternative rock;" now I am a dad (of two) and they're "dad-rock."

We had a couple (in their mid-twenties) over for turkey day yesterday. We were talking music and I mentioned that my favorite band is U2. The girl replied, "My parents really like them." :happy:

We're going to need a geezer smiley on this board pretty soon.

^^^ Hell no.

U2 is so great b/c their music transcends age, race, etc...

I'm 21, huge U2 fan, my cousin is 20, huge U2 fan, my brother, 18, huge u2 fan, my g/f is 21, medium U2 fan, my g/f's brother, 17, huge U2 fan.

A lot of my friends are casual u2 fans too. Most people who aren't hardcore rap or metal fans, and into good rock music, make up a big chunk of the casual u2 fanbase!

Re: Re: Re: U2 Fans Spoiled Rotten ....

Danny Boy said:

I have to laugh at this because someone referred to the new material the other day as "dad-rock." It's funny because this has been my favorite band since I was a pimply-faced middle schooler and U2 was considered "alternative rock;" now I am a dad (of two) and they're "dad-rock."

We had a couple (in their mid-twenties) over for turkey day yesterday. We were talking music and I mentioned that my favorite band is U2. The girl replied, "My parents really like them." :happy:

We're going to need a geezer smiley on this board pretty soon.

Well Danny Boy if you look at the crowd at a U2 shows, it's pretty evenly mixed. You have a large number of the 15 - 30 crowd and then you have a very healthy dose of 'us' oldtimers. U2 is still spanning the generations, so this 'Dad-Rock' nonsense is just....uh, nonsense.

innocent_eyes said:
The day U2 starts selling action figures, underwear, etc... is the day I complain.

promobono2005.gif

:laugh:

For the record, I don't have U218 yet; it's on my Amazon Wish List. I've received most the things in my U2 collection as gifts - I'm really easy to buy for that way.

The thing is that this forum does not represent the majority of U2 fans nor even the minority of them either. Go to a U2 concert people are coming to see songs off 2 or 3 albums and thats it. Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and maybe ATYCLB, most people could care less whether a POP track or Zooropa track ever gets played again. This is who this album is geared towards, whether its liked here or not.

The real facts are that most of the U2 audience knows 10 songs from the band or less unfortuantly, and these best ofs and greatest hits might change them into somebody that actually comes around to listen to the rest of the albums either for the first time or with an open mind.

Hey Native. :wink:

We are indeed spoiled rotten. The negativity of this forum is insatiable and seems to cover most all of the posts here. Depressing. A good example is the absolute worship of WITS from three weeks ago that has now become a tidal wave of complaints and Beatle comparisons. :lol:

I don't know what to say.

If U2 came here, they'd probably wonder why they even bother. :huh:

U218 never bothered me. I think it's pointless, but so many members here took it as a personal attack without thinking first.

LemonMelon said:
We are indeed spoiled rotten. The negativity of this forum is insatiable and seems to cover most all of the posts here. Depressing. A good example is the absolute worship of WITS from three weeks ago that has now become a tidal wave of complaints and Beatle comparisons. :lol:

Ah, like that wasn't predictable...:hmm:

I guarantee you that three weeks before the next U2 album comes out the fans in this forum will be brimming with excitement and anticipation...only to come back one week after the album has been released to complain that:

a. It's too polished
b. Too mainstream and radio friendly
c. U2 is no longer taking chances
d. It's not as good or risky as (take your pick) Pop, Acthung Baby, Zooropa...Passengers

It's the same bullshit everytime...and there are a certain group of posters that always weigh in with these complaints...always.

Back
Top Bottom