Typical U2 Hater List (feel free to add)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chatted about U2 and Bono to a guy at the office Xmas party, and apparently Bono is the worst kind of egomaniac because he did not talk about Edge's daughter's illness at the Australian Vertigo shows. When I pointed out that the band are very private people, his response was, well they're public figures who have no privacy, why couldn't Bono make something good out of it?

Uhm, what business do we have knowing about it? It's a family matter, has nothing to do with U2 gigs...

Chatted about U2 and Bono to a guy at the office Xmas party, and apparently Bono is the worst kind of egomaniac because he did not talk about Edge's daughter's illness at the Australian Vertigo shows. When I pointed out that the band are very private people, his response was, well they're public figures who have no privacy, why couldn't Bono make something good out of it?

I guess here's my question I'd ask that person: Why would Bono be talking about someone else's daughter to begin with? Obviously he'd care simply because Edge is his friend and he knows his family well and cares about them, too and everything, but that's kind of something I'd probably be expecting Edge to discuss more than Bono, 'cause, well, it's Edge's daughter.

And perhaps Edge didn't feel the world needed to know about that, anyway. Some people don't like attention like that when they or someone they know are sick.

Very odd.

Angela

This person you chatted with hasn't a clue.

I have many bootlegs from the Pacific Leg of Vertigo in late 2006 and almost everytime before "Still Haven't Found," or "Miracle Drug" Bono alludes to it.

Always something along the lines of thank you, thanks for waiting for us, staying with us, etc thank you to God we are here, for our health and for the fact that everyone in this band, and their families are healthy tonight.

If you knew the story, it was pretty clear what he was referring to.

This person you chatted with hasn't a clue.

I have many bootlegs from the Pacific Leg of Vertigo in late 2006 and almost everytime before "Still Haven't Found," or "Miracle Drug" Bono alludes to it.

Always something along the lines of thank you, thanks for waiting for us, staying with us, etc thank you to God we are here, for our health and for the fact that everyone in this band, and their families are healthy tonight.

If you knew the story, it was pretty clear what he was referring to.
yup, that's might be right.

The comic part about that, DondeEsta, is that people dont even realize that regardless of the fact that Edge's music isn't incredibly hard stuff to play, it's still the guitar. To be able to perform as crisp as The Edge, or like any good guitarist live, is incredibly hard.

He's not Jeff Beck, Clapton, or Jimmy Page. But it's not 'easy'. Furthermore, try writing something similar to his riffs, you cant. They're art .

He's not Jeff Beck, Clapton, or Jimmy Page.

I think this is the thing that bothers some people. So many expect rock songs to have long, drawn-out guitar solos in the middle, they expect rock songs that go on for eons. And while a lot of those artists/songs are indeed quite good and there's nothing wrong with a bit of guitar virtuoso playing every now and again, people also forget that just because a song doesn't have a 10 minute guitar solo, that doesn't mean it's not good, or doesn't "rock". Plus, not everyone's into the show-off guitar stuff.

I've never even tried to play guitar, and would probably suck if I did. So I salute anyone who can play it quite well. I figure, if it's so easy, then you give it a try (this is also the same argument I make when I hear people talk about how "easy" it is to rap).

Angela

Ooooh, I just saw something on there from one of my friends' pages the other night-they'd put in a quote that said something to the effect of "If Bono wants to help the less fortunate, he could start by selling those stupid tinted glasses of his".

I didn't even bother replying.

Angela

I worked for a radio station this semester, when I asked where "Achtung Baby" was the bitch I was interning for said "The Mom and Dad Section"...

Like the hipster bullshit she played was any better

I remember that somebody had made fun of Bono´s back....., and another person had said that it´s more important a football game than a concert with a band who always plays the same songs ¬¬ They´d always play the same songs, but they make happy hundreds of people in the world and that´s all.

I have a friend who plays drums in a band, they are all fans of Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden and although they aren't a tribute band they play lots of songs of these two bands and they were always telling me how simple and easy U2 guitar stuff was. Well, last year I was in charge at organising a party for about 300 people and I got them to play at the end of the day and, I think my friend thought that as I was a U2 fan it would be nice to play a U2 song dedicated to me, so they told me that they were going to finish with Vertigo and they asked me for the lyrics. The day of the gig they played lots of songs from different artists, but no U2, so after it while having a beer with them I asked them why, at first they told me it was not so easy and they needed some more rehearsal, so I said, uhm, you're getting problems with the guitar riffs, and my friend had to admit they couldn't figure up how to play them, that they played the notes, but it didn't sound the same!!!! I laughed heartly at them!

I have a friend who plays drums in a band, they are all fans of Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden and although they aren't a tribute band they play lots of songs of these two bands and they were always telling me how simple and easy U2 guitar stuff was. Well, last year I was in charge at organising a party for about 300 people and I got them to play at the end of the day and, I think my friend thought that as I was a U2 fan it would be nice to play a U2 song dedicated to me, so they told me that they were going to finish with Vertigo and they asked me for the lyrics. The day of the gig they played lots of songs from different artists, but no U2, so after it while having a beer with them I asked them why, at first they told me it was not so easy and they needed some more rehearsal, so I said, uhm, you're getting problems with the guitar riffs, and my friend had to admit they couldn't figure up how to play them, that they played the notes, but it didn't sound the same!!!! I laughed heartly at them!

Funny story. And, not to sound like a braggart, but I'm a very amateur guitar player, self-taught, not all that talented, and Vertigo is a really easy song to play on guitar. The lead riff is not very difficult at all, and is actually a lot of fun to play. And then during the verses all Edge does really is just do his scraping the muted strings thing. While Adam plays an equally simple bass line. It's surprising that a working band would struggle with learning that particular song.

So perhaps it was more that they couldn't get the right tone and not that it was too hard to figure out how to play?

Funny story. And, not to sound like a braggart, but I'm a very amateur guitar player, self-taught, not all that talented, and Vertigo is a really easy song to play on guitar. The lead riff is not very difficult at all, and is actually a lot of fun to play. And then during the verses all Edge does really is just do his scraping the muted strings thing. While Adam plays an equally simple bass line. It's surprising that a working band would struggle with learning that particular song.

So perhaps it was more that they couldn't get the right tone and not that it was too hard to figure out how to play?

Yes, I think that was the case, because they said they played the notes, but they didn't sound the same, I also think that they thought it would be so easy they left it to the last second, but it was wonderful for me, I've been laughing at them for more than a year now,....and they will never joke again with how easy music U2 play.

Yes, I think that was the case, because they said they played the notes, but they didn't sound the same, I also think that they thought it would be so easy they left it to the last second, but it was wonderful for me, I've been laughing at them for more than a year now,....and they will never joke again with how easy music U2 play.

Yeah, the thing with Edge is, it seems so easy. But the effects are where the tough part kicks in.

Yeah, the thing with Edge is, it seems so easy. But the effects are where the tough part kicks in.

Indeed. One of my favorite quotes was from Bono who was bemoaning that so many guitar purists criticize Edge for using technology. Bono said "that's like calling Jackson Pollock sloppy."

At any rate, I love this kid. He works really hard to getting Edge's sound just right...

YouTube - U2 - City of Blinding Lights

Ralqh is the bomb!! He's nailed every single Edge tone on each song he's covered. Brilliant stuff! I'm not trying to say much about myself here but I play guitar too and Edge's stuff isn't always easy, especially the effects part of the songs. It's not just sit down and plug into a delay pedal and ta da! You're The Edge. There's more to it than people think. He's got a sound for each separate part of a song. A sound for the verse, a sound for the chorus, the bridge, etc. He never uses the same sound ever again in 20 something songs. That's a lot to keep up with. I barely keep up with two to three different sounds on my own.:lol:

I have giving up talking about U2 with my friends,apart from one they all hate them. And it seems for no good reason,its just ''cool'' to hate U2.

I have giving up talking about U2 with my friends,apart from one they all hate them. And it seems for no good reason,its just ''cool'' to hate U2.

Really? Not in Spain at all, they are one of the dearest foreign bands, even among teenagers there is a good amount of respect for them, there are quite a lot of fans among my students in highschool, but some of them think they are too old, a parents band so to say, but they do like their songs.

Marien said:
Really? Not in Spain at all, they are one of the dearest foreign bands, even among teenagers there is a good amount of respect for them, there are quite a lot of fans among my students in highschool, but some of them think they are too old, a parents band so to say, but they do like their songs.

Well all I get is oasis and the smiths,and stone roses held up as the pinnacle of music. And U2 are too American or have sold out.

Back
Top Bottom