Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein, South Africa Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gods, no... :lol: I admit I've been around for a while, but I've remained happily ignorant of most of what's gone on here in the last 10 years.

I need to get to bed... :wave:

No Shit? What's the quality like?

I still have the second gig, in its original format, haha..Haven't touched it since the gig!

Haven't so much as downloaded it yet! Will be doing that when I'm back in Melbourne next month.

I am considering digging into their discography, Saturday Sun did spark quite a bit of interest. Although I've never really been interested in bands from Australia/NZ, mostly the UK.

You're missing out, since New Zealand in particular has one of the strongest and most vibrant music scenes on the planet (or had, from 1980 to about 1995). As far as the Crowdies go, get yourself Together Alone and the eponymous debut, though perhaps the most emphatic introduction is their live performances. Unpredictable setlists, more intense and reworked versions of songs, improvisations, etc. This tour, they even have a thing on their website where you can request any song from their discography, which has led to them playing some very obscure requests.

This may not mean anything to you Vlad, but it will to the Crowdies fans: out of 12 shows on tour thus far, the band has played a total of 80 songs, including covers and improvisations. Just 5 have been done at every show (Distant Sun, Don't Dream It's Over, Weather With You, Fall At Your Feet, and Saturday Sun). What do you say to There Goes God, Recurring Dream, Kare Kare, Sister Madly, Love This Life, Never Be The Same, Lester, I Feel Possessed, and Everything Is Good For You, just to name a few? I love following their sets.

(Cue predictable Liam comment re: Phish's insane setlist diversity in 3, 2, 1 ... :wink: )

Liam's leaving us hanging...!

Daniel - I'm kinda glad now that I wasn't able to get any Muse GA tickets this morning, cos I didn't see your post until just now. Shall I try for four on Monday or will you be having a go too? I'm also wondering what to do if I/we can't get any GA... go for seats? Hope for a second show and miss out on the first one?

:panic:

Can't believe the GA tickets are the same price as bloody Gold Reserve... so much for GA being the cheaper option. Not to mention the prices on the Muse site were flat-out wrong.

More proof that Muse is turning into U2: Pre-sale fail.

Hey Ali :wave:

I would have lived if I missed out. I don't think I'll be able to have a crack on Monday, I'm on "Tafe Excursion" :lol: I could try from my phone, but I dunno if that'll be any use....

Hey Ali :wave:

I would have lived if I missed out. I don't think I'll be able to have a crack on Monday, I'm on "Tafe Excursion" :lol: I could try from my phone, but I dunno if that'll be any use....

I was wondering how it would go on the phone too... probably not worth it, I can't imagine navigating all those pages and typing in card numbers and clicking little radio buttons on my phone. I'm happy to try to grab you a ticket on Monday too. No one yelled at me today for sitting there hitting the refresh button on Ticketek and swearing for 20 minutes... *L*

You're missing out, since New Zealand in particular has one of the strongest and most vibrant music scenes on the planet (or had, from 1980 to about 1995). As far as the Crowdies go, get yourself Together Alone and the eponymous debut, though perhaps the most emphatic introduction is their live performances. Unpredictable setlists, more intense and reworked versions of songs, improvisations, etc. This tour, they even have a thing on their website where you can request any song from their discography, which has led to them playing some very obscure requests.

This may not mean anything to you Vlad, but it will to the Crowdies fans: out of 12 shows on tour thus far, the band has played a total of 80 songs, including covers and improvisations. Just 5 have been done at every show (Distant Sun, Don't Dream It's Over, Weather With You, Fall At Your Feet, and Saturday Sun). What do you say to There Goes God, Recurring Dream, Kare Kare, Sister Madly, Love This Life, Never Be The Same, Lester, I Feel Possessed, and Everything Is Good For You, just to name a few? I love following their sets.

(Cue predictable Liam comment re: Phish's insane setlist diversity in 3, 2, 1 ... :wink: )

No, that's very impressive. Will take your advice.

Do you get national pride from knowing that one of your very favourite bands is from NZ? (Even though they're regarded as Australian, stupid Aus people claiming everyone as their own. :happy:)

Just watching the Blues getting off to a brutal start against Melbourne ...

No, that's very impressive. Will take your advice.

Do you get national pride from knowing that one of your very favourite bands is from NZ? (Even though they're regarded as Australian, stupid Aus people claiming everyone as their own. :happy:)

Well, technically, Crowded House are Australian, as they were formed by Neil Finn (from New Zealand) and Nick Seymour and Paul Hester (both from Australia) after the demise of Split Enz (from New Zealand) in Melbourne in 1985. Neil's been asked if he thinks of the Crowdies as Kiwi or Aussie ... his diplomatic reply was something to the effect that they're "an Australian band playing New Zealand music".

Though if I were to do a top 20 bands, it'd have at least four from New Zealand - Split Enz, The Chills, The Bats, and Straitjacket Fits. Maybe a couple of others too ...

Well, technically, Crowded House are Australian, as they were formed by Neil Finn (from New Zealand) and Nick Seymour and Paul Hester (both from Australia) after the demise of Split Enz (from New Zealand) in Melbourne in 1985. Neil's been asked if he thinks of the Crowdies as Kiwi or Aussie ... his diplomatic reply was something to the effect that they're "an Australian band playing New Zealand music".

Though if I were to do a top 20 bands, it'd have at least four from New Zealand - Split Enz, The Chills, The Bats, and Straitjacket Fits. Maybe a couple of others too ...

Oh, okay. :up:

Just back from vacuum cleaning the house. And yes, Carlton are giving Melbourne a bath. Melbourne's start wasn't too good I'm afraid.

Haha, a couple of players going for a mark nearly collided with a pigeon ...!

Looks like pigeon central there right now.

Pigeons. :laugh:

I remember a particular cricket game where a ball hit a pigeon, or was it a seagull?

I remember a cricket game over at the WACA when a seagull made off with somebody's handbag and was - with quite considerable effort to fly - carrying it over the outfield!

A bird flew into a window and killed itself in front of my brother. That was hard to explain.

I remember myself in primary school in the "music" room always being distracted by a magpie that kept on flying itself into the window. It never stopped. It was fun.

I had this class at my primary school in New Zealand that the birds just loved to fly into. Usually they just got winded by hitting the windows (a couple broke their necks and that was that), but one day, one got stuck in the skylight ... that was unpleasant, but it lived; the groundskeeper managed to free it.

Amazed no windows were actually broken.

On a more humorous note, I recall a running of the Gold Coast Indy car race a good few years ago now when the TV cameras spotted a $50 note (or maybe a $100?) floating down the track ... only for a seagull to swoop in, snatch it up, and bugger off.

:lmao:

A few years back I was at a friend's place and a pigeon walked into the house (the door was open), it proceeded to sit on the air conditioner and then a globe of a world. Luckily the bird was patient enough to let us take a few photos of it. I remember asking my friend earlier this year if he still had the photos, he had deleted them, or rather someone else did. :D :angry:

If they weren't so diseased, I'd have been tempted to catch and cook that pigeon. :wink:

And ugh, I'm working on a U2gigs article that is taking FOREVER. I expected it to be a quick job, especially as it's based on a post I made here. Of course not. It's considerably expanded, and by considerably, I mean it'll probably become a multi-part series. I'm not even optimistic I'll finish it today. (I always finish my multi-part articles in one go, lest I post the first part and then never come back to it.)

Oh, and hey Vladders, you watching B/R/Vladelaide vs Freo?

Ouch, such a commitment now eh?

I'm now downloading Kingdom/Soon.

It's honestly more the code that's killing me. If I didn't have to dig up so many links and do so much code, it'd be probably much closer to completion. I like what I'm writing about, but I didn't expect it to drag out like this. I always under-estimate how long articles will take me though, since I always get way too meticulous about them.

Hah, I checked earlier today if there was a download and didn't find one. Care to swing me the link?

I can't get to it. Telecast starts at 5:30. My internet has been slowed after exceeding usage limits so forget about trying AFL.com's live match centre.

I'm following the gameday thread on BigFooty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom