Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
from RS:
...and the ambitious possible album opener "Tripoli," which violently lurches between different sections.

It doesn't sound like something only 2-3 min long.

Well, the violent lurches actually imply to me that it would be shorter rather than longer. Long songs that change directions multiple times probably wouldn't do so 'violently', although obviously no one can say for sure at this point.

Edit: I see you beat me to LemonMelon :)

I would think that the changes would be more violent/surprising if they were shorter in length and more numerous. Also, I thought it was supposed to be an instrumental? No way will U2 release a 7-8 minute instrumental.

Instrumental? Different sections, with violent changes between them? Opening track? Sounds like a certain band's been listening a leeeeetle too much to Coldplay...

:wink:

Well, the instrumental bit was just the impression that I've gotten. I don't know how they would fit lyrics into that. You could compare it to Zooropa, which has three sections, but I wouldn't say that the transitions of that song are particularly "violent".

I would think that the changes would be more violent/surprising if they were shorter in length and more numerous. Also, I thought it was supposed to be an instrumental? No way will U2 release a 7-8 minute instrumental.

Hmmm...didn't Bono made some references when talking about writing in third person that this was about a cop/whatever? It probably means that this is not an instrumental.
But you seem right about the changes.

It could be party instrumental (or choir-only) and part "normal" song. That would make sense given the descriptions.

Hmmm...didn't Bono made some references when talking about writing in third person that this was about a cop/whatever. It probably means that this is not an instrumental.

:doh: Forgot about this.

Oh well, it's probably 4 something minutes, like everything else.

But it would be sooooo good if it had 8 min with choirs, guitar solos, and on top of everything else: if it is better than Zooropa. :drool:

Coldplay already had a song that lurched violently between 3 different sections on Viva la Vida. U2 can't stop copying them.

U2 doesn't copy... they make things better. :wink:

Bram...are you drunk? How do figure U2 copy's Coldplay.....they purposely recruited Eno just so they could match some of U2's sound (Achtung, Zooropa)......it's obvious which band is trying to be like their hero's. Due some reading, Coldplay has admitted that they have always wanted U2's sound.

Bram...are you drunk? How do figure U2 copy's Coldplay.....they purposely recruited Eno just so they could match some of U2's sound (Achtung, Zooropa)......it's obvious which band is trying to be like their hero's. Due some reading, Coldplay has admitted that they have always wanted U2's sound.

a couple of quick points:

1. the probability of bram or anyone else on this forum (including me as I post this) of being drunk is extremely high...so its well within the realm of possibility. *takes sip of beer* :wink:

2. I think he might be joking.....just a guess.

Haha! No, not drunk and certainly not serious. It's a running joke in this forum to say that U2 is copying Coldplay. Which obviously is not the case.

Although, in all seriousness--the structural description of Tripoli sounds very similar to that one track on V la V (track 4 I think?).

Although, in all seriousness--the structural description of Tripoli sounds very similar to that one track on V la V (track 4 I think?).

Maybe your thinking about "42" which changes direction abruptly after about 2 minutes, then returns for the final 30 seconds. Similar in structure to Snow Patrol's "Open Your Eyes" with that crashing instrumental piece.

But I think the Coldplay song that possible better evokes the "Tripoli" formula is "Glass of Water" from Prospekt's March. The switch between verses and choruses is maybe what we'll see in "Tripoli".

What the hell is it with poeple comparing U2 with Coldplay, The Killers and Snowpatrol..... U2 is in a different league, these other bands are nothing compared to them! Enough of the vivalavida BS please!! It is like comparing Ayton Senna to Felipe Massa or Don Bradman to Kevin Peterson.... the new guy might be pretty good, but in no way can they be on the same level as the legend that they aspire to!

Anyhow, another point.. What is with all the speculation on Winter now being off the album?? Where did this start??

Maybe because Eno's last job before NLOTH was Coldplays VLV. And the Snow Patrol reference was just an example (one produced by Jacknife Lee, a recent U2 collaborator). Don't get on your high horse about it.

Not just in this thread and not just because of Eno or Lee... it's becoming far too common a theme here..... more comparisons with Led Zep, Beatles, Pearl Jam, REM etc please. U2 covers all the genres that these bands live in and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom