SOE ranking in U2’s catalogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All-time favorites:

Zooropa
Joshua Tree

Fantastic:

Achtung Baby
Pop
War
Boy

Great but flawed:

Unforgettable Fire
Passengers

Good/enjoyable:

Rattle and Hum
NLOTH
October

Decent:

ATYCLB
HTDAAB

Don't like:

SOI
SOE

Last edited:
Masterpieces
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree

Classics
3. Zooropa
4. War

Amazing but not quite Classics:
5. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
6. Songs Of Experience
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Songs Of Innocence

Great
9. Pop
10. Rattle And Hum
11. Boy
12. No Line On The Horizon

Good
13. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
14. October

I think SOE may eventually get to #5. Needs another month or so to see if it stands up after more listens.

Alright an album ranking thread ..

JT
AB
Pop
Unforgettable Fire
No Line
October
Songs of Innocence
Zooropa
Songs of Experience
Boy
R&H
ATCYLB/Bomb (tie)
War

As much as I don't care too much for NLOTH, strongly dislike Zooropa and don't care much for POP (all are in my bottom 4 but not last), I do appreciate that some here do put them in their top 3 or top spot. Diversity of opinion speaks to the depth of this bands achievements

As much as I don't care too much for NLOTH, strongly dislike Zooropa and don't care much for POP (all are in my bottom 4 but not last), I do appreciate that some here do put them in their top 3 or top spot. Diversity of opinion speaks to the depth of this bands achievements

I think there's a difference between what many people consider to be U2's best album and what their favourite U2 album is, and subsequent placings thereafter. There is for me in any case.

Last edited:
God-Tier
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

Amazing
War
The Unforgettable Fire
Songs of Experience

Good, sometimes Great/meh
Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Band
Rattle and Hum
Songs of Innocence

Okay-Meh
Zooropa
Boy
No Line on the Horizon
October

1.AB
2.TJT
3.POP
4.Zooropa
5.Boy
6.R&H
7.ATYCLB
8.War
9.UF
10/11.SOE/SOI
12.Passengers
13.HTDAAB
14.October
15.NLOTH

These are so fluid -- they are mostly an expression of how I feel at a particular time. For example, before NLOTH and SOI was pretty sure I liked POP more than anything. Now I find War up there because I'm listening to it a lot recently.

1. Achtung Baby (sonically and spiritually their finest masterpiece, and the sound of U2 chopping down that god forsaken Joshua Tree)

2. War (I mean it has The Refugee -- the song I blew my car speakers on)

3. Songs of Experience (Similar to but better than ATYCLB -- doesn't have the hits but the deep cuts are oh so good).

4. All That You Can't Leave Behind (because it hits me with the feels and tears)

5. Boy (the most important U2 album)

6. The Joshua Tree (nice picture of America, but my country pisses me off, and this puts it too much on a pedestal. Plus old folks still think it's their best work and that pisses me off too)

7. The Unforgettable Fire (A Sort of Homecoming, Pride, Bad, Wire, and Elvis Presley and America -- especially Elvis Presley and America because it just feels so good)

8. Songs of Innocence (as a narrative the most cohesive U2 album ever put together and it has some real gems)

9. Pop (less interesting to me these days, but still an album I listen through and through)

10. Zooropa (less interesting to me these days)

11. No Line on The Horizon (after SOI I realized how undisciplined U2's song writing was on this record. I used to hold it in higher regard but now it's just TUF without the greatness).

12. Rattle and Hum (these songs were cool when I was a teenager, but now sound too stuck in the past)

13. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Vertigo will always make me rock, Original of the Species is one of the best U2 songs -- but the rest don't feel timeless)

Catorce. October (I still love you -- just not as much as the others, you unfinished sketch of a better album)

AB
Joshua Tree
War
ATYCLB
UF
Boy
SOE
Zooropa
SOI
HTDAAM
October
Pop
Rattle &Hum
NLOTH

So it falls right in the middle.

U2 albums vary so much that I find it hard to compare them to each other. For now, I’d rank SOE above HTDAAB, October, NLOTH, R&H, and Pop. And I guess above SOI for now, although I think it’s too easy to be critical with the second-newest album when a new one comes out, so I hesitate to say that.

I've avoided this as, like Rachel said, my love for these albums is just too fluid to list accurately.
But as a harmless diversion:

1. The Joshua Tree. Not a complete album like Achtung but it was my first. And it's incredible.

2. Achtung Baby. Any album that can start as strong as Zoo Station and end as strong as Love is Blindness and still have a middle that you never skip is the definition of perfect.

3. Boy. That guitar. The raw accessibility of the songs.

4. Unforgettable Fire. If Pride and Bad were as good as the R&H versions, and if Disappearing Act and Love Comes Tumbling made it, would be number 1.

5. Rattle and Hum. List those studio songs and marvel at the vein of creativity these guys were in.

6. Zooropa. Didn't like it in 1993. Love it now.

7. Songs of Experience

8. October. Four incredible songs. Incredible. And some duds.

9. War. Never really connected with it, yet I acknowledge its awesomeness. Like yoga.

10. No Line. Went to Cadiz just after this was released. Was the music of that trip, so its filled with good memories. I fucking hate Boots.

11. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I like Yahweh. And Original of the Species. And Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own. And Crumbs. So fuck off.

12. Songs of Innocence. Great back end. Shit front end. Kinda like a moose.

13. Pop. Just don't like it. Never have. Some great stuff on it but leaves me depressed.

14. All that You Can't Leave Behind. Yawn.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Zooropa
4. The Joshua Tree
5. All That You Can't Leave Behind
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. War
8. Boy
9. Songs of Experience
10. Songs of Innocence
11. Rattle and Hum
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. October
14. No Line on the Horizon

- Achtung Baby
- Joshua Tree
- Unforgettable Fire
- Zooropa
- Songs of Experience
- War
- Boy
- Pop
- All That You Can't Leave Behind
- Songs of Innocence
- Rattle & Hum
- No Line on the Horizon
- October
- How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

1. AB
2. JT
3. Zooropa
4. TUF
5. War
6. SOE (as of 12/4/17)
7. Pop
8. ATYCLB
9. RAH
10. SOI/Passengers
11. NLOTH
12. Boy
13. October
14. HTDAAB

1 Achtung Baby - This and #2 are on par
2 The Joshua Tree - This and #1 are both very consistent and great albums

3 All That You Can't Leave Behind - My guilty pleasure
4 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Another guilty pleasure

5 The Unforgettable Fire - Some amazing songs, but as a whole feels incomplete

6 Songs Of Innocence - A lot of meh, but some good stuff
7 War - Not a bad all-rounder but not much grabs me either

8 Songs Of Experience - Not keen overall but it has a couple of gems on it
9 No Line On The Horizon - An underwhelming album

10 Boy - Not really my thing, but I recognise it as 'better' than some I've ranked above it

11 Pop - Could have been much better - too unfinished and Miami drags it down

12 Rattle And Hum - Don't care for it much
13 Zooropa - Too weird for my taste
14 October - Hardly anything good on it for me

Ok, of course SOE's position will change a bit over the coming weeks and months.

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Zooropa
5. Original Soundtracks 1
6. Boy
7. Pop
8. October
9. War
10. Rattle and Hun
11. ATYCLB
12. SOI
13. NLOTH
14. SOE
15. HTDAAB

11 Pop - Could have been much better - too unfinished

Songs like If You Wear That Velvet Dress for example. With some oomph and a bit more energy I think I'd really like it, but the version on Pop sounds like everyone, especially Bono, is asleep.

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Boy
6. Songs of Experience
7. Pop
8. How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
9. War
10. Songs of Innocence
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind
12. Rattle and Hum
13. No Line on the Horizon
14. October

I'm pretty confident in my top half. Boy is so fantastic but lacks the oompf that the top 4 have. Songs of Experience is a better package than Pop, and Pop is a fantastic album. I love HtDaAB, so it's above the next six. The next six all jockey for new spots depending how I'm feeling. October has some of U2's best songs on it, so I'm sad to put it last. But sometimes it's number 9.

Last edited:
Why no love for Rattle and Hum. If you look just at the studio tracks it’s insanely amazing.....Desire, AOH, AIWIY, Heartland, God Part 2....

Why no love for Rattle and Hum. If you look just at the studio tracks it’s insanely amazing.....Desire, AOH, AIWIY, Heartland, God Part 2....

I like, maybe even love, a lot of that album. The tracks above are incredible, Van Diemens Land and Silver and Gold are fine, but there is a lot of fat there. And by the logic you frame above we should give NLOTH a pass if we cut out the middle bits and add Winter. As presented, that album is bloated, disorganized, and preachy. It takes a long time to uncover the magic of it and it can be, frankly, an exhausting listen front to back.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Pop
5. Zooropa
6. Boy
7. Rattle and Hum
8. War
9. Songs of Experience
10. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
11. Songs of Innocence
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. October
14. No Line on the Horizon

I’d personally rank Songs of Experience as the best of the post-2000 albums so far, but with the exception of October, neither SOE or anything else from ATYLCB onward can really hold a candle to output from Boy through Pop for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom