Tour DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Booooooring!!!

I say pick and choose the best performances!

I disagree, you are suppose to be filming what the show was like. How can you have a cohesive show when songs are from all over the place? You can't, not to mention then we get a complete soundboard recording of a show as well if they release a single concert. Also, are you leaving it in the hands of the band and/or a producer like Hamish (YIKES) to decide which are best? Typically its not what the fans think. You eliminate that when you make it one show. Its just the band and the show, thats how its suppose to be and what its like to experience it in person. A compilation does not accomplish that task.

I think a compilation is Booooring!!!!! :wink:

I disagree, you are suppose to be filming what the show was like. How can you have a cohesive show when songs are from all over the place? You can't, not to mention then we get a complete soundboard recording of a show as well if they release a single concert. Also, are you leaving it in the hands of the band and/or a producer like Hamish (YIKES) to decide which are best? Typically its not what the fans think. You eliminate that when you make it one show. Its just the band and the show, thats how its suppose to be and what its like to experience it in person. A compilation does not accomplish that task.

I think a compilation is Booooring!!!!! :wink:

Who says you are suppose to be filming what the show was like? I don't remember any rules. Why not film what the tour was like, document the tour? When have you ever heard the band allowing anyone to choose their best performances to a producer? I don't think there is a TYPICAL when it comes to what the fans think, we're all over the place.

I just think the pressure to nail one show, knowing the cameras are on you inhibit the band sometimes.

I'd prefer a compilation. That means you stand a better chance of seeing songs that weren't played regularly on tour.

hell no to a compilation. Stick the 'rarities' on the bonus disc. Just give me a blu ray of a concert filmed over one night. Leave all the little mistakes in. Only way to do it

If not a compilation, then I'd say put the rarities on another disc like Telephone88 said. Also, I hope there is a "Making of The Claw" bonus when the DVD comes out. :up:

I've got no problem with a compilation from 3-4 different nights.

I'd prefer a compilation. That means you stand a better chance of seeing songs that weren't played regularly on tour.

Me too. It's more expensive to produce, but then you get the *best* version of Ultraviolet, the *best* version of Breathe, etc. Less-than-perfect versions of songs won't make the cut.

Who says you are suppose to be filming what the show was like? I don't remember any rules. Why not film what the tour was like, document the tour? When have you ever heard the band allowing anyone to choose their best performances to a producer? I don't think there is a TYPICAL when it comes to what the fans think, we're all over the place.

I just think the pressure to nail one show, knowing the cameras are on you inhibit the band sometimes.

Look at the Slane DVD, that is one of their best DVD releases IMO and for the most part it is all one show not a bunch spliced together. What about Red Rocks? Last I checked its all from the same show. Seems to have worked there as well. Or even Zoo TV from Sydney, or Mexico Popmart. Rattle and Hum was a non cohesive mess from the concert perspective. I dont think it captured the feel of the Joshua Tree tour at all. :shrug:

Knowing the type of additional production U2 uses for their DVD shoots. How could they put together a DVD of a mix of the best of the tour? They would have to use that production at every single show. Not happening. They would film two max. If thats the case (which it will be at the most) then I think they should just pick the best show of the two and release it rather than splicing them together like they have in the past for the Boston and Chicago shoots.

Me too. It's more expensive to produce, but then you get the *best* version of Ultraviolet, the *best* version of Breathe, etc. Less-than-perfect versions of songs won't make the cut.

surely a compilation would be more expensive? For a one shoot show you set the gear up once, get your material then head to the editing room. All one.

With a compilation you would have to film numerous shows, set the camera up numerous times, pick the best performances then edit each and every song you choose. Sounds like a crap more work (and money)

Look at the Slane DVD, that is one of their best DVD releases IMO and for the most part it is all one show not a bunch spliced together.
I think Slane work because it was a special show, they enery was so intense that it canceled out any nerves of "we have one shot to get it perfect. I think ZooTV, Pop, Elevation, and Vertigo all suffer(even though only slightly at times) from this.

Knowing the type of additional production U2 uses for their DVD shoots. How could they put together a DVD of a mix of the best of the tour? They would have to use that production at every single show. Not happening. They would film two max. If thats the case (which it will be at the most) then I think they should just pick the best show of the two and release it rather than splicing them together like they have in the past for the Boston and Chicago shoots.

Rattle and Hum suffered because it couldn't make up it's mind if it was a documentary or a concert film. You are thinking too much in the past. Lots of bands have pulled off compilations very successfully without the big productions at every show. Boston, Chicago, Sydney all suffered from splicing two shows and trying to make it look like one, but honestly only a die hard is going to notice.

Ideally U2 would need at least one open air stadium where they filmed with aerial and large booms, and then maybe three other shows with varying different productions, that's it. Four shows and they would have a great DVD, maybe a few more if they add some rarities... It would be perfection :drool:

You record a single show DVD when you want to capture what an entire tour is about or the setting in one show, if that show can actually capture that. Slane was a great example of being able to do that. You make a compliation when you want to capture the essence of a tour when one show simply can't. I think the 360 could benefit from a complitation type tour documentary that captures various shows in several stadiums, the different songs that were played, and of course the setting up of the claw.

But who knows. We could get a single show then a mini documentary tacked on with a few songs that didn't make the final cut tacked onto the special features.

I'd love both those concepts from each tour, its awesome to have a well-produced take on a single show (especially when its actually one show, although U23D actually succeeded in capturing that feel in spite of being many shows combined) to have that documented, but in order to get the scope of the evolution of an entire tour it'd be cool to have a Touring Band type DVD as well (one that doesn't make any apologies for being a compilation), I'm sure some day we'll get a big box set of single song performances like that, hopefully then stuff like Electrical Storm will see the light of day with decent production values.

I suspect that the advancements in their "in-show" video gear is letting them have only one BIG shoot this time around. The last few tours, they shot two shows with "full production" gear because their "every night" stuff wouldn't have provided what they needed for additional angles, replacing performance mistakes, etc.

On this tour, they have multiple HD cameras (many with the ability to dolly around the stage/ramps, as well as boom up and down) as part of the production. So if Bono blows the words to Streets, for example, they can replace it with a clip from one of dozens of 'correct' performances from previous or subsequent shows - just not the big 'money' shots from a helicopter or 40-foot camera crane that are presumably part of the BIG shoot.

And yes, I'm betting on the Rose Bowl as the location.

I think Slane work because it was a special show, they enery was so intense that it canceled out any nerves of "we have one shot to get it perfect. I think ZooTV, Pop, Elevation, and Vertigo all suffer(even though only slightly at times) from this.

Rattle and Hum suffered because it couldn't make up it's mind if it was a documentary or a concert film. You are thinking too much in the past. Lots of bands have pulled off compilations very successfully without the big productions at every show. Boston, Chicago, Sydney all suffered from splicing two shows and trying to make it look like one, but honestly only a die hard is going to notice.

Ideally U2 would need at least one open air stadium where they filmed with aerial and large booms, and then maybe three other shows with varying different productions, that's it. Four shows and they would have a great DVD, maybe a few more if they add some rarities... It would be perfection :drool:

How can I be thinking too much in the past with last official tour DVD was a splice hack job? That was 4 years ago! You are right, probably only the diehards would notice the splicing. Are we not all diehards here? Isn't this about what we would "like" to see and why? If you are going on what the general public will think it wont matter either way. Even the "special" performances you want captured in a compilation DVD would not matter to the general fan/audience. Do you think they care that Electrical Storm was done or even notice a difference between a couple of performances of Breathe? No way.

I would like a complete show as a diehard fan. I collect bootlegs and the ultimate is a full pro shot and/or soundboard recording for me. A full concert of just one show would accomplish this and thats why I would like it. I also think it makes it more cohesive and better as a result as well. You disagree on that.

What about this though. Film two shows, pick the best one, release it as a complete show. Then have a bonus disc special edition of some of the different songs they did at other shows, like Electrical Storm, etc. along with some type of documentary about the staging. You make the bonus material worthwhile in that situation and everybody wins IMO. :shrug:

PS: what part of the Zoo TV Sydney DVD was spliced from another show? I was not aware of it, just curious what part and what show did it come from? I don't remember much, if any, difference between the official DVD (except no Tryin) versus the pay per view.

How can I be thinking too much in the past

I meant that you are basing it on R&H and the big productions of the past 4 tours. All I meant is that there are more ways of filming that U2 have not yet played with, just like I said earlier you could really only get away with one night big production booms, etc and film the rest without hardly anyone noticing.

PS: what part of the Zoo TV Sydney DVD was spliced from another show? I was not aware of it, just curious what part and what show did it come from? I don't remember much, if any, difference between the official DVD (except no Tryin) versus the pay per view.
I can't tell you exactly where but there are a few distance shots from the night before when Adam wasn't there, I'm not sure about audio, but there's rumor of some added or corrected vocals here and there.

The single show thing is fine with me. The annoying thing was we had 3 dvds from the last tour, and all together imo they dont match up to slane. They need to get it right on this one, spice the setlist up, add in Bad, The Fly, ES. They can make a concert experience so much better from bono just holding a long long note at the start of streets, him putting some passion into wowy or even BD. I mean look at slane, holding that long note at start of streets made it that so much more as a whole dvd, or even shouting the lyrics with passion for BD instead of walking through the songs like he does nowadays. They have everything, the stage, the crowd, the set if they add in bad and a few more rockers, all they need is some more passion instead of standing at the front of the stage singing the song, why not run around the circle shouting the lyrics, with loads of passion.

I can't tell you exactly where but there are a few distance shots from the night before when Adam wasn't there, I'm not sure about audio, but there's rumor of some added or corrected vocals here and there.

Regarding the audio on ZooTV Sydney, from www.u2wanderer.org:

This concert video is 118 minutes in length, and marked the first time U2 had released a full show on video since 1983's Under a Blood Red Sky. The video was filmed in Sydney Australia on the fall leg of 1993's Zoo TV tour. They had filmed two nights in Sydney, one a warm up night, became problematic when Adam Clayton did not show up to perform. Instead his tech, Stuart Morgan played bass that night.
The second night was filmed again, this time with Adam Clayton performing, and it was an amazing concert. One song performed that night is not included in the video release. "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World" did not make the video for some reason. There are other changes evident when one listens to a concert bootleg of this show, including a shortened speech by Bono in the official concert release.
(Of course, we all know why TTTYAATW was cut - the girl pulled onstage to swig champagne with yer man was a minor. Oops!)

The single show thing is fine with me. The annoying thing was we had 3 dvds from the last tour, and all together imo they dont match up to slane. They need to get it right on this one, spice the setlist up, add in Bad, The Fly, ES. They can make a concert experience so much better from bono just holding a long long note at the start of streets, him putting some passion into wowy or even BD. I mean look at slane, holding that long note at start of streets made it that so much more as a whole dvd, or even shouting the lyrics with passion for BD instead of walking through the songs like he does nowadays. They have everything, the stage, the crowd, the set if they add in bad and a few more rockers, all they need is some more passion instead of standing at the front of the stage singing the song, why not run around the circle shouting the lyrics, with loads of passion.

Remember that Slane was a happy accident, where an otherworldly performance just happened to be shot. (The band had to be convinced to release it!) Red Rocks is another example. Historically, though, the band is a bunch of control freaks who seem to prefer releasing "perfect" shows, rather than "amazing" ones. So don't expect those fan-favorite rarities (like Electrical Storm or Bad or Stay) in the official release. The reason they're not playing them every night is because the band prefers the "standard" setlist - and I believe that's what we'll get on the eventual DVD.

Remember that Slane was a happy accident, where an otherworldly performance just happened to be shot. (The band had to be convinced to release it!)

Is that actually true. All them cameras ect and they didnt even know they were being shot for a dvd release. Anyways like i said, just hope this dvd is something a bit more intimate then the last dvds from the VT. But seeing the claw exploding on dvd, seeing them lights come back for streets, and bono voice on top form, im sure there is nothing to be worried about. Even tho we all know it most probably wont top slane, which i hope they do on this tour.

Is that actually true. All them cameras ect and they didnt even know they were being shot for a dvd release. Anyways like i said, just hope this dvd is something a bit more intimate then the last dvds from the VT. But seeing the claw exploding on dvd, seeing them lights come back for streets, and bono voice on top form, im sure there is nothing to be worried about. Even tho we all know it most probably wont top slane, which i hope they do on this tour.

My memory of it is that they were shooting for a TV special for xmas, and a few songs were broadcast in various countries on xmas day (Elevation, BD, OOC, SBS, AOH, Pride, One), and petitions circulated for them to release it all, and the band were hasseled about it, so they did

And yes, I'm betting on the Rose Bowl as the location.

Nooooooooooo not another concert shot in the Americas. We already have UABRS, R&H, Popmart, Boston Elevation, Chicago Vertigo, u23d, so enuff love for the American continet. We need more European footage. From a 30 yr career, we only have 1 proper european gig DVD. Not good enuff!

Nooooooooooo not another concert shot in the Americas. We already have UABRS, R&H, Popmart, Boston Elevation, Chicago Vertigo, u23d, so enuff love for the American continet. We need more European footage. From a 30 yr career, we only have 1 proper european gig DVD. Not good enuff!

They have yet to do a DVD from LA though!:hyper: If it's from the Rose Bowl that would be pretty cool (for those of us who will be there).

Back
Top Bottom