Those of Arabic Decent here in US.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2junkie

The Fly
I saw a new broadcast this morning (Boston)....On Good Day America.....
As unfortunately expected retalliation is being brought against those of Arabic Decent in the Boston Area. Those who were born and raised here. Those, who also, may have had a loved one or new of someone parished in the WTC crisis. The individual speaking was of Arabic decent. He said, during this week co-workers whom he was close with will only give him a "distant" hello. While, in Boston, he said most stores owned by Arabic people are closed due to threats and violence. PLEASE, let's not turn this into a civil war as well. Tim McVeigh was an American...yet we don't look at all Americans as scum. The same should apply in this case. These people are suffering as well, maybe more because they are being shunned from the support of the citizens of the US. This is wrong. Yes....there are, FOR SURE, ARABS amoung us who mean harm to this nation. But, we cannot look at everyone of them among us and automatically pass judgement. Officials are doing well at their job. Those that are in anyway involved.........we'll get them. May God of mercy on them....'cause we sure won't. But keep in mind those Arabs who are innocent and feeling this pain as well. Can you distinguish the good from the bad......no. Can you distinguish a good american from a bad on.......no. I make this post, because of the tears in this man's eyes this morning.....his pain. And nobody will comfort him, except those of his "own" kind. So, please, as you walk the streets of Boston, or whereever.......just bare this in mind.

This may sound very idealistic, but these people are American citizens. Their families may have originated in the Middle East, but these people are Americans. Let's try not to forget that and try to stay calm in this time of great turmoil.

I agree. Didn't we learn anything of the Japanese internment camps. Let's try to be logical now and not have to apologize 40 years from now.

well said

------------------
"As guests on MTV in '82 -Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry - they were asked to describe what they had that separated them from other artists, what made them special. If you think about it, it was a pretty ballsy question, but then again the channel was young. U2 simply responded, 'Watch us and see.' So here we are almost two decades, thirteen albums, millions of fans and more than 50 music videos later, we find ourselves still watching.

Their music - the unforgettable fires and the streets with no names - stretched far beyond the sonic landscape. The beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart. When Bono shouts 'This is not a rebel song' at the start of 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday', we know that it really is. It is the sound of a generation rebelling against its own indifference.

And yes, the rumors are true. These four lads from Dublin are, indeed, rock stars. They smoke. They drink. They use bad language in mixed company. They're extremely rich and they can flash more bling than most posses in this room. They have also - they have also done more than most governments to eliminate debt in Third World countries. Rock stars they are, and God bless them for that.

What really separates U2 from the rest, more importantly, is relevance. The only thing that keeps an artists credible and alive for this long is relevance. From Boy to Joshua Tree to All That You Can't Leave Behind, this is what music feels like when it's done right. It's a fist in the air, a kick in the balls, and two hearts beating as one, and we have it all on video for you."

Originally posted by Jenn121:
Their families may have originated in the Middle East, but these people are Americans.

Even if their fresh on to the soil with the thickest accent imaginable, they should not be looked down upon. Even if this tragedy was the doing of their government. That fact would point to why they are in your nation rather than at home.

------------------
'you two will get old.'
Baz Luhrman, 'Everybody's Free(To Wear Sun Screen)'

Here in the LA area, i havent personally seen too much discrimination of middle easterneres yet. Some guys walked in here wearing turbans today, no one seemed to pay them any mind. At the information desk, the workers didnt seem to be treating them any differently.
I see guys with turbans fairly often here, no one seems to be staring at 'em or anything.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Back
Top Bottom