This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song just screams for a place in the "Top U2 songs" category, doesn't it?

It does. What I love the most about this song is that it stands on its own within U2's catalog. There is no other song of theirs that sounds like this one. The intro leading into the chorus is phenomenal. Edge's guitar work on this song takes the cake!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I dunno, this song suffers from the Magnificent Syndrome. The first minute is the most exciting.

I actually find the first min to be the worst part of the song. When I first heard it I was turned off and then that bass and drum beat kicked in!

I actually find the first min to be the worst part of the song. When I first heard it I was turned off and then that bass and drum beat kicked in!

Different strokes. Once the beat kicks in and those scooby doo keyboards take over a sense of urgency is lost for me. It ends up just sounding like a Clash B-side.

Actually, this would have been the perfect opportunity for Edge to show off his classic rock side. I love the Stonesy bit in the intro.

I dunno, this song suffers from the Magnificent Syndrome. The first minute is the most exciting.

Uh...no. Magnificent AKA "Slower version of Pride", sounds absolutely nothing like this song. The intro is the slowest part, it picks up right around the middle.

Uh...no. Magnificent AKA "Slower version of Pride", sounds absolutely nothing like this song. The intro is the slowest part, it picks up right around the middle.

I didn't say it sounded like Magnificent. Read it again.

And Magnificent sounds nothing like Pride... slower, faster or anywhere in between.

Soooo there's that

This goes up there in the top ten of bizarre opinions.

And Magnificent sounds nothing like Pride... slower, faster or anywhere in between.

Soooo there's that

This goes up there in the top ten of bizarre opinions.

Yes. It sounds just like a slowed down version of pride. I don't know what you guys are listening to, listen more closely and compare.
-Main riff is nearly identical
-Only love coda in magnificent
-in the name of love in pride
-sung nearly identical.
-only main difference is the fact that Magnificent is slowed down and lacks the drumming in Pride. Lyrically similar, sonically similar, etc.
Magnificent is basically a pride rewrite.

Yes. It sounds just like a slowed down version of pride. I don't know what you guys are listening to, listen more closely and compare.
-Main riff is nearly identical
-Only love coda in magnificent
-in the name of love in pride
-sung nearly identical.
-only main difference is the fact that Magnificent is slowed down and lacks the drumming in Pride. Lyrically similar, sonically similar, etc.
Magnificent is basically a pride rewrite.

Similar chords, different structure.

Both use the word "love".

Lemme go ahead and get my rewrites out of the way while I'm at it.
Magnificent is a Pride rewrite
Fire is a Saturday Night rewrite
Vertigo is a Stories for Boy rewrite
Volcano is a Glastonbury rewrite
City Of Blinding Lights is a Streets rewrite
The Fly is a Lady With The Spinning Head rewrite
Stand Up Comedy is a Backstreet Boys rewrite
U2 wrote Miami

What I love the most about this song is that it stands on its own within U2's catalog. There is no other song of theirs that sounds like this one. The intro leading into the chorus is phenomenal. Edge's guitar work on this song takes the cake!

It really is a unique one. Not ready to rank it as high as Top 10 or Top 15, but considering the competition that's not an insult.

It's definitely one of the 5 best things they've done this millennium.

After the recent comment from the band about this originally being the first song on the album, has anyone tried a new playlist with that spot?

It's weird to me to start the album with the band's political awakening before something more personal. I think they made the right choice.

Well opening with it might have been less awkward than putting in between SLABT and Troubles. I think they could have easily dropped the intro and start the song with that guitar that starts at about 00:40 into the song.

Top 5 U2 material ? No.

It does. What I love the most about this song is that it stands on its own within U2's catalog. There is no other song of theirs that sounds like this one. The intro leading into the chorus is phenomenal. Edge's guitar work on this song takes the cake!

I'm with you in that it's an amazing song.. but it reminds me of the band that wrote Hearts Beat as One

For me the song still lacks something to relate to lyrically.
If only I had been a soldier, soldier.

Back
Top Bottom