This is the best U2 album since......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So ... About those bonus tracks.

Are they going to be "album only"? As in, I'll have to rebuy the album to get them?

Sent from

My understanding is you will have to rebut the album anyway. I thought it was free until Oct 13, meaning it disappears then, and if you want it, you then have to buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Having given it a day and a half, I'll go with 'Pop' if it doesn't hold up that well over time, and 'Zooropa' if it does. Right now I'm expecting that it will.

Would love to go AB, but 'Stay', 'Lemon', and 'The Wanderer' won't let me.

So ... About those bonus tracks.

Are they going to be "album only"? As in, I'll have to rebuy the album to get them?

Well, how you you "rebuy" something you didn't have to buy in the first place? :)

The bonus tracks are going to be available only on the CD & vinyl. No doubt as an incentive get people to pick up the physical release. To make matters worse, they way I read the release at U2.com, the vinyl and CD will have different bonus material.

My understanding is you will have to rebut the album anyway. I thought it was free until Oct 13, meaning it disappears then, and if you want it, you then have to buy it?

It only "disappears" as a free album to download and/or stream from iTunes. If you've already downloaded it, it's yours to keep. After October 13, if you haven't downloaded it, you'll need to pay for it to download, or buy a physical copy.

"Achtung Baby" certainly...
Didn 't know what to think of it directly, even after a 3th listen,
I have the same 'confussion' between of disorientation and comfortness...
although I can 't stop listenig to it...:hmm:

Having given it a day and a half, I'll go with 'Pop' if it doesn't hold up that well over time, and 'Zooropa' if it does. Right now I'm expecting that it will.

Would love to go AB, but 'Stay', 'Lemon', and 'The Wanderer' won't let me.

I'm prepared to make a leap, too. Since I was born in 1992, and wasn't alive to fully appreciate the sweet, subtle goodness that was the album 'Pop', I'll say 'Zooropa'. Wild times.

EDIT: This ranking is only for proper LP releases.

1st Album review:

The Miracle - This is growing on me. The melody definitely has radio potential. It almost reminds me of a One Republic song without it being too cheesy. The main melody reminds me of Mirrors from JT in it's accessability. It has that quality that can make it ubiquitous on radio. The whoahs are like old U2 mixed with Danger Mouse. The part that's making me love the song is Edge's guitar. It reminds me of The Ramones more than the rest of the song. I like the motif of Bono's like he's stealing from The Ramones and still needs to give back to them in some way. The guilt of getting things not deserved continues with this song since Gone it except it's more about musical theft.

Every breaking wave - This song improved in the lyrical department and now feels less like about his Dad and could be any relationship where distraction predominates. The hook is perfect. This is almost like a classic Police song, or a The Strokes single. It's early but it feels like a classic to me.

California (there's no end to love) - I loved this song at the beginning and I still do. The theme of night time and sunrise and the flip-flip of emotions. If there's grief there's happiness as well. The hook is great. The electronic part just before solo has a little of the Animal Collective quality and brings back the Santa bababarbara to mind. The solo sounds like a modern indie band.

Song for someone - This does have the Crazy tonight solo in it but I do like it more because the hook is a little better. This is the closest on this album to adult-contemporary. The lyrics go into dark vs. light again. I love the lyrics at the end of the album. You can sense the missing things in Bono and he's starting to get what he needs. It's like a superhero origin story. :giggle:

Iris (Hold me Close) - There's more light versus dark motif here (are we seeing a theme?). Some of the song veers in Coldplay territory but much better. The emotion is in the hook and I love his voice here. Some of his voice goes into Adele territory in an addictive way. The end is a heartbreaker in the vein of Kite and finally explains the effect she had in her short life on Paul Hewson. The bite at the end is Paul's worry that he was somehow responsible for her death. This is rocketing up for me. Tears come up for this one.

Volcano - This is the one that seems the most like Broken Bells. The theme here is similar to Crazy Tonight but sounds much more catchy. The angst of his life gets put into Rock 'n Rock Roll. Some themes of Mofo in filling the void with Rock 'n Roll.

Raised by wolves - This is still my favourite. This is the closest to angry Bono in a while. It's as angry as Like a song. The feeling of losing innocence and belief is strong. This is such a current in U2 to remind people what the faith is supposed to be about instead of what it's twisted into. The vocal is a nice surprise. The piano brings you back to the time of the first 3 records.

Cedarwood Road - As spelled out in the booklet this song explains Guggi's friendship how it gave him a new sense of faith and how to deal with the fear surrounding the neighborhood. This reminds me of the style you see in The Doves first record and Oasis guitar riffs. The final lines is Bono's epiphany that pain needs to be accepted to move forward in life.

Sleep like a baby tonight - This one is a mysterious song but appears to be at minimum a disconnected religious leader full of hypocrisy that is ignoring the damage in the world. It sounds like something that Arcade Fire could do but could easily fit on Pop. The guitar solo sounds like the alcoholic priest vomiting up alcohol in a waste life. :lol:

This is where you can reach me now - The second song about an iconic punk rock artist. The music is so funky. There's more themes of stealing from the thieves in music. The melody is so good. Just when it could be boring the tone changes in the right way. The theme of leaving behind the symbolic "Dad" that doesn't want to go for ambition and sit on the sidelines which Bono refuses to do. I love the guitar in this, especially at the end. It's a mixture of a whole bunch of styles especially Nile Rodgers. This could have come out in 1983.

The Troubles - The theme here is brainwashing and not seeing it. "To know your own tricks is the hardest thing you'll ever do" is so true in many contexts. I haven't cracked all the lyrics yet..."I have a will for survival so you can hurt me some more". It might fit into the theme of acceptance of pain as a way to move forward, and "God knows it's not easy taking on the shape of someone else's pain" is a way towards empathy. It's epic and will be played again and again live. It feels like a masterpiece. I really want that guitar solo to continue on live and be a final song on the setlist. The song feels like it could be 10 minutes long and pass by easily. I'm sure some interviews will bring to light the albums themes further.

This is really fleshing out for me and is one of the best albums of the year by far.

Pop.

Also love the 80s overtones throughout.

It will take a lot of time to know where I will place SoI on my all-time album rankings so it's not there for now...although if forced I'd probably put it alongside ATYCLB -- which happens to be my answer to this thread's question.

1. Joshua Tree
2. War
3. Boy
4. Achtung Baby
5. Unforgettable Fire
6. Rattle & Hum
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. October
9. Pop
10. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. Zooropa
12. No Line on the Horizon

earlier in the day I thought it was the best since OST 1, but it might be the best since Pop...or maybe even Zooropa!

AB and Zooropa. I love Pop but this fits in with their earliest work, even Bono's vocals are far more intense.

I am not surprised such depth arises in the present moment, it hits me as the band having naturally responded to an ongoing tendency in our culture to avoid "going there," it's all about appearances and immediate self-satisfaction at the cost of depth. I've never identified so much with U2, what they are doing with this album is counter culture and that takes guts and soul.

I may be "riding the wave of new release hype" as RoKKeR says elsewhere but SoI is rising in my estimation. Last week I said best since ATYCLB. Now am thinking get rid of those middle letters and say best since AB...

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

I just hope the comparisons with The Rolling Stones can now f**k right off.

Pop, possibly even AB. I'm sure I'll change my mind once the novelty wears off a bit, but it is definitely better than ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH (although I still like NLOTH).

That demo that had "Trevor" on it.

Seriously, though, I'll go with Pop. This album sounds almost like the 2000s didn't happen and the band just continued on their 90s trajectory.

Sent from my XT1058 using U2 Interference mobile app

Well I definitely like it better than HDTAAB and ATYCLB, but I haven't decided if i like it more than NLOTH yet... (at least it has a shorter acronym x_x) I think as an album it's more consistent, but I'm not sure if the best songs on SOI match up to the best on NLOTH.

Back
Top Bottom