This is the best U2 album since......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Except, of course, I never said that.

Not explicitly - I was referring to the analogy (guy in the office never excelled) - I think songs on this album absolutely excel, they just won't appeal to people who like flashy things.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Interestingly, I have been listening about 12 times in a row now, and then I immediately played Invisible, thinking it may change my mind about the song and see more about it to like. And it just doesn't fit with this collection of songs. Glad it's not on here.

I had the reverse experience. I put "Invisible" as the second track and felt it flowed brilliantly with the album.

But you are right, SoI does not need to have this song.

Well, something like Bomb can be consistently bad (not saying that's the case with this record).

Or something can be consistently mediocre. NLOTH was not "consistent" but still managed to produce several U2 classics (IMO).

Once again, I'm not passing judgement on the quality of this record. Just commenting on the commentary.

Well, something like Bomb can be consistently bad (not saying that's the case with this record).

Or something can be constantly mediocre. NLOTH was not "consistent" but still managed to produce several U2 classics (IMO).

Once again, I'm not passing judgement on the quality of this record. Just commenting on the commentary.

Yeah, and I don't disagree with you, just saying that my reading of the commentary is that people don't see the song that will rival One Direction in the charts, not that they don't see the song that excels, or is of great quality.

Since POP, for me.
Tied with ATYCLB. It's a very cohesive album. Very strong.

The thing is: between one album with 3 amazing songs, and 7 bad/mediocre songs, and other with 1 amazing song, and 10 very good ones, maybe the last one won't have a chance with the media, because won't stay relevant enough to because a classic with time?

It seems this is the best Interference reaction to an album since ATYCLB (when the site first came up and I starting reading the forums).

It seems this is the best Interference reaction to an album since ATYCLB (when the site first came up and I starting reading the forums).

Very accurate. Even most of the Shuttlecock super friends like it which is saying a lot.

Not explicitly - I was referring to the analogy (guy in the office never excelled) - I think songs on this album absolutely excel, they just won't appeal to people who like flashy things.

Well, in the end, we agree on something.

This is not an easy album... to me its even a departure for the band.
When I listen to it, I don't hear U2. And maybe that was exactly the point. Why the world needs another U2 record?
The concept is brilliant. They dismantled themselves. And rearranged in different way. Now the execution worked? Only time will.

Well, in the end, we agree on something.

This is not an easy album... to me its even a departure for the band.
When I listen to it, I don't hear U2. And maybe that was exactly the point. Why the world needs another U2 record?
The concept is brilliant. They dismantled themselves. And rearranged in different way. Now the execution worked? Only time will.

Totally agree - first listen and I forgot it was U2 - I just got into the songs

With this Apple tie up, the hype, the free music, all this big campaign to do something earthshaking and competitive with the mainstream makes us forget how much they, as artists, challenged themselves making this album. How many of us have this kind of energy, or guts, or whatever it is called? Very few indeed. People may dislike their songs, but cant deny how bold they are.

I respect them for that.

So what your saying is the best thing about the new U2 record is that it consistently doesn't sound like U2? ;)

Haha! Stop it Fisher.

No, I mean I think they succeeded in allowing listeners to forget their baggage and enjoy the songs. Once the illusion breaks, it is well and truly U2, but I see what a lot of people said after previews - it is U2, but not as you know them

Haha! Stop it Fisher.

No, I mean I think they succeeded in allowing listeners to forget their baggage and enjoy the songs. Once the illusion breaks, it is well and truly U2, but I see what a lot of people said after previews - it is U2, but not as you know them

I know what you meant. :) Just taking the piss.

And don't call me Fisher.

Cheers,

Jick

Not trying to get caught up in my own excitement, but my heart is telling me it's their best since ATYCLB. It definitely feels like a landmark album, but I'm not sure how the general public will receive it. It's hard to tell with the junk people think is good and catchy.

Bonus Tracks?

Anyone know when / how these will be released?

Sidenote: Raised by Wolves a definite standout at the moment.

Second Sidenote: Best since Pop is an early impression and in agreement with others it seems...

October 13th (or 14th? mid October) will be the physical release, with some bonus tracks and acoustic versions of the songs.

I'm thinking the best since NLOTH, which I really liked. I'm not sure if I like NLOTH or SOI better. Overall, SOI ranks somewhere in the middle of the pack for me among U2's albums.

ATYCLB gets pretty unbearable after Kite. I have never been a fan of IALW. I think New York is quirky. POE and Grace I'm embarrassed to listen to.

Walk On needs to be retired from the live rotation too.

So ... About those bonus tracks.

Are they going to be "album only"? As in, I'll have to rebuy the album to get them?

Sent from

Back
Top Bottom