They're working on new songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BANZAI

War Child
This was in a Rolling Stone interview with The Edge:

"The guitarist [The Edge] also confirms that U2 are in the midst of recording a new album. “We’re working on new songs and getting lost in the music,” he says. “I don’t think we’re going to try and think too much about what we’re going to do with it yet, we’re just going to do a lot of writing and just see what gives. We’re giving ourselves the luxury of just working on the songs. There’s some amazing things coming through.” He calls the material the group’s been working on with producer Rick Rubin “fascinating stuff.” When asked whether the band will team up again with longtime collaborators Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, he merely laughs: “You might be surprised how quickly that happens.”

:drool:

:hmm: Good to hear they're working on the songs, it's been too quiet since Hawaii on the band front.

I wonder if that last line about Eno and Lanois is supposed to mean they're already considering them?

BANZAI said:
There’s some amazing things coming through.” He calls the material the group’s been working on with producer Rick Rubin “fascinating stuff.”

This is nothing new. Sounds like more BS but this time from Edgie for a change. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Unfortunately now we can't even rely on Edge for good quotes anymore. I won't deny it's good to hear they are working on songs, but it's the standard "We don't know what direction, but there's some great stuff".

Next we'll have Bono come out and say Edge is on fire and Larry is playing with a reckless abandon.

I don't mean to bitch, but when you wait as long as we do, it'd be nice for just a little more detail when the music is discussed.

I would even go for "We're going a completely different direction".

I prefer them saying "we don't know what direction" than using the same old "our best album so far" or megalomaniac stuff like this -

Guitarist the Edge says he's looking forward to experimenting with new guitar sounds in the studio. "My guitar playing has been fairly minimalist over the years; I like to try and make as few notes as I can get away with," he explains, adding that now he wants to "create as big an effect as I can, to really explore what guitar could be, and really push the boundaries of what guitar in a rock 'n' roll band can sound like." from 2004

or Bono saying U2's job is to push rock and roll into the 21st century when they were recording Pop.

It's just quotes, we all have our own minds to decide. I would like to hear him say if they're going into a new direction or if it will sound like the last two albums. We got the "we don't know the direction, we're having fun" quotes in the Fall when they started working with Rubin already.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
or Bono saying U2's job is to push rock and roll into the 21st century when they were recording Pop.

How ironic that Bono would say that and then when the 21st century finally rolled around, U2 went back to their traditional U2 sound.

Joey788 said:

How ironic that Bono would say that and then when the 21st century finally rolled around, U2 went back to their traditional U2 sound.

Even more ironic what they were doing at the time of the quote was mimicking what was happening with music around them, and certainly not taking rock and roll anywhere.

I am enthused that they are NOT writing in the studio. I think any weakness in the U2 catalog is the result of uncooked ideas.

And Eno/Lanois are real enablers along this front. Those two can only do so much to obfuscate weak material. I think U2's m.o. of jamming stuff out has probably taken them as far as they can go. Do you fucking job and write some songs.

If they use Rubin's method and have a set of strong songs ready to go before entering the studio, I am optimistic about the prospects.

But Edge's soundbites are crap.

U2girl said:

Even more ironic what they were doing at the time of the quote was mimicking what was happening with music around them, and certainly not taking rock and roll anywhere.

:yes:

I really wasn't intending for the humor, but I guess it is funny when you know what they're going to say....

I'm just very happy to see they've announced they're working on a new album. Hopefully it won't take 2 more years from this day. Here's hoping they can have something to record by June/July.

I hope they can keep Bono in the studio or wherever they are working on songs. I'd like to see him with the band full time this album, and not running around the world.

:( I was expecting this thread to be busier. :madwife:

Anyway, I'm pumped to hear that they're back at work! :drool:

More beachlegs by summer! :hyper:

Thanksandy said:

They are worried about being the biggest band in the world and therefore do not take the risks like they used to, so there is a lack of experimentation with new sounds or musical styles . . .

I really hope U2 can prove this guy wrong, but in my heart I wonder if he's actually spot on.

I hope they can put sales and charts and "new" fans and "U2, Inc.", aside and just make an album that will push them into new territory and let them progress as a band.

I also know, no matter what album they make, there will be people on here who love it and people on here that loathe it. I guess that's just the nature of a fanatic.

I'm wishing you the best Larry, Edge, Bono and Adam. I hope you can pull out a great one! :pray:

Anyone else noticed what was pointed out in the U2 News article on this? It really seems like they'll write the songs first, and only make the album later, like Rubin said - as opposed to the usual "let's just jam and see what happens" method.

:hmm:

U2girl said:
Anyone else noticed what was pointed out in the U2 News article on this? It really seems like they'll write the songs first, and only make the album later, like Rubin said - as opposed to the usual "let's just jam and see what happens" method.

:hmm:

I don't know if I'm really fond of that idea. Looking at the Salome Outtakes, it's clear that they often get pieces of two, three or more songs out of the jams & progress on one or two ideas. I guess you can expect that the same may happen by writing first and recording later, but for some reason it seems more limited to me---like you push new ideas aside, good or bad, until you've finished the route you're currently taking. :shrug: I dunno.

Actually, what does "write first, record later" tag really even mean? Are they not recording & documenting their practice & brainstorm sessions, or are they but it's just that they're not laying treatments & effects on the recorded but unfinished material? If they're not even recording their practice & brainstorming sessions, that seems like such a waste to me.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
tell me when they lose a CD

:lol: Probably the best sign that something is near!

I guess it means they will jam/write first, and after they got the song in shape they want, make the album quicker (or, as has been said by Adam on ATYCLB, that unlike previous albums where they had no idea what they will make when they entered the studio, Edge did his homework and brought chord structures in the studio).

ahittle said:
I am enthused that they are NOT writing in the studio. I think any weakness in the U2 catalog is the result of uncooked ideas.

They almost always start writing outside the studio though. That is nothing new. They come up with basic ideas outside the studio and on the road. Then they work on those ideas in the studio.

Utoo said:

I don't know if I'm really fond of that idea. Looking at the Salome Outtakes, it's clear that they often get pieces of two, three or more songs out of the jams & progress on one or two ideas. I guess you can expect that the same may happen by writing first and recording later, but for some reason it seems more limited to me---like you push new ideas aside, good or bad, until you've finished the route you're currently taking. :shrug: I dunno.

:no:

I'm all for anything new. However they want to shake it up and approach this album a different way is fine by me. Anything that will get them to move in a new direction and take some risks is fine by me. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom