The Video Game Thread PEW PEW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, we need to do those coop missions sometime soon. Can't believe we haven't done them yet.

It might be time to purchase Alan Wake or Heavy Rain or FF XIII.

My younger brother in law was staying with us recently and brought down his Xbox so we rented Alan Wake - it was pretty good, not as good as some of the older Silent Hill games but still decently freaky here and there.

I'm in the midst of playing Heavy Rain, I've only just started but it seems pretty good so far - very differnt in terms of game play though. Definately not your standard adventure game.

I was so very, very disapointed with FF XIII. I have made it my mission in life to try and convince myself that it never happened.

I never finished Alan Wake (it was pretty fun, though) but I'll defend Heavy Rain, complete with its psuedo-American accents and mystery cliche-filled story to the ends of the earth. The last few hours of it are the most fun I've had with a game this year.

Can't wait for Mafia II and New Vegas. And Dead Space 2. So much.

is Heavy Rain that 'intelligent' game, where the choices you make affect the gameplay and can't be redone?

if i had an xbox i'd definitely get that.

Yeah. For instance, you can get a character killed, but rather than get a GAME OVER YEAHHHH screen, the story will just continue without them. It's pretty cool and shows potential for future similar games. It's only on PS3, though.

I give Heavy Rain props for being unique, but I personally disliked the game play, and thought the story couldn't have been a bigger mess. Good ideas, they were just flawed in execution in pretty much every way for my personal tastes.

Alan Wake on the other hand was absolutely phenomenal. Easily one of my favorite games this year.

I give Heavy Rain props for being unique, but I personally disliked the game play, and thought the story couldn't have been a bigger mess. Good ideas, they were just flawed in execution in pretty much every way for my personal tastes.

Alan Wake on the other hand was absolutely phenomenal. Easily one of my favorite games this year.

In any case, I think it's safe to say that Deadly Premonition beats both of them.

YouTube - ‪FK In The Coffee‬‎

Alan Wake is sort of Silent Hill but a lot less fucked up, it had some good scares but not nearly as much of the creeped out-what the fuck is going on'ness that Silent Hill has...

I finished Heavy Rain and really enjoyed it - I agree with Scumbo's assesment of the plot though - there were several holes that kind of took me out of the story. I will say that HR wins for some of the most uncomfortable "scenes" I have witnessed in a video game so far.

Elfa, you're definitely right that is not as scary, but the developers did try to go out of their way letting people know it advance that it's an action game set in a supernatural thriller plot, not a survival horror game. Probably far more similar to something like the recent Resident Evils or Dead Space than the old school survival horror games. Beav, if you're a fan of Twin Peaks, X-Files, or Fringe, you'll probably get a kick out of how the story is presented and handled. It really feels like a '90's "supernatural TV" type of story, which is what they were shooting for. The atmosphere in the game is some of the best there is.

Elfa, did you enjoy stripping for the guy in the bar? :wink: Despite my negative comments, I did actually like Heavy Rain's uniqueness and was quite hooked to find out what was going to happen. Unfortunately what happened ended up making a lot of previous plot points seem almost ridiculous. I bet the gameplay will be a lot more fun with Move.

Fuckin' Move, I still wish they were making Heavy Rain DLCs to plug up the major plot holes instead. Out of curiosity Elfa, which ending did you get?

Scumbo, I'll get around to finishing Alan Wake sometime. For you.

I'm going to use spoilers for this...

Scumbo:
I actually managed to take out that dude with only removing one piece of clothing... I was actually referring to the "sex scene"... AKWARD

Sad Punk:
I finished it without completing the last two trials, cus I'm not down with killing people or myself. I also managed not to get anybody killed and rescue my son...

Whoa. I'm not hugely into Bioshock but that looks like it could be amazing. I like the feel of "Columbia" more than Rapture already.

Scumbo:

If you forgive Madison after you find out she's a journo, you get a really, really uncomfortable looking make out scene.

Elfa:

I was too pussy to shoot the guy too. I guess you got all the characters to the warehouse, then? Nahman saved the day single-handedly in mine.

I just got a new i7 laptop. Haven't gamed for awhile, what's the first one I should check out?

Awesome, and by the same developers as the first game as well. Still need to play through #2.

Scumbo:

If you forgive Madison after you find out she's a journo, you get a really, really uncomfortable looking make out scene.

Ah, I remember now....though I sorta wish I didn't.

I found it to be rather well paced and satisfying

Thirded.

I just got a new i7 laptop. Haven't gamed for awhile, what's the first one I should check out?

Starcraft 2 will likely end up being PC game of the year. If you're into strategy games at all, it seems to be as good as it gets.

Note to self:

Horde skills, no matter how finely tuned, do not necessarily translate into Warzone skills.

I thought it was going to be horrible, but I never thought it would be THAT horrible.

Imps, we need to play soon. We were in the middle of wave 10 when you came in, hence the delayed responses.

I've played a lot of Warzone and Execution and whatnot in the past, and we'd usually hold our own. Never experienced anything quite like that. I do want to set it up where we play against each other, though. If Imps joins the 5 of us, we have a decent 3 vs 3 scenario.

What game are you talking about?

I finished Limbo. loved it. Some of the puzzles were a bit out there, I think, but what an incredible little game.

Gears of War 2.

Yeah, there were a couple puzzles / areas that were a little annoying. Glad you liked it as well. :up:

Mass Effect 2 was just confirmed as being released on PS3 early next year (planning on January at this point). If you only have a PS3 and have never played a Mass Effect game, you should buy it. Sucks that you'll never get the first game though (Microsoft paid a lot of the publishing rights for it), so you can't do the character carry over thing.

I am finally getting my PS3. I'm getting a used one off of eBay (dem's the breaks), so is there anything I should watch out for that would be an obvious red flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom