The Temple Bar - Autotune = Cheating = MUYMFA!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing - the tiny bit of nu-country I've listened to (I manage to avoid much of it, thank god) is very, very similar to a lot of 70's and 80's rock. I think fans of rock from that era have largely moved on to country now - country has adapted for them.

Listen to Nickelback. They should be played on country radio. Seriously, listen to them and then listen to a nu-country song. Not much difference. Chad just needs to twang a bit more.

Lila, I love you and your cookies for all occasions. :love:

My only question is, when should I expect these cookies to arrive? :hyper:

You haven't gotten them yet? :hmm:

Check your mailbox!
blue_gal_mailbox.jpg

as for "rock bands", Reg is right. I'll get to see one soon: Oasis :D
You can always lump Daughtry into that rock band category. Saw him open for another big rock band earlier this year, Bon Jovi. And VP is right, no more "superstars"...

I guess maybe there are a lot of people in that age group who are not necessarily big music followers, but who get nostalgic for bands like AC/DC (although it's beyond me why) and GnR?

My theory is that music has diversified so much that it's virtually impossible to become a huge band these days. That why I don't think there will ever be another band with the status of U2. Those days are gone. Now, everything's very genre-specific. I can remember, and I'm sure you can too, when it seemed like I knew and was familiar with virtually every band out there. Now, I read B&C, and sometimes it seems like I don't know three quarters of the bands listed in there! I just don't have time to keep up! Wtf is shoegaze, anyway? I have no clue.

So, what we have as a result are zillions of moderately known and little known bands, as opposed to a handful of huge, very well known bands - superstars. I think a lot of that has to do with the internet, and people having natural access to a more diversified selection of music now.

:shrug:

I had no idea 3 Doors Down were still around, they weren't really ever on my radar...

Wow, I thought I'd never disagree with you VP...and part of me doesn't want to...but it's all marketing and oversaturation that has killed the music industry.

LA Metal Scene started the downfall...look at all the crappy bands that were signed once Quiet Riot (QUIET RIOT) hit the big time....soon we had major OVER SATURATION.

Then what comes next...Grunge...Seattle....a few good bands a ton of crappy ones...much like the metal scene...but what happened in this scene was they killed the 'rock star'. They killed the Elvises, the Lennon/McCartneys, Jaggers, Page/Plants. They killed them, made them as inconsequential as the guy playing percussion (like the bells, and triangle). Fuck those guys and the crappy marketing people who carried this image into today.

Now we have the Hip-Hop guys who are the 'rock stars'...and I enjoy hip-hop, but I'm never going to relate to those guys...and to be honest neither is the majority of the record buying public. So CD sales decline and everyone is left wondering what happened to the industry. Bring back the 'Rock Stars' and I guarantee the people will come back...and buy the CD. They need something to draw them back in.

Thom Yorke...Chris Martin...:lol:...posers, great musicians who write some very good to great music...but mega-sellers...:no:...superstars...:lmao:

The market is out there for the next 'super rock star' but no one seems to see it...:shrug:

as for "rock bands", Reg is right. I'll get to see one soon: Oasis :D
You can always lump Daughtry into that rock band category. Saw him open for another big rock band earlier this year, Bon Jovi. And VP is right, no more "superstars"...

I've never heard much of Daughtry, but I assume that band (or is it a solo performer?) fits into my country theory. Bon Jovi is all but a country band these days. Def Leppard recorded a song with that country dude on their latest album.

Wow, I thought I'd never disagree with you VP...and part of me doesn't want to...but it's all marketing and oversaturation that has killed the music industry.

LA Metal Scene started the downfall...look at all the crappy bands that were signed once Quiet Riot (QUIET RIOT) hit the big time....soon we had major OVER SATURATION.

Then what comes next...Grunge...Seattle....a few good bands a ton of crappy ones...much like the metal scene...but what happened in this scene was they killed the 'rock star'. They killed the Elvises, the Lennon/McCartneys, Jaggers, Page/Plants. They killed them, made them as inconsequential as the guy playing percussion (like the bells, and triangle). Fuck those guys and the crappy marketing people who carried this image into today.

Now we have the Hip-Hop guys who are the 'rock stars'...and I enjoy hip-hop, but I'm never going to relate to those guys...and to be honest neither is the majority of the record buying public. So CD sales decline and everyone is left wondering what happened to the industry. Bring back the 'Rock Stars' and I guarantee the people will come back...and buy the CD. They need something to draw them back in.

Thom Yorke...Chris Martin...:lol:...posers, great musicians who write some very good to great music...but mega-sellers...:no:...superstars...:lmao:

The market is out there for the next 'super rock star' but no one seems to see it...:shrug:

I agree with a lot of that too, and certainly think it's a factor. Every time a band comes out with a slightly new sound, they're the next big thang, and so they rush to put out 20 more bands with the same sound, and it all gets watered down till they all sound like shit, and there's no telling them apart.

Also, it seems that now, bands or performers never have to "pay their dues" like they used to in the old days. One okay album, and BAM! they're at the top. That bugs me.

I've never heard much of Daughtry, but I assume that band (or is it a solo performer?) fits into my country theory. Bon Jovi is all but a country band these days. Def Leppard recorded a song with that country dude on their latest album.

Daughtry - aka American Idol non-winner winner. He's had several singles from his CD, and has been very successful. Songs like: HomeYouTube - Daughtry - Home, Over You, Feels Like Tonight, What About Now (YouTube - Daughtry - What About Now...

Yeah, Bon Jovi did do a song with Big & Rich. But hey, I liked it. :shrug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIOsX4Qs3XI

Yeah, Bon Jovi did do a song with Big & Rich. But hey, I liked it. :shrug:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, if that's what you're into. It's just not my thing. But it seems like going country is what those old bands have to do these days to hold onto their fan base. Otherwise, there's no market at all for them.

I was never one to care about rockin' out. Sure, I enjoyed old school Guns N' Roses and Metallica, for example, but I listened to music for two things: the lyrics and the melody, something I couldn't find in excess in 80s "hair metal".

Prior to my U2 fandom, I was a big Aerosmith fan (yes, I loved their 70s and 80s output more than the 90s). Then I became a huge U2 fan after Pop came out—I listened to them almost exclusively at times. They were my first concert in 1997. I bought their entire back catalogue and rarely ventured to other genres because I didn't need to.

In the late 90s when What's The Story (Morning Glory)? was released, I got into Oasis big time, but was still an uber-obsessed U2 fan. Then in 2000, the tide started turning away from U2 ever-so-slightly. That's when Radiohead's Kid A came out. I bought it and listened to it on a bus trip to New York City. There was just something about listening to the opening notes of Everything In Its Right Place while staring out at a pitch-black highway.

My U2-fandom started to really wane in the past couple of years when I got my first laptop. I began downloading music at a dizzying pace. What I found was that there was plenty of good music out there if you're willing to look for it, and some of it does rock out, but, in my opinion, it's all just good, quality music. Bands like The National, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, Bloc Party, Kasabian, Band of Horses, Stars, Interpol—all are good bands who produce good music.

So I gues what I'm trying to say is that there's plenty of gems out there if you're willing to look for it.

Daughtry is a perfect example of 'milking the product'...Daughtry is riding his American Idol fame...and he's a fairly legit (albeit 'soft') rock sell. He puts out a very good album. Pop tinged, with some great vocals and some pretty good songs. But he falls into the same 'I am here, and you could be too' category. Market the man as a Rock God in Training!!! He's got everything on his side. Put him on the road and the put him back into the studio and pump out another solid album to 'establish' his durability.

But NOOOOOO, what do they do...they RERELEASE his album!!! WTF?!?!?!? I already have the album...I liked it the first time, I want something new. This guy is hot, this guy has some talent, he's charasmatic, people want to hear his story. Why are we rehashing the same stuff?!?!?!

The Music Industry is in the tank because of dumb ass marketing ideas like this. Take your star and market him...he doesn't have to be a bad ass, he just needs to bleed a little rock n' roll. Daughtry does, but you'd never know.

Gawd, I'm all riled up and anxious talking about this shit...:crazy:

So I gues what I'm trying to say is that there's plenty of gems out there if you're willing to look for it.

i think that's the key thing now. It's there, but there's so much crap out there too, that it takes time and effort to find it, and casual music fans are much less inclined to spend the time and make the effort that they either listen to crap that's more easily accessible, or they fall back onto listening to oldies. And it's really not hardcore fans that make a band uber-popular, it's the casual fans that put them over the top.

One other thing—the fragmentation of the market, plus a shift towards illegal downloading, will mean that the days of bands that sell millions of CDs are over, in the same way that the days of television shows garnering audiences that M*A*S*H did are over.

In that sense, the era of the supergroup like U2, is done.

What I found was that there was plenty of good music out there if you're willing to look for it, and some of it does rock out, but, in my opinion, it's all just good, quality music. Bands like The National, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, Bloc Party, Kasabian, Band of Horses, Stars, Interpol—all are good bands who produce good music.

Why should I 'have to look for them'...why can't the good music rise to the top?!?!?

Why can't the industry market them properly...this is my whole point!!!

They put all their eggs in the wrong basket...and then whine whenever their 'band' doesn't sell, or drop them when the next album tanks...

:doh:

Thanks for so brilliantly (and indavertantly) making my point for me BoMac...:hi5:

One other thing—the fragmentation of the market, plus a shift towards illegal downloading, will mean that the days of bands that sell millions of CDs are over, in the same way that the days of television shows garnering audiences that M*A*S*H did are over.

In that sense, the era of the supergroup like U2, is done.

Not true...not at all...see my other posts that dispute this notion...:yes:

If AC/DC can sell 2 million in two months...the market is out there...:yes:

i think that's the key thing now. It's there, but there's so much crap out there too, that it takes time and effort to find it, and casual music fans are much less inclined to spend the time and make the effort that they either listen to crap that's more easily accessible, or they fall back onto listening to oldies. And it's really not hardcore fans that make a band uber-popular, it's the casual fans that put them over the top.

QFT

Reg - you are right - they are really milking the Daughtry release when they should actually be putting out a new record. I hate when the record companies re-release the same shit, sometimes months or years afterwards, with bonus tracks or dvd material etc. So if I had it the first time (in this case, no), I'm supposed to be a sucker and buy it again? NOT.
So is this why my business is doing so poorly? I do have a niche though. But if Pantera & Metallica are your ideas of heavy metal.... :wink: I've got the underground covered :D

Why should I 'have to look for them'...why can't the good music rise to the top?!?!?

Why can't the industry market them properly...this is my whole point!!!

They put all their eggs in the wrong basket...and then whine whenever their 'band' doesn't sell, or drop them when the next album tanks...

:doh:

Thanks for so brilliantly (and indavertantly) making my point for me BoMac...:hi5:

I blame a lot of that on the state of radio. Back in the day, in most cases, your first exposure to a band was either radio or MTV (Much Music, here in Canada). I think our radio is affected to a much lesser extent than it sounds like yours is, we do get some good music on some stations still, but since it's your country that sort of drives the whole industry, it's turned out to have a really bad effect on it.

2 million compared to what? They would have sold 3 times that in the 80s. The days of bands selling millions upon millions of albums, and the celebrity that comes with it, in my opinion, are over.

But for them, I think they sell mainly due to nostalgia these days. Old fans who are probably casual music consumers in general, who probably don't buy a lot of music these days, till something like a new AC/DC release comes out.

The rock station down here - 95.5 KLOS plays crap. They NEVER play anything new. If you want to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd, B.O.C., Pink Floyd, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller, AC/DC, George Thorogood, Jimi Hendrix, Doobie Bros., The Eagles, ZZ Top, The Who, The Doors, Santana, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Cream, Tom Petty, U2... you catch my drift. It's the same thing over & over & over. :|

I remember a few years ago when Audioslave's debut album was released. I was hearing Like A Stone on occasion on the station. Kinda liked it. My friends recommended it highly, and I bought it & loved it. So when they released their 2nd and 3rd CDs, did the station ever play anything from either of those later releases? No. I once called and talked to phone boy, and he said he didn't even think they had a copy. WTF? They have one DJ who has the evening shift, and he basically plays anything in the world he wants. Those were the only times the station was really bearable. But I'm not near a radio at night to listen, so :shrug:

The rock station down here - 95.5 KLOS plays crap. They NEVER play anything new. If you want to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd, B.O.C., Pink Floyd, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller, AC/DC, George Thorogood, Jimi Hendrix, Doobie Bros., The Eagles, ZZ Top, The Who, The Doors, Santana, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Cream, Tom Petty, U2... you catch my drift. It's the same thing over & over & over. :|

I remember a few years ago when Audioslave's debut album was released. I was hearing Like A Stone on occasion on the station. Kinda liked it. My friends recommended it highly, and I bought it & loved it. So when they released their 2nd and 3rd CDs, did the station ever play anything from either of those later releases? No. I once called and talked to phone boy, and he said he didn't even think they had a copy. WTF? They have one DJ who has the evening shift, and he basically plays anything in the world he wants. Those were the only times the station was really bearable. But I'm not near a radio at night to listen, so :shrug:

Yeah, I think there's like one good station in the toronto area that plays new music that I like (used to be two, but one of them has moved more toward classic rock lately)...but even these days out of that, the pickings are slim. It's like Reg mentioned, there are too many clone bands out there now. Oh, band X has a hit?? Better get on that, and put out 10 similar bands! Blech.

(Lila, remember the DI from the summer? And how my list was mostly all late 70's? This putting out similar bands was going on back then too, it's not a new thing. New wave got horribly watered down in the 80s, till it barely even resembled what it started out imitating, and I hated most of it.)

Hi Amy...:sexywink:

PJ...whatever, bands come and go...I'm just taking PJ as sort of what's happened to 'rock' music in the past 20 years. I mean when AC/DC and Guns N' Roses are slated to be the biggest 'rock' sellers of the year, that pretty much tells you the state of 'rock' music.

Radiohead...Coldplay...3 Doors Down...these bands have all been around since the late 90's early 2000's and they're about the only bands with staying power...and they barely sell platinum. I mean the biggest "Rock" band out there, in terms of market power since the mid-90's is Nickelback!!! NICKELBACK!!!!

Someone hand me Cobain's shotgun....I mean I'm sure I'm missing a 'major rock' band, but to be honest I can't think of one...please educate me...'cos I'm clearly stuck in the past...:rolleyes:...but I'm not so sure...I think the industry sux as a whole and that starts with the bands and the image they (don't) create.

I mean who wants to hear what Thom Yorke has to say? He's introverted and not revealing in any way,shape or form. Chad Kroeger...please...I don't even know the guy from 3 Doors Down, and I would never buy a magazine with him in it.

If the big companies want to sell CDs they need to market their talent, and their talent needs to charasmatic, or at least accessible. This 'grunge' mentality of 'we're in a band, and you can be in a band, and so you're no different from us' has killed the record industry. And so now bands get one chance to make it and then BAM they're dropped and left to rot on the side of the road. U2 would never make it in today's industry. I mean it took them 3 albums to make a name and 5 to be a mega-seller.

So it isn't surprising to me that AC/DC (with ONE decent song) and G n' R (with a true Rock Star) will probably be the two biggest selling albums in today's 'rock' genre...'cos everything else out there is pile of :sick:

*end of rant*

:tsk::angry::down:

Wow, we actually had a serious discussion in here. :ohmy:

:wink:

Here's the next topic: Buddy Holly was proto-punk. He ruled the world for a few short years, was awesome beyond belief, and influenced some of modern music's biggest acts. Two in particular are The Ramones and The Clash.

Discuss.

Here's the next topic: Buddy Holly was proto-punk. He ruled the world for a few short years, was awesome beyond belief, and influenced some of modern music's biggest acts. Two in particular are The Ramones and The Clash.

Discuss.

I know! It's been very fascinating to read. :D

I have no opinion on that new subject, so I'll just go out to get my sushi lunch now. :)

Discuss.

count me out on the new subject..

I was kinda kidding. I didn't figure anyone would really want to discuss that...

There are only two people I know who are dorky enough to enter into discussions of that sort. :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom