The Temple Bar - Autotune = Cheating = MUYMFA!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'll give Chris Martin is he's sorta playing the rock star...:hmm:

Where are all the Rock Stars...:shrug:

Bono started killing them off in the late 80's and then Cobain and Vedder shot all the remaining ones in the 90's...bastards...:madwife:

sort of related subject, Reg, what did you think of In Rainbows?

Uh, I downloaded it...:shifty:

Now I have to upload it to my iPod...:doh:

I'll give you a report tomorrow...I was reading a Chuck Klosterman book which had a Thom Yorke interview from earlier in this decade which got me wondering...other than 'Creep' Radiohead had to have put out some other good stuff...right...:scratch:

Amy, Gracie-boo looks too precious :cute:

you are you.

Im am here too

but Im gonna wait for Kafrun. so kiss my arse luv.

;)

besides I might re-do the shots tonight.
:love:

spins.jpg
:lmao: Winnage.

Uh, I downloaded it...:shifty:

Now I have to upload it to my iPod...:doh:

I'll give you a report tomorrow...I was reading a Chuck Klosterman book which had a Thom Yorke interview from earlier in this decade which got me wondering...other than 'Creep' Radiohead had to have put out some other good stuff...right...:scratch:

It took me several failed attempts to get into them. They're sometimes a band that requires more than a superficial listening. What it took for me was the realization of how many of their individual songs I absolutely loved, and then that got me to thinking that if I loved those songs that much, then there must be other material in their catalogue I like. In Rainbows really is a good place to start.

Aw, Reg, if you'd come out of the 80's, you'd see there's still some good stuff out there. :hug: :cute:

Look, I know I hold onto my 'Hair Metal' and 'New Wave'...(New wave...:lmao: ) pretty closely...but I was still listen to new stuff all the time...my 14 year old demands it...Hey I'm going to a concert where I'll have to hear Katy Perry, Jesse McCartney, Boys Like Girl, and a bunch of other crap I could do without...so I know what's out there...

AND IT SUX!!!!

On that note...I hate to admit it, but I'm liking this metro-sexual song by Metro Station called 'Shake It'...I mean the rocker in me tells me it sux dead mule poop...but it's kinda stuck in my head.

But Rock music...today...it's terrible. No one is willing to step up to the plate and say..."I Rock, come Rock with me!!!"....and I have to say I miss that quite a bit. Even Vedder, in his introverted, weird way says that...but then he goes back into his cave for years and I get bored with Pearl Jam. They're kinda like The Grateful Dead or Rush...or a combination of the two. Where their shows are more important than their CDs...and there's a lot of self indulgent BS on the CD's mixed in with two good singles and 2 hidden gems...the rest is Vedder pulling back from being thrust back in the limelight...

Am I apostelysing (sp?) here...fuck me!!

Look, I know I hold onto my 'Hair Metal' and 'New Wave'...(New wave...:lmao: ) pretty closely...but I was still listen to new stuff all the time...my 14 year old demands it...Hey I'm going to a concert where I'll have to hear Katy Perry, Jesse McCartney, Boys Like Girl, and a bunch of other crap I could do without...so I know what's out there...

AND IT SUX!!!!

On that note...I hate to admit it, but I'm liking this metro-sexual song by Metro Station called 'Shake It'...I mean the rocker in me tells me it sux dead mule poop...but it's kinda stuck in my head.

But Rock music...today...it's terrible. No one is willing to step up to the plate and say..."I Rock, come Rock with me!!!"....and I have to say I miss that quite a bit. Even Vedder, in his introverted, weird way says that...but then he goes back into his cave for years and I get bored with Pearl Jam. They're kinda like The Grateful Dead or Rush...or a combination of the two. Where their shows are more important than their CDs...and there's a lot of self indulgent BS on the CD's mixed in with two good singles and 2 hidden gems...the rest is Vedder pulling back from being thrust back in the limelight...

:ohmy::shifty:

:flirt:

AND IT SUX!!!!

Yeah, I can see that. I liked Pearl Jam a lot when they first came out, I thought they were going to be something special, and I guess to a lot of people they are, but they've never managed to hold my interest over the years. Every once in a while there'll be a decent song that comes out, but nothing that makes me want to dive into their entire catalogue. I have three of their albums, Ten, Vs and Yield.

But yeah, if that's the genre that's really appealing to you, I suppose there's not much out there these days.

AND IT SUX!!!!

There is definitely a void. There's still a ton of heavy shit - but I never liked "metal". And most of the "pop" rock bands are just whiny and awful. At least the pop-rock glam shit wasn't whiny - you gotta give those guys that - they just partied, and every once in a while got into a coke binge mind set where they wanted to heal the world - THROUGH ROCK - so they'd write, "Somethine to Believe In", "Win of Change" or "Time for Change", but they'd get over that shit real quick and go back to writing awful non-whiny rock. It was awesome. But now, meh. Everyone is so PC and serious. And so goddamn stupid - it's like every interview they do is a stage test. Fuck that. Get drunk, say something stupid, act confused and then rock the fuck out - LIKE A MAN!

Hi Amy...:sexywink:

Yeah, I can see that. I liked Pearl Jam a lot when they first came out, I thought they were going to be something special, and I guess to a lot of people they are, but they've never managed to hold my interest over the years. Every once in a while there'll be a decent song that comes out, but nothing that makes me want to dive into their entire catalogue. I have three of their albums, Ten, Vs and Yield.

But yeah, if that's the genre that's really appealing to you, I suppose there's not much out there these days.

PJ...whatever, bands come and go...I'm just taking PJ as sort of what's happened to 'rock' music in the past 20 years. I mean when AC/DC and Guns N' Roses are slated to be the biggest 'rock' sellers of the year, that pretty much tells you the state of 'rock' music.

Radiohead...Coldplay...3 Doors Down...these bands have all been around since the late 90's early 2000's and they're about the only bands with staying power...and they barely sell platinum. I mean the biggest "Rock" band out there, in terms of market power since the mid-90's is Nickelback!!! NICKELBACK!!!!

Someone hand me Cobain's shotgun....I mean I'm sure I'm missing a 'major rock' band, but to be honest I can't think of one...please educate me...'cos I'm clearly stuck in the past...:rolleyes:...but I'm not so sure...I think the industry sux as a whole and that starts with the bands and the image they (don't) create.

I mean who wants to hear what Thom Yorke has to say? He's introverted and not revealing in any way,shape or form. Chad Kroeger...please...I don't even know the guy from 3 Doors Down, and I would never buy a magazine with him in it.

If the big companies want to sell CDs they need to market their talent, and their talent needs to charasmatic, or at least accessible. This 'grunge' mentality of 'we're in a band, and you can be in a band, and so you're no different from us' has killed the record industry. And so now bands get one chance to make it and then BAM they're dropped and left to rot on the side of the road. U2 would never make it in today's industry. I mean it took them 3 albums to make a name and 5 to be a mega-seller.

So it isn't surprising to me that AC/DC (with ONE decent song) and G n' R (with a true Rock Star) will probably be the two biggest selling albums in today's 'rock' genre...'cos everything else out there is pile of :sick:

*end of rant*

There is definitely a void. There's still a ton of heavy shit - but I never liked "metal". And most of the "pop" rock bands are just whiny and awful. At least the pop-rock glam shit wasn't whiny - you gotta give those guys that - they just partied, and every once in a while got into a coke binge mind set where they wanted to heal the world - THROUGH ROCK - so they'd write, "Somethine to Believe In", "Win of Change" or "Time for Change", but they'd get over that shit real quick and go back to writing awful non-whiny rock. It was awesome. But now, meh. Everyone is so PC and serious. And so goddamn stupid - it's like every interview they do is a stage test. Fuck that. Get drunk, say something stupid, act confused and then rock the fuck out - LIKE A MAN!

Pantera killed "Heavy Metal"...I mean talk about some self-loathing, 'fuck my life' bastards. I like a couple of their songs, and the musicianship is pretty spot on...but come on, please...they led the charge of all the drudgey metal, with the guy who screams everything in a low tone, which you can't understand what he's saying and if you did you want to hang yourself after the song ended.

Can someone tell me who killed off the guitar solo?!?!?! Even Cobain took a solo...:doh:...I love the Edge, but c'mon man, shred every once in a while...why all the hate for the solo...:depressed:

I need a drink...:banghead:

Part of me is excited for 'Chinese Democracy' and part of me is sad it's the most exciting thing I have to look forward to this Fall...:|

*end of (this) rant*

Pantera killed "Heavy Metal"...I mean talk about some self-loathing, 'fuck my life' bastards. I like a couple of their songs, and the musicianship is pretty spot on...but come on, please...they led the charge of all the drudgey metal, with the guy who screams everything in a low tone, which you can't understand what he's saying and if you did you want to hang yourself after the song ended.

Can someone tell me who killed off the guitar solo?!?!?! Even Cobain took a solo...:doh:...I love the Edge, but c'mon man, shred every once in a while...why all the hate for the solo...:depressed:

I need a drink...:banghead:

Part of me is excited for 'Chinese Democracy' and part of me is sad it's the most exciting thing I have to look forward to this Fall...:|

*end of (this) rant*

I never thought about Pantera that way. Maybe cause I never listened to them, really.

You know what I miss - Drum Solos. :(

Hi Amy...:sexywink:

PJ...whatever, bands come and go...I'm just taking PJ as sort of what's happened to 'rock' music in the past 20 years. I mean when AC/DC and Guns N' Roses are slated to be the biggest 'rock' sellers of the year, that pretty much tells you the state of 'rock' music.

Radiohead...Coldplay...3 Doors Down...these bands have all been around since the late 90's early 2000's and they're about the only bands with staying power...and they barely sell platinum. I mean the biggest "Rock" band out there, in terms of market power since the mid-90's is Nickelback!!! NICKELBACK!!!!

Someone hand me Cobain's shotgun....I mean I'm sure I'm missing a 'major rock' band, but to be honest I can't think of one...please educate me...'cos I'm clearly stuck in the past...:rolleyes:...but I'm not so sure...I think the industry sux as a whole and that starts with the bands and the image they (don't) create.

I mean who wants to hear what Thom Yorke has to say? He's introverted and not revealing in any way,shape or form. Chad Kroeger...please...I don't even know the guy from 3 Doors Down, and I would never buy a magazine with him in it.

If the big companies want to sell CDs they need to market their talent, and their talent needs to charasmatic, or at least accessible. This 'grunge' mentality of 'we're in a band, and you can be in a band, and so you're no different from us' has killed the record industry. And so now bands get one chance to make it and then BAM they're dropped and left to rot on the side of the road. U2 would never make it in today's industry. I mean it took them 3 albums to make a name and 5 to be a mega-seller.

So it isn't surprising to me that AC/DC (with ONE decent song) and G n' R (with a true Rock Star) will probably be the two biggest selling albums in today's 'rock' genre...'cos everything else out there is pile of :sick:

*end of rant*

I guess maybe there are a lot of people in that age group who are not necessarily big music followers, but who get nostalgic for bands like AC/DC (although it's beyond me why) and GnR?

My theory is that music has diversified so much that it's virtually impossible to become a huge band these days. That why I don't think there will ever be another band with the status of U2. Those days are gone. Now, everything's very genre-specific. I can remember, and I'm sure you can too, when it seemed like I knew and was familiar with virtually every band out there. Now, I read B&C, and sometimes it seems like I don't know three quarters of the bands listed in there! I just don't have time to keep up! Wtf is shoegaze, anyway? I have no clue.

So, what we have as a result are zillions of moderately known and little known bands, as opposed to a handful of huge, very well known bands - superstars. I think a lot of that has to do with the internet, and people having natural access to a more diversified selection of music now.

:shrug:

I had no idea 3 Doors Down were still around, they weren't really ever on my radar...

:eyebrow:

one of these things is not like the others...
one of these things just doesn't belong...

That's the paradox here Elfa...in the 'real musical world' they would never be lumped together, but sadly they have to be lumped into the same group...not because they sound the same, or one is better than the other, but because they play a similar genre of music (guitar, bass, drum) and they are consistent sellers they must be lumped together...add in Nickelback. I mean on the "alternative" station I (sometimes) listen to they are all played...so regardless of your particular views on these bands...they all fit my argument.

Damn....I'm fired up...someone throw me a question...stat!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom