The Story Behind Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Freedman

War Child
Ok, here's the story about Mercy from Blender:

The problem, if it can be called that, lies in the album's running order. After numerous attempts, U2 have yet to find a satisfactory flow, leading them to believe that there may be too many songs. So, right now, they must decide which tunes should be sacrificed.

As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, "too much of a good thing is a bad thing," so drastic measures need to be taken.

"I have a theory," Mullen begins, and a reverential silence descends as the drummer -- traditionally the first band member to be shouted down in these situations -- states his case. After just five minutes, it has been unanimously decided that the track "Mercy", a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibited U2-ish, must go.

Hence a song that any self-respecting band would be proud to call a single becomes what Bono immediately anoints "the best B-side you've ever heard."

God, I hope so! It soars! I'm loving it!

I'm afraid this past week has all been a dream, and I'm going to wake up soon.

I get the feeling with this album all of the "new" B-sides could be played. AYGWF is a tight, rock song. Mercy is in the same sort of mold as Bad, and who knows about Fast Cars, but from everything we've heard its killer.

Funny, I thought we'd see Fast Cars before Mercy. I figured Mercy wouldn't drop until next year. :eyebrow:

Sounds so derivative though... So the version of Mercy that is out is what the band was thinking about releasing? I just can't think that is the case. Compared to the other songs, Mercy doesn't feel finished... I dunno. If its true, that this song (as is) was almost on the album, then I'm glad they listened to Larry.

How did someone get this song? If it isn't on the album and it's not on any of the vertigo singles as a B-Side? Where did this recording come from? I mean we don't even have the complete Fast Cars recording yet!

adam3000 said:
How did someone get this song? If it isn't on the album and it's not on any of the vertigo singles as a B-Side? Where did this recording come from? I mean we don't even have the complete Fast Cars recording yet!

this is bugging me too, its quite a low quality clip, doesnt sound particularly mastered... When the cd was stolen in france this would probably have still been for inclusion on the album as it was only dropped at the last minute.....hmmmmmmmmmmm

I think it's an awesome song that along with Fast Cars could have made this a 5 star album, but it reamins to be seen how good Fast Cars is.

What is the big fucking deal with having an album that is an hour long? Sometimes I just think they are out of touch with their audience. Every album I own is an hour or more, just about.
You can't leave tracks this good off. It's pure stupidity. I shudder to think of how good Fast Cars might be, then I'll really be upset.

Well not upset, just scratching my head. U2, sometimes I wonder what the hell you guys are thinking.

I'm sure Mr T would call them "damn dirty fools" but seeing as i'm not as big or scary as Mr T i'll just call them "slightly mistaken gentlemen" for not including Mercy on the album. The problem isn't the fact that I want it on the album (i can amend this myself) but the fact that so many people aren't going to get a chance to hear how good it is. I think, unlike City of Blinding Lights, they could get a fantastic radio edit of this of just over 4 minutes and it would still be a great song and a fantastic single. A fabulous song and Fast Cars (or at least the loop) is the coolest song they've done since 93.:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom