The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeap. I remember, about ten years ago, half-Interference complaining about the way U2 sounded in many songs in HTDAAB, using... The "Dad-Rock" term.

Yep, that album was done in "dad rock" mode all the way. Anyway, it worked partly :)

Are you both 12? Just trying to see where this obsession with the term "dad rock" is coming from. It would make sense if you were still in your preteen days, so that's why I'm asking.

Are you both 12? Just trying to see where this obsession with the term "dad rock" is coming from. It would make sense if you were still in your preteen days, so that's why I'm asking.

You can even be 12 to make dad rock and you can make not-dad rock when you are a dad :) But it is also possible to make dad rock when you are a dad and that is more probable, but if you are 12 and you do dad rock, that is quite strange. You can aslo enjoy dad rock as a guilty pleasure or occassionaly like it as a nostalgy. There are many levels of dad rock

There you go :)

Dude, I'm not agreeing that with the "Dad-Rock" argument.
But are you going to deny that this exame same argument and this exact same expression was massively used by half-interference ten years ago?

:doh:...can we move on people...the song is Dad Rock...done....who cares. It's number one on the charts and it will be played on the tour and it will be a HUGE call and response part of the show...Let's (dad) Rock...:rockon:

I asked some 21 year old what she thought about U2. She responded, "U2 is a band your dad would listen to."

Therefore, the entire U2 catalogue has now been deemed dad rock by the younger generation.

I'm OK with "dad rock" if it comprises of their entire catalogue.

Dude, I'm not agreeing that with the "Dad-Rock" argument.
But are you going to deny that this exame same argument and this exact same expression was massively used by half-interference ten years ago?

Yes, and once again you two are missing the point entirely. No one thought thavidio was capable of coining the term himself, we've all heard it, it was the annoying fact that he did, and still does, have to use it in every single post. When you repeat the same thing over and over to get a rise, and can't truly defend your thoughts it's the definition of a troll. That was the point, not who coined the term or who used it.

I asked some 21 year old what she thought about U2. She responded, "U2 is a band your dad would listen to."

Therefore, the entire U2 catalogue has now been deemed dad rock by the younger generation.

I wonder what listening to Beethoven is? "Ancestor Music?"

:lol::lol::lol::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Yes, and once again you two are missing the point entirely. No one thought thavidio was capable of coining the term himself, we've all heard it, it was the annoying fact that he did, and still does, have to use it in every single post. When you repeat the same thing over and over to get a rise, and can't truly defend your thoughts it's the definition of a troll. That was the point, not who coined the term or who used it.

I never said I invented the term, I only use it, because it perfectly describes how that song is done/arranged. I will use it furthermore because it suits to it flawlessly. The same goes for EBW Adele version. Of course it is a bit of hyperbole license. Anyway, I tried to explain why I have that opinion. At least I tried. If you call it trolling, then I´m happy to be troll :)

The only music that I would think sounds like "Dad Rock," whatever that really means, is 70's classic rock. So if you hear Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Moody Blues, etc. on the radio, and picture some grizzled dude with a beer belly and smoking Marlboro, then that conjures for me "Dad Rock."

But U2 is too freaking cool sounding to be "Dad Rock." And bands like the Black Keys and Kings of Leon, who have a youth following, sound way more like Dad Rock than U2.

I think dad rock/corporate rock/soccer mom rock is all just a synonym for "shit I'm too cool to like."

Whatever it used to mean, now it all just sounds like a catch-all for stuff someone doesn't like or is annoyed by. Like "hipster."

I'm 19 and I totally agree U2 is dad rock. But so is every other band that started before 2000...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The only music that I would think sounds like "Dad Rock," whatever that really means, is 70's classic rock. So if you hear Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Moody Blues, etc. on the radio, and picture some grizzled dude with a beer belly and smoking Marlboro, then that conjures for me "Dad Rock."

But U2 is too freaking cool sounding to be "Dad Rock." And bands like the Black Keys and Kings of Leon, who have a youth following, sound way more like Dad Rock than U2.

Steely Dan and Pink Floyd aren't cool?

I hardly ever listen to radio, but we have a rock station here (it' playing a lot of DAD ROCK, which I enjoy very much) that plays The Miracle now regularly. I notice it sounds very good on radio and seems to be a really good radio tune. I enjoy hearing it on radio much more than I enjoy it on the album. However, I think the radio edit is really bad.

Back
Top Bottom