The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, yes it fucking is.

Sent from my ass crack

Except for The Edge's anaemic solo. I mean, he's basically playing with three fingers, while the middle one is pointing at all fans saying 'fuck you I don't care'. Either that or I need to pull out my buttplug and release the pressure....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Except for The Edge's anaemic solo. I mean, he's basically playing with three fingers, while the middle one is pointing at all fans saying 'fuck you I don't care'. Either that or I need to pull out my buttplug and release the pressure....

Oh fuck off already

:winkssss:

Sent from my ass crack

Ya know, I have to kinda agree.... on an album that (in my mind) brings Edge back to the fore, this solo is a bit droll.... but still the groove and vibe just blows me away.

Ya know, I have to kinda agree.... on an album that (in my mind) brings Edge back to the fore, this solo is a bit droll.... but still the groove and vibe just blows me away.

I was joking - I think the solo is perfectly fine. Edge has NEVER been about showing off tricks - he writes the solo to match the song, with no regard for difficulty/simplicity. I was parodying another poster who won't let that particular line of argument die.

Nothing is sexier than dead mothers

But wouldn't it be fun if surprisingly they decided to release it as single, and make a creepy video with ghosts (eventually the band members as a ghost band) in a party room?
I can't remember the last really creative and challenging video they made. This album has some songs that had lots of potential for some great videos, this is one of them.

But wouldn't it be fun if surprisingly they decided to release it as single, and make a creepy video with ghosts (eventually the band members as a ghost band) in a party room?

I can't remember the last really creative and challenging video they made. This album has some songs that had lots of potential for some great videos, this is one of them.

I wouldn't see that as creative or challenging. I'd see that as tacky and manipulative. Ghosts aren't real bro.

I was joking - I think the solo is perfectly fine. Edge has NEVER been about showing off tricks - he writes the solo to match the song, with no regard for difficulty/simplicity. I was parodying another poster who won't let that particular line of argument die.

I absolutely agree about the minimalism, I am admirer of it, I don´t like guitar players who tend to show off. On the new record for example Edge´s solo in Sleep like a Baby doesn´t need to be complicated and still it is maximally expressive.

But this one suuuuucks BIG TIME. It has nothing. It doesn´t have energy, it doesn´t have melody, it doesn´t have rhytm, moreover the sound of the tone he has chosen is awful, I wonder if Edge did worse solo in his entire career.

I absolutely agree about the minimalism, I am admirer of it, I don´t like guitar players who tend to show off. On the new record for example Edge´s solo in Sleep like a Baby doesn´t need to be complicated and still it is maximally expressive.

But this one suuuuucks BIG TIME. It has nothing. It doesn´t have energy, it doesn´t have melody, it doesn´t have rhytm, moreover the sound of the tone he has chosen is awful, I wonder if Edge did worse solo in his entire career.

Just as you have stated your opinion as fact, so will I. You are wrong. I oppose all of the things you have said.

Well, playing with three fingers while saying 'fuck off' with the other is exactly what Edge has been doing his whole career. I think it's fine. And by fine I mean boss.

Well, playing with three fingers while saying 'fuck off' with the other is exactly what Edge has been doing his whole career. I think it's fine. And by fine I mean boss.

No way. Edge has always been about the interesting expanded solos. Remember WOWY?

Jokes aside, I think the solos are just fine. They are melodic and fit just in right.

I wouldn't see that as creative or challenging. I'd see that as tacky and manipulative. Ghosts aren't real bro.

I could've written the biggest praise I've ever written in this forum about the band, that you would've comment immediately in a negative way (and then I'm the negative one...) not forgetting and insult or your malicious adjectives, such as "tacky and manipulative" (I don't understand how presenting by video a certain vision of a certain song who reffers ghosts and party rooms could be tacky and manipulative, but coming from your narrow evil mind it doesn't surprise me). And, counting on your behaviour with me (not only me) here, I'm not your "bro", ok?

I could've written the biggest praise I've ever written in this forum about the band, that you would've comment immediately in a negative way (and then I'm the negative one...) not forgetting and insult or your malicious adjectives, such as "tacky and manipulative" (I don't understand how presenting by video a certain vision of a certain song who reffers ghosts and party rooms could be tacky and manipulative, but coming from your narrow evil mind it doesn't surprise me). And, counting on your behaviour with me (not only me) here, I'm not your "bro", ok?

Cool story bro. Of course the use of ghosts is tacky and manipulative. It's a U2 video, not Scary Movie 6. It is tacky because it shows poor taste and just generally poor judgement. Manipulative because we are talking about a song about his dead parents, not nearly headless nick from Harry Potter. Show some respect and compassion, don't turn them into Casper.

I can hardly see how wanting to show due deference to his parents memories is malicious or evil. If I keep jumping on you and a small number of other posters it is because you keep saying stupid things, not because of my 'evil mind'. My 'evil mind' is what makes me worship the devil.

So before this thread blows up into a thing.....here is my take on the the whole ghost thing.....

When I heard what the song is about and then listened to the lyrics, I pictured in my mind this:

U2 up on a stage dressed in tuxedos. The room looks like a scene from the Great Gatsby where there is this huge dance floor with giant chandlers. The outfits people are wearing are that of the 1950s(when this would have occurred). I picture the colors of the video similar to that of Great Gatsby(Bright and vibrant). As U2 play, there is a young couple in the center of the room (many other couples are dancing around them ) and it's his parents. They are dancing along to the song that U2 are playing (TCB) but they never look at the band, only each other smiling , laughing and such. Then when the song ends, the man and woman finish dancing, kiss one another and look back at the band and give a VERY subtle smile (as if to say "you made it") and they slowly walk off holding hands.
Perhaps during the chorus, it goes to shots of the band playing an empty room that has long been abandoned(to give the impression that while it is empty now, it was once full of love).

No literal ghosts but rather the ghosts of what was and will never be.

Thoughts???? Should I call up Bono or what?

So before this thread blows up into a thing.....here is my take on the the whole ghost thing.....

When I heard what the song is about and then listened to the lyrics, I pictured in my mind this:

U2 up on a stage dressed in tuxedos. The room looks like a scene from the Great Gatsby where there is this huge dance floor with giant chandlers. The outfits people are wearing are that of the 1950s(when this would have occurred). I picture the colors of the video similar to that of Great Gatsby(Bright and vibrant). As U2 play, there is a young couple in the center of the room (many other couples are dancing around them ) and it's his parents. They are dancing along to the song that U2 are playing (TCB) but they never look at the band, only each other smiling , laughing and such. Then when the song ends, the man and woman finish dancing, kiss one another and look back at the band and give a VERY subtle smile (as if to say "you made it") and they slowly walk off holding hands.
Perhaps during the chorus, it goes to shots of the band playing an empty room that has long been abandoned(to give the impression that while it is empty now, it was once full of love).

That is far more tasteful than spectres of whispy white floating around the dance floor and vanishing before Bono can get near them or some other 'arty' crap.

No, during the chorus the place should be going mental and all bright colours and the band should be dressed as the Village People and

Sounds like an exciting idea :applaud:

Hopefully Edge wouldn´t get his mad destruction Miracle attack :hyper:

zg6s1pvlkmm3rp9qdrrs.jpg

For some reason this song always reminds me of when I played Super Mario World 2 when you have to go through Ghost Land on Gameboy. I used listen to Murmur by REM on repeat on my MP3 player while I played it. Good times. Maybe a Mario themed music video?...relevance guys. I can definitely see this happening. God, I'm such a genius. Don't doubt me either, I know a crap load about videos, I hosted AFHV fergodsakes.

Sounds a little Harry Potteresque to me.

How about just a nice performance video? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom