The 2014 AFL Thread with Wankard and Big Mummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really should, shouldn't I? I have a big month coming up, and I've found a crappy part-time job so it's harder to tell when I get free days, but yeah, will definitely think about it. Also, get over here, so we can all find Vlad. ;)

As long as it's not on a uni day. :lol:

I'm sure that standing on any major street corner waving around a Crows scarf, some Gaza leaflets, and a disc of Manics rarities would attract Vlad pretty quickly.

I already have Manics rarities. :love:

Monday night though, and a different supporting culture up there

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Fletch is out for the rest of the season to have surgery on a finger tendon injury. He's on 393 games. No word yet whether he'll play on next year.

I'm pretty sure he was one of the players who wasn't issued a show-cause notice by ASADA, so if we do cop some suspensions as a result, we'll probably make him play next year even if he is too decrepit to keep going!

Glenn Macfarlane - one of the best in the business - ranks the theme songs Glenn’s 18 Special Edition: we give you the definitive ranking of the AFL club songs

Hard to disagree.

Obviously I disagree quite strongly with some of that. Ranking Carlton's song so high is just mystifying and Hawthorn's should be closer to the bottom (they're easily the worst two of the traditional clubs), Brisbane actually improved on Fitzroy's original, Freo shouldn't be at the bottom, and any praise for West Coast's song just baffles me since it's so obviously the current worst song in the league. It needs to be put down.

But at least he puts Richmond at #1, because it undeniably is the best. What a great team song. Everything a team song should be.

For those too lazy to click the link, this is my ranking at the end of my comments and reviews:

1. Richmond - "We're From Tigerland"
2. Essendon - "See the Bombers Fly Up"
3. Brisbane Lions (previously Fitzroy) - "The Pride of Brisbane Town"
4. Geelong - "We Are Geelong"
5. Gold Coast - "Suns of the Gold Coast Sky"
6. North Melbourne - "Join in the Chorus"
7. Collingwood - "Good Old Collingwood Forever"
8. Fremantle - "Freo Way to Go"
9. Greater Western Sydney - "There's a Big Big Sound"
10. Sydney (previously South Melbourne) - "The Red and the White"
11. Adelaide - "The Pride of South Australia"
12. Western Bulldogs (previously Footscray) - "Sons of the 'Scray/West"
13. St Kilda - "When the Saints Go Marching In"
14. Melbourne - "It's a Grand Old Flag"
15. Carlton - "We Are the Navy Blues"
16. Port Adelaide - "The Power to Win"
17. Hawthorn - "The Mighty Fighting Hawks"
18. West Coast - "We're Flying High"
19. Brisbane Bears - "We're the Brisbane Bears"

What the hell is it with Carlton and constantly getting Friday night matches?

I'm going to put my money on "the AFL thought they'd be serious finalist contenders and this would be a blockbuster HA HA HA".

Victoria (snippet) / North Melbourne is probably my fav.

I agree. I absolutely adore the North Melbourne theme song. Might be equal favourite with Richmond's for me.

Don't like this "definitive" list. Claims that he should have ranked Footscray's song higher, but doesn't when he should have. 3rd for me.

Gold Coast, Fremantle and West Coast would have been higher on my list. Gold Coast's I really like, far more than GWesses, a repulsive song to match the repulsiveness of pretty much everything else about the club.

Adelaide's is a bit of a drag taken on its own, but I enjoy listening to it as it brings back memories of their two incredible premierships.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

The umpire paid Christensen a free kick about 5 seconds after it happened. Way too late to pay a free kick, and it's influenced the result naturally.

1 minute left and Tuohy wastes 20 seconds running on the spot only to fuck up a kick.

Geelong very unimpressive tonight, quite lucky to get away with a win.

Same old shit.

This team really isn't that bad, but they're still so, so bad.

Last edited:
I probably should have been hoping for Geelong to lose, but at least I got the tip.

I only watched the last few mins, but would I be right in thinking the cheer squads' colours would have been pretty indistinguishable from one another in this game?

Wasn't watching because fuck my housemates (and also wtf apparently my own interest is waning?!?!?!) but clearly we deserved to win and the free kick was obviously there.

It's so odd to see/hear him complaining like this because before matches like tomorrow night's he's always going on about how we're going to show no mercy or whatever which eventually falls flat on its face.

I really didn't expect last night's game to be so close. Cannot tell where Geelong sit at the moment - sure they're equal top on points, and you don't end up in the top four by being completely mundane, but they've only just scraped over the line against some really mediocre opposition. Next week's game against Hawthorn hopefully will tell us a lot.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the game on telly tonight is Adelaide versus Richmond. I figured that if Collingwood had a Saturday night fixture, no matter who it was against, it would be the free-to-air broadcast.

Just a lazy 9.4 for Buddy so far. Meanwhile Suns two points down at 3/4 time.

I'm in Craigieburn watching India play Pakistan in the AFL International Cup :)

Jobe kicks the opening goal in his return! Stoked.

What a pissweak effort by Port. You've got to say their finals campaign is looking shaky, and North could even overtake them and claim fifth.

I watched the VFL Werribee vs Sandringham game today instead of waiting for the delayed coverage of Sydney kicking the shit out of St Kilda. Safe to say I made the right call.

Essendon's kicking into our attacking fifty is appallingly, disgracefully bad. If I see an aimless long kick go straight to an Eagles player one more time, I might just throw something out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom