Surprised and Disappointed in many of you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bathiu said:

why wont you stay out of this kind of threads?

Why don't you if they upset you? Because we ALL have a right to express our opinions, and ALL opinions deserve to be heard whether or not some people want to hear them. Gosh, I haven't even hardly posted on this entire forum for weeks, it's not like I hang around waiting to jump on you. Just saying my part.

U2Kitten said:

See, you Pop lovers (some but not all!) are so eternally bitter over the larger success of ATYCLB and Bomb!

I am amazed... Not bitter :wink:

bathiu said:

I like HTDAAB more than POP... and I like ATYCLB the least out of all U2 albums... thank you... why wont you stay out of this kind of threads?
it's clear you can only troll in them (so what you've registered 4 years ago? should I also care about Star Wars avatar and sig while reading your posts:rolleyes: ?)
Every time there's a thread about ATYCLB or HTDAAB you're coming in and start to troll... or at least throwing a bait like with the last post to offend the majority of people here that like POP...
You're trying to prove something? You'e out of arguments, so by bait-trolling you're trying to turn "POP lovers" into some kind of monsters always using strong words toward others?
Your "honest and long thought out observations" is the bigest BS I've ever read on this forum... Bravo, I'll send you some kind of reward for that... (just have to find some healthy bull and give him lots of food)..
:tsk:

Woah woah woah. Lay off sheesh. People can have their own opinion about something, but don't start attacking and get personal on someone because sometimes their opinion may stir up a large discussion. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, "If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people, and if you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

There is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion, but leave personal attacks out of it.

U2Fan101 said:

Woah woah woah. Lay off sheesh. People can have their own opinion about something, but don't start attacking and get personal on someone because sometimes their opinion may stir up a large discussion. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, "If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people, and if you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

There is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion, but leave personal attacks out of it.
its when people express there opinion as facts that pisses alot of people off

In my humble opinion

ATYCLB is an album I hold on a whole higher level than most music, it's by far one of the great contributions to our society today.

HTDAAB is an extremely worthy album, definitely to be held in the high regard, especially considering the history the group has. this is 25 years of living and learning, compiled into one CD!

But everyone is going to look at these things from different angles, and have the right to their own feelings. After all, isn't that ultimately what music is about? Feeling?

MacPhistoPT said:
All IMO

ATYCLB

GREAT SONGS: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite
GOOD SONGS: In A Little While, Peace On Earth, When I look at the world, New York
OK SONGS: Wild Honey
SHIT SONGS: Elevation, Stuck in a moment, Grace

???What??? ***rubs eyes in disbelief**** Elavation a shit song??~~!!!

For me, New York and Grace are the biggest shit songs.

Sad_Girl said:
In my humble opinion

ATYCLB is an album I hold on a whole higher level than most music, it's by far one of the great contributions to our society today.

HTDAAB is an extremely worthy album, definitely to be held in the high regard, especially considering the history the group has. this is 25 years of living and learning, compiled into one CD!

In my humble opinion, your humble opinion is right on!:wink:

None of what I'm about to say is me yelling at anyone here. I just wish to ask a question.

Why do people constantly have to argue over what album is better or worse than the other?

They're albums, okay? I personally like Pop and ATYCLB and HTDAAB. However, I know other people will disagree, some will like one album over another, and I personally may not agree with their reasoning behind why ____ album isn't good, but you know what? It's their opinion and they're entitled to it. I'm sure they don't agree with my reasoning as to why that same album is good.

Everybody should just listen to whatever makes them happy, regardless of what that is. I've never understood why discussion over albums, particularly these last few, has to always turn into some big argument.

Angela

I like all their albums. Not equally, I have my favorites. But, yup, I like Pop a lot.....and I like ATYCLB a lot. I like October a lot.....and I like HTDAAB a lot.

Do I think the last 2 are as good as their best 2? Nope. So what, U2 are not in a contest with themselves, none that I know of, at least. I just know I like both albums. And I know I'm not someone who will like anything they put out, because there are songs of theirs I simply dislike, so it is possible for them to put out an album I dislike, I just do not see that happening.

If I spent all my record listening time comparing everything to the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, I'd spend the rest of my life being disappointed. They are my 2 favorite albums of all-time, they are thrilling to me and I am blown away that the same band made both.

So, I just enjoy the albums as they are, on their own merits, and I'm thrilled and lucky to have my favorite band, 25 years after their first album, still make songs like Crumbs, Love and Peace or Else, City of Blinding Lights, One Step Closer (Underrated song, IMO), Miracle Drug, etc.

None of this means that any of you are right, wrong or otherwise...it's all subjective, of course. My main point really is that it is very possible to like U2's entire catalogue.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
I like all their albums. Not equally, I have my favorites. But, yup, I like Pop a lot.....and I like ATYCLB a lot. I like October a lot.....and I like HTDAABa lot.

Do I think the last 2 are as good as their best 2? Nope. So what, U2 are not in a contest with themselves, none that I know of, at least. I just know I like both albums. And I know I'm not someone who will like anything they put out, because there are songs of theirs I siply dislike, so it is possible for them to put out an album I dislike, I just do not see that happening.

If I spent all my record listening time comparing everything to the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, I'd spend the rest of my life being disappointed. They are my 2 favorite albums of all-time, they are thrilling to me and I am blown away that the same band made both.

So, I just enjoy the albums as they are, on their own merits, and I'm thrilled and lucky to have my favorite band, 25 years after their first album, still make songs like Crumbs, Love and Peace or Else, City of Blinding Lights, One Step Closer (Underrated song, IMO), Miracle Drug, etc.

None of this means that any of you are right, wrong or otherwise...it's all subjective, of course. My main point really is that it is very possible to like U2's entire catalogue.

:up:. Great post :).

Angela

Everybody should just listen to whatever makes them happy, regardless of what that is. I've never understood why discussion over albums, particularly these last few, has to always turn into some big argument.

Moonlit_Angel, will you marry me?

:wink:

WalkOnTheEdge said:
New to these boards but certainly not new to U2. I gotta say, I'm shocked at what I see written about ATYCLB and HTDAAB. What's with the amount of posts and threads slamming these two albums?? Wow. Are you people crazy???? ATYCLB is tremendous. For one thing, it gave us Walk On......EASILY in U2's all-time top 10.......particularly the alternate version from U2 7.

And Atomic Bomb is slowly emerging as a masterpiece. It took me about 15 listens to "get" this album, but now that I have I think it's pretty awesome. I know what you're going to say - "If it took 15 listens then how can it be so good?" What can I say, it didn't hit me right away but now I feel foolish. I think it's solid through and through.

Just my two cents.

I immediately fell in love with HTDAAB. This a great record, for me it's their third best after AB & JT.

No spoken words said:

:yes: Well said. :up:

No spoken words said:
I like all their albums. Not equally, I have my favorites. But, yup, I like Pop a lot.....and I like ATYCLB a lot. I like October a lot.....and I like HTDAAB a lot.

Do I think the last 2 are as good as their best 2? Nope. So what, U2 are not in a contest with themselves, none that I know of, at least. I just know I like both albums. And I know I'm not someone who will like anything they put out, because there are songs of theirs I simply dislike, so it is possible for them to put out an album I dislike, I just do not see that happening.

I concur :up: with NSW and Moonlit_Angel

I still see the passion in their music 25 years later, and when I think of U2, one of the words that comes to mind IS passion. I don't think there's anyone out there like them (nor will there be), nor with the catalog of incredible diverse music bringing me pleasure for the last 25 years... of course that's just my opinion... I'm still entitled to one, right? :wink:

MacPhistoPT said:
All IMO

ATYCLB

GREAT SONGS: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite
GOOD SONGS: In A Little While, Peace On Earth, When I look at the world, New York
OK SONGS: Wild Honey
SHIT SONGS: Elevation, Stuck in a moment, Grace

HTDAAB

GREAT SONGS: City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from your table, One Step Closer, Yahweh
GOOD SONGS: Sometimes
OK SONGS: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Love and Peace, Original of the species
SHIT SONGS: All Because of you, a man and a woman

Overall I can't say I hate any of these albums :wink: I can't understand so much hate for them

Completely agree with you there, but I'm gonna copy your idea.

ATYCLB
Great - Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (my version of the CD has it)
Good - Wild Honey, Peace On Earth, When I Look At The World
OK - Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, In A Little While, New York
Crap - Grace
HTDAAB
Great - City Of Blinding Lights
Good - Vertigo, Sometimes, Miracle Drug, Love And Peace, All Because Of You, A Man And A Woman, Crumbs From Your Table, Original of The Species, Yahweh
OK - One Step Closer
Crap - None.

These albums are not called 'masterpieces' because they are albums that have been done recently and while most of you here like them, they will never be'masterpieces' because some you guys are still stuck in the pre-ATYCLB era. Any U2 album from now to when they retire will never be a 'masterpiece' in some people's eyes. I think that's where my age is a factor because I appreciate the pre-ATYCLB behind era a lot, and thats where the classics are, but my view on the latest two are not clouded by that era.

I'm not making everyone else's opinion here, all I'm trying to say is that some people love all the other albums so much that they won't think any CD U2 releases in the future is as good.

Risky post, I know.

PS - Can someone please explain what a troll is.

COBL_04 said:
PS - Can someone please explain what a troll is.

Somebody who comes onto a message board for the sole purpose of getting everyone all riled up, starting crap with people, stuff like that. They generally do not bother to act serious at any time on the boards.

Also, regarding the last two albums...let's see here, my take would be...

ATYCLB:
Great- Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, In A Little While, Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, Peace On Earth (I can relate to the general sentiment), Wild Honey, Grace
Good- When I Look At The World
OK- New York (I have to be in the right mood for this one. If I'm in the right mood, it's great, if I'm not, it's eh)
Crap- None

The American version doesn't have "The Ground Beneath Her Feet", but regardless, I would put that in the "Great" category, too. Love that song.

HTDAAB:
Great- City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Sometimes, All Because Of You, A Man And A Woman, Original Of The Species, One Step Closer, Love And Peace
Good- Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table
OK- Yahweh (again, gotta be in the right mood. Although I do like that it sounds kinda like something that could've been on The Unforgettable Fire-at least, that's what it sounds like to me)
Crap- None

Also, I'm glad to find some people out there who are agreeing with me on this one :up: :). For a while, I was wondering if I was alone in this thought process or something, LOL.

Angela

Joshua87 said:
I agree with ATYCLB...great album, full of emotions, hope and despair. etc. Definitely their 5th masterpiece :wink:

Bomb sucks. I hate it. 9 out of 11 of the songs are total shit. :scream:

Really? I think 9 out of the 11 are awesome songs

I agree with COBL_04. A lot of pre-ATYCLB era fans are disappointed with U2's new work.
My mother has been a fan of U2 since New Year's Day came out and although she prefers the old stuff, she'll listen to the new stuff and say, "Oh this is a good song, it will be a hit. Reminds me of the Stones."
My cousin, on the other hand, really got attached to the Zoo TV/Achtung era and didn't like Pop, or ATYCLB, OR HTDAAB.
I don't know why, although I dislike some of their work, I still relatively buy U2 albums and like, or grow to love, their songs.
Except for Hands, I could never listen to that whole song.

I can't understand how a U2 fan would dislike the whole of TWO whole albums. It doesn't make sense.

Am I one of the rare and few U2 fans that know every words of every U2 song there is? And truly like 97% of their stuff?

I could NEVER put October or Unforgettable Fire in and expect for someone NOT to turn it off! But someone lets the recent 2 albums spin all the time in my household.

xtal said:

Am I one of the rare and few U2 fans that know every words of every U2 song there is? And truly like 97% of their stuff?

No, you're not alone... without 11 ATYCLB songs it's around that number of % of their work that I like/love (including b-sides and remixes)

I'm suprised how many of you like Pop and Zooropa over ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but I guess everyone has their own opinions. I only like about 3 songs really well on ATYCLB, but I still think it's a good album, just not as good as anything U2 did durrin the 80's. I think HTDAAB is increadible :drool: Songs like Miracle Drug and COBL remind me of the atmosphere of the JT. ABOY, Vertigo, and LPOE remind me of old Boy and War songs, and SYCMIOYO and OOTS sound like some of Achtung baby's songs such as So Cruel and One.

xtal said:

:wave:. Particularly regarding the lyrics...there's probably more important information that should be stored up here, but there's definitely a corner of my brain in which all the U2 lyrics are stored, LOL :reject:.

Angela

Holy drama queens Batman! :ohmy:

I'm siding with livluv, angela and no spoken words on this one. I like ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and....(gasp!) Pop. In fact I like all their albums - and an album doesn't have to be equal or superior to their past works in order to still be good. You hate ATYCLB and/or HTDAAB or Pop? Fine with me - just try and lay off the melodrama a little. I can't imagine how you handle more serious issues, like, what to wear, if you get this bent out of shape over a couple albums.

:wink:

xtal said:
I agree with COBL_04. A lot of pre-ATYCLB era fans are disappointed with U2's new work.
My mother has been a fan of U2 since New Year's Day came out and although she prefers the old stuff, she'll listen to the new stuff and say, "Oh this is a good song, it will be a hit. Reminds me of the Stones."
My cousin, on the other hand, really got attached to the Zoo TV/Achtung era and didn't like Pop, or ATYCLB, OR HTDAAB.
I don't know why, although I dislike some of their work, I still relatively buy U2 albums and like, or grow to love, their songs.
Except for Hands, I could never listen to that whole song.

I can't understand how a U2 fan would dislike the whole of TWO whole albums. It doesn't make sense.

I could NEVER put October or Unforgettable Fire in and expect for someone NOT to turn it off! But someone lets the recent 2 albums spin all the time in my household.

Yay, i'm not alone in my thoughts either! :D

i think the point I agree with you most there is that how could you call yourself a U2 fan if you dislike two of their albums?

Well I only own three cds but I know every word to every song from HTDAAB and almost ALTYCLB. 80/90 BO I'm getting better too, something I'm proud of as there was no lyrics in the booklet that came with the CD.

It seems to me that HTDAAB is either loved or hated. To me - loved. :hug:

ATYCLB:
Great- Beautiful Day, New York, When I Look At The World
Good- Walk On, Grace
OK- Elevation, Kite
Not so good - In A Little While, Peace On Earth, Stuck, Wild Honey

HTDAAB:
Great- City Of Blinding Lights, Original Of the Species, Sometimes, Miracle Drug
Good- Vertigo, Crumbs from Your Table
OK- All Because Of You, A man and A woman, Love And Peace, Fast Cars, Yahweh
Not So Good- One Step Closer

I don't get why most people here prefer HTDAAB over ATYCLB..........ATYCLB is arguably the ultimate U2 album..........a bit of everything, flawless production.........The Joshua Tree is the only one that can top it......

Back
Top Bottom