Surprised and Disappointed in many of you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOnTheEdge

The Fly
New to these boards but certainly not new to U2. I gotta say, I'm shocked at what I see written about ATYCLB and HTDAAB. What's with the amount of posts and threads slamming these two albums?? Wow. Are you people crazy???? ATYCLB is tremendous. For one thing, it gave us Walk On......EASILY in U2's all-time top 10.......particularly the alternate version from U2 7.

And Atomic Bomb is slowly emerging as a masterpiece. It took me about 15 listens to "get" this album, but now that I have I think it's pretty awesome. I know what you're going to say - "If it took 15 listens then how can it be so good?" What can I say, it didn't hit me right away but now I feel foolish. I think it's solid through and through.

Just my two cents.

I agree with ATYCLB...great album, full of emotions, hope and despair. etc. Definitely their 5th masterpiece :wink:

Bomb sucks. I hate it. 9 out of 11 of the songs are total shit. :scream:

Joshua87 said:
I agree with ATYCLB...great album, full of emotions, hope and despair. etc. Definitely their 5th masterpiece :wink:

Bomb sucks. I hate it. 9 out of 11 of the songs are total shit. :scream:

Wow. I can't believe that.

I'm not going to knock you or anyone else that doesn't like it, I just can't believe it. Just very surprising to me.

schla08.gif

I actually don't think they're as hated on the board as you might think. The one's that don't like it are quite vocal and seem to remind people how much they don't like it often and in many threads-A very vocal minority. I might be wrong but hey.......

WalkOnTheEdge said:
I know what you're going to say - "If it took 15 listens then how can it be so good?" What can I say, it didn't hit me right away

I don't think that's odd. Matter of fact, that's happened to me many times-there's bands and songs that it took a few listens for me to really get into-I didn't HATE them upon first hearing them, but they were just really different and so it took a bit of listening, but once they clicked with me...:up:. And a lot of those bands and songs are now some of my all-time favorites.

Heh, actually, I'd say that'd be a case for the music being challenging...wouldn't it make sense that more challenging music takes a bit longer to get into because there's a lot more to absorb from it?

That's not to totally dismiss music where you just like it upon immediately hearing it, though, because I like many bands and songs like that as well.

Angela

^ just like angela said.

with me i didn't liek HTDAAB at all... just a few songs (3 or so..) but then i listened to it.. like LISTENED to it.. and then the lyrics clicked and everything in my brain spazzed out and now i love the album! haha
same goes for ATYCLB.

i think no matter what U2 makes, some people will love it and some people will hate it. and others learn to just appreciate it. that's the way things go. :|

ATYCLB is better than HTDAAB, and both are regularly at the bottom of my U2 album rankings. Note that this is not just because I don't like these two records, but also because the other nine are so incredible, especially War through Pop.

Walk on the Edge i Love BOTH ALBUMS!
Agree 100% on what you said

Well said by the way

ATYCLB & HTDAAB both U2 masterpieces
Two albums full of heart and emotion, brilliant lyrics and great melodies just as good as anything U2 ever made

Walk On
Yahweh
Beautiful Day
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
Kite
Original Of The Species
When i look at the world
Love and Peace Or Else

wow!!
again: wow!

Compared to U2 past albums :scratch: It is not at the top of my list , but I stil love some songs on both albums....I give it 4 out of 5 stars.....as for the rest of them..... JT and AB are the only two I give all 5 of my stars:reject:

I love ATYCLB ... ever since I first heard it !! :love:

I'll never love HTDAAB ... no matter how much I listen to it :sad:
I only like 6 songs ... the rest is disappointing !! :tsk:

As for U2's past albums :: War / The Joshua Tree / Achtung Baby ..
Now there's U2's "masterpiece" albums !! :bow: :applaud:

is it possible to post without adding emoticons to drive home the point?

i wouldn't know. :sexywink:

anyway, i don't like their last two albums. it's my opinion, and only an opinion.

don't be too surprised or disappointed, please.

My opinion on this:

Being new to the forum, Im quite shocked at the criticism ATYCLB and HTDAAB get too.

ATYCLB is hardly U2's greatest (and compared to some of U2s other albums, you could say it was a bit dissapointing), but its still a decent album with some excellent songs on it, such as Walk On and Kite for example.

I really like HTDAAB, its nothing new or ground breaking, but its still a good, solid album.
Just because its style doesn't stand out like previous albums such as Achtung Baby and Pop, it doesn't make it a bad album.
Theres only 1 song I wasn't too keen on, but the rest of the album is pretty good, IMO.
It is in my top 5 U2 albums anyway (my order being 1= AB, 2= JT, 3= Pop, 4= UF or HTDAAB).

Bono's shades said:
This place would be pretty boring if we all loved everything U2 ever did. :shrug:

No kidding.

I'm always surprised when people are disturbed by what other people like or dislike. Shouldn't individual taste be up to the individual?

WalkOnTheEdge,
I had the same reaction you did when I first came here. I've listened to U2 for 8 years and read several books about them, but I only started to check out the fan sites recently. I thought I was one of the only people to love Pop, but I found a bunch of other Pop fans here. Unfortunately, a number of them are annoying to the point that I hardly ever mention my appreciation for Pop. On the other hand, since ATYCLB (esp) and HTDAAB get trashed here, I'm always expressing my affection for those 2 albums. War is my favorite, btw.

And Achtung Baby just plain sucks.

:wink:

I just don't know how someone can like this album ( I don't disrespect you for liking it), it just is a complete let down. The album has no flow, and songs like SYCMIOYO, ABOY, AMAW, OTS, MD, and vertigo suck a lot, and are worse than anything on ATYCLB, in my opinion

I like all of U2's albums :shrug: ATYCLB is underrated here and overrated everywhere else... dunno about HTDAAB, everyone seemed to love it at first then it got lots of backlash. I don't get how people could hate this album, but to each his own.

AtomicBono said:
I like all of U2's albums :shrug: ATYCLB is underrated here and overrated everywhere else... dunno about HTDAAB, everyone seemed to love it at first then it got lots of backlash. I don't get how people could hate this album, but to each his own.

My problem is i don't understand how people can dislike U2:wink:

When lots of bands people now days listen to all claim some influence from U2..The Killers, Coldplay etc i don't understand how you can be a fan of these bands both whom obviously love U2 and then say you hate U2...

I used to be surprised and disapointed that so many people seem to hate ATYCLB and HTDAAB with a passion, but I find this site is alot more fun if you aren't constantly trying to defend these albums to people who can't help but not like them.
We can't control what we like and don't like.

It's not like they bought the albums and said, "No matter how good this album is I'm gonna hate because I think it's cool to hate new things."

It's just opinions -- There are probably people somewhere who think every U2 album sucked except for ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Think what you want to think people, but don't get too flustered when someone disagrees with you.

Just to add to what i said, here is a really short summary of the two albums.

ATYCLB 4 5 star songs, 7 4 star songs, 1 3 star song
HTDAAB 3 5 star songs 9 4 star songs

Back
Top Bottom