*Spoilers* Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Volcano back when they did it on Jools Holland. I'm not a huge fan of the song but surprised it's not in the set. SLABT I doubt will be played but Reach seems like it would be a great opener or encore opener.

Playboy Mansion, before I saw it was rehearsed, I would've said would be one of the least likely to ever be played since they rehearsed it back on POPMART and didn't do it.

Yeah, with Bono's voice being a bit worn these days, I'm surprised we haven't had a segment where Edge does Van Diemen's Land or Seconds or Numb, whichever fits the vibe of the show.

Or, of course, he could do a song normally sung by Bono. Edge did SBS perfectly well on Popmart.

Even if they play if, how long before fans complain that the song is boring live. I think it might be at the bottom of original songs I wish to hear sung by Edge, and ZooTV is my favourite u2 period.

On May 12th(the rehearsal with fake Larry) they did a song not on any 2015 list before running the full set that evening. I'm only 30% sure(done at lower volume) so I'm not going to mention it by name, but it's a song they did full band on ZooTV many times. It blows me away that 100 of the world's biggest U2 fans could hear but none of them caught it.

It's really annoying the lack of soundcheck reports after Vancouver. Springsteen fans got them when he played the same venues.

On zoo tv or Zooropa?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Even if they play if, how long before fans complain that the song is boring live. I think it might be at the bottom of original songs I wish to hear sung by Edge, and ZooTV is my favourite u2 period.

On May 12th(the rehearsal with fake Larry) they did a song not on any 2015 list before running the full set that evening. I'm only 30% sure(done at lower volume) so I'm not going to mention it by name, but it's a song they did full band on ZooTV many times. It blows me away that 100 of the world's biggest U2 fans could hear but none of them caught it.

It's really annoying the lack of soundcheck reports after Vancouver. Springsteen fans got them when he played the same venues.

I'm gonna guess Dirty Day. Can't believe that it hasn't been played since ZooTV. It's neck and neck with One Tree Hill for best lyrics they've ever written. It'd also fit the experience theme and would work between MW and Wave.
Of course, it could very well not be that, but I'll hold out hope.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It would have to be either Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car or Babyface.

I think Lemon would have been obvious at any volume, nor do I think they'll even attempt it, so it would have to be one of the above three. Dirty Day makes the most sense as the other two don't really offer much of an immersive live experience...Bono kind of talk-sings through them whereas Dirty Day can really be belted, especially near the end.

It would have to be either Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car or Babyface.

I think Lemon would have been obvious at any volume, nor do I think they'll even attempt it, so it would have to be one of the above three. Dirty Day makes the most sense as the other two don't really offer much of an immersive live experience...Bono kind of talk-sings through them whereas Dirty Day can really be belted, especially near the end.

Stay I rekon. Hasn't been played full band since ZooTV

Yeah, with Bono's voice being a bit worn these days, I'm surprised we haven't had a segment where Edge does Van Diemen's Land or Seconds or Numb, whichever fits the vibe of the show.

Or, of course, he could do a song normally sung by Bono. Edge did SBS perfectly well on Popmart.

Maybe Edge just isn't comfortable taking on a full song anymore. I mean people's voices change as they age, it's common, and everyone loves to point out how Bono can't sing the way he did when he was younger. Not saying he can't do it, only maybe he doesn't want to for his own reasons.

I'd like for that not to be the case though, and get a full Edge song this tour.

Maybe Edge just isn't comfortable taking on a full song anymore. I mean people's voices change as they age, it's common, and everyone loves to point out how Bono can't sing the way he did when he was younger. Not saying he can't do it, only maybe he doesn't want to for his own reasons.

I'd like for that not to be the case though, and get a full Edge song this tour.

Edge sounded fine on 360 and in the past 6-8 months when he took vocals. he's been doubling Bono for some choruses like Pride/Streets.

IMO, it's Bono making the choice to avoid "Edge is the best singer in the band right now" type comments.

My song guess was WGRYWH. But I'm not sure enough that I think it should be included on any lists. Bono was doing "talk singing" and avoiding big notes.

They always try stuff in early rehearsals. "Seconds" was done at Rogers Arena during the Vertigo rehearsals plus another jaw dropper that went undocumented by fans.

Edge sounded fine on 360 and in the past 6-8 months when he took vocals. he's been doubling Bono for some choruses like Pride/Streets.

IMO, it's Bono making the choice to avoid "Edge is the best singer in the band right now" type comments.

LOL, you think Bono is trying to keep Edge from stealing the show? :lol:

I don't doubt that Edge sounds fine on the backing vocals and the here and there one-off full songs we've heard in recent times. But granted, we have never heard him sing full songs night after night like Bono does. Just saying maybe he doesn't feel comfortable doing that, and maybe it's why he doesn't. Only one possible reason, since fans say things like they don't know why he doesn't do it. :shrug:

Again though, it would be good if we did get to see it someday.

My song guess was WGRYWH. But I'm not sure enough that I think it should be included on any lists. Bono was doing "talk singing" and avoiding big notes.

They always try stuff in early rehearsals. "Seconds" was done at Rogers Arena during the Vertigo rehearsals plus another jaw dropper that went undocumented by fans.

Surrender?

Just a guess. ;)

U2 also rehearsed Daddy's Gonna Pay during soundcheck on the Vertigo tour. They tinker with stuff all the time to see what may have a spark or fit what they are doing with the setlist.

Surrender was rehearsed for 360 and/or Vertigo.

There were verbal fan reports of Acrobat being rehearsed before the San Jose Vertigo shows and Bono also had the line "I'm ready for the Acrobat!" appear in "Zoo Station" during at least one Vertigo show. Too coincidental to ignore.

I'd dig to see Edge doing his mad falsetto thing, Lemon anyone?
At any rate , I'm in for anything sang by him, he has a really nice voice. But I guess he doesn't see himself as a singer. (As he pointed out during the Feedback Kitchen interview)

With a bit of routine though. He could totally pull something like Numb, Lemon or SBS off.

If Bono had any singing issues they would be doing show day/off day/show day/off day tour routing like every other act in their age bracket. Instead they are doing back to back nights.

LOL, you think Bono is trying to keep Edge from stealing the show?

yep.

Remember Edge's quote from Vancouver that they plan on doing 24-26 songs per night? How that working out?

Bono recently stated that he had voice issues in an interview Peter, so its not a very ludacris statement.

Bono recently stated that he had voice issues in an interview Peter, so its not a very ludacris statement.

From what city?

If there is an issue, why spend a hour extra singing time doing sound checks for songs that have only been heard by contest winners? This includes the LA2 sound check.

From what city?

If there is an issue, why spend a hour extra singing time doing sound checks for songs that have only been heard by contest winners? This includes the LA2 sound check.

It was an article after night one where they were talking about their hope for the new songs to connect with fans, and Bono complained that they have to play them at their best in order to know for sure if they connect, which he can't do to the best of his abilities at that time due to voice issues.

Forget where the interview was printed but fairly sure it was a major publication.

I heard he told people in Vancouver he couldn't stop to sign due to throat issues.

I also heard him telling fans in Phoenix just last week he is currently experiencing throat issues.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Hours before opening of a world tour and near the end of singing 6 nights in a row.

Bono sung 3.5 hours the Thursday before Fallon at the Coliseum.

You are in denial and its hilarious.
Yes he sang so many nights in a row, and yes he sang fine most of the time. But the man himself knows he's not in top form yet.
He said it himself!

Yup, he volunteered this info to fans in Phoenix after talking about the beautiful moon in Arizona.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Looks like I missed a wild weekend on the blue crack!

Peter, you mean you couldn't hear bono making repeated references about how sore his voice during rehearsals and soundchecks? I thought you were on top of all this.

Peter, you mean you couldn't hear Bono making repeated references about how sore his voice during rehearsals and soundchecks? I thought you were on top of all this.

I heard it in his singing at every 2015 performance that I've had access to hear. Some fans also know that if he drinks any water within the first 10 minutes onstage it's more than likely a so-so show(relatively speaking for high show count fans) from Bono coming up.

If Bono was having genuine voice issues there would be shorter shows, fewer soundchecks, fewer interviews, they wouldn't be practicing rarities for contest winners, they wouldn't be shortening the intermission from opening night and they would be more likely to let Edge get a full song.

I'm just pointing out that the evidence is inconclusive rather than clear.

Except that, ya know, Bono has stated himself that he's not where he wants to be.

Other than that and all.

Vocally, physically(beyond left arm) or mentally?

3 very different things.

Or maybe Bono wishes he could smoke or drink on tour when everything indicates he's sworn off both help nerve recovery in his left hand fingers?

Vocally, physically(beyond left arm) or mentally?

3 very different things.

Or maybe Bono wishes he could smoke or drink on tour when everything indicates he's sworn off both help nerve recovery in his left hand fingers?

He literally said he was having voice issues. Why is this difficult to comprehend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom