*Spoilers* - Rehearsals in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how successful Sweetest Thing was as a single in 1998, I'm stunned it hasn't been played live more often. I'm not the biggest fan of the song but it's about time it came back to the setlist.

Great work reporting this, dab. :up:

I disagree. I think with the number of songs rehearsed, and the "no opening act" means we will get the longest shows they have done.

Well, I hope you're right. A 3+ hour U2 show would be incredible. But I'm not holding my breath.

I just don't think not having an opening act has anything to with it one way or the other.

Given how successful Sweetest Thing was as a single in 1998, I'm stunned it hasn't been played live more often. I'm not the biggest fan of the song but it's about time it came back to the setlist.

I agree, I'd be happy to hear Sweetest Thing during this tour

For the start of the tour, I think we could see shorter sets (110 min) as opposed to longer ones. Remember, Bono has had to go through intense rehab for his injuries, plus he had the whole back issue on the last tour, plus he's turning 55 on Sunday. They would probably be smart to start on the shorter side (much to our frustration), then to bust out 2 1/2 hours on opening night and then find out he can't handle it.

Maybe they should have a small Edge section of the show to give Bono a bit of an extra break along with the intermission. The band could do Numb, Van Diemen's Land, hell Edge could even play October.

It's like when the new Star Wars movie comes out (I'm not a fan personally). I can't imagine the die hard fans bitching that the movie wasn't long enough. As long as the content is great and mind-blowing, that's all that matters.

As for no opening acts. I don't think it's a time thing. I just don't think that they want other roadies and musicians tinkering around on this new state of the art stage and using the screens and technology in advance of U2 taking the stage.

For the start of the tour, I think we could see shorter sets (110 min) as opposed to longer ones. Remember, Bono has had to go through intense rehab for his injuries, plus he had the whole back issue on the last tour, plus he's turning 55 on Sunday. They would probably be smart to start on the shorter side (much to our frustration), then to bust out 2 1/2 hours on opening night and then find out he can't handle it.

As for no opening acts. I don't think it's a time thing.

Yep. I don't know about that short, I'm sure they'll play at least 2:15, but given Bono's age, and his injuries, I'd be very surprised if they played longer shows. Happy, but surprised. They're older, one of them has just been seriously injured, they're playing multiple nights in the same city...what's the incentive for them to play LONGER shows then they have in the past. What, they get more energy as they get older?

And no one goes to a U2 show to see the opening act. They could charge more or less, play longer or shorter, and having or not having an opening act wouldn't matter in the least bit. No one cares, and no one is going to say, if they only play a 2:15 show..."wow, I really feel cheated. If only there had been an opening act." I think U2 probably just doesn't want to screw with it this time around.

And I think that fact we had bd leading into streets shows there will be something added between IMO

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The setlist will certainly be more than 20 songs. I wouldn't worry about that. It's not going to be 25-28 like people are hoping for, but probably 22-23.

Yeah. Those third leg Elevation shows were short. Bono's voice was pretty shot, and now his body is beat up instead.

We'll know in less than a week, so that's cool.

Maybe they should have a small Edge section of the show to give Bono a bit of an extra break along with the intermission. The band could do Numb, Van Diemen's Land, hell Edge could even play October.

It's like when the new Star Wars movie comes out (I'm not a fan personally). I can't imagine the die hard fans bitching that the movie wasn't long enough. As long as the content is great and mind-blowing, that's all that matters.

As for no opening acts. I don't think it's a time thing. I just don't think that they want other roadies and musicians tinkering around on this new state of the art stage and using the screens and technology in advance of U2 taking the stage.

by that theory they wouldn't have had opening acts for 360, Popmart or ZooTV either.

i don't buy the age thing. they are old for a rock group when it comes to playing on the radio, they are not old for a rock group performing live.

do i think they're going to break out 3+ hour long springsteen-like sets (he's 66, btw)? no. but i would certainly expect at least 2 1/2 hours out of them, especially for the prices they're charging.

we'll see how it plays out over the next week.

Even if it's only 20 songs, as long as they crank them out with the same energy and passion like we expect from a U2 concert everything will be just fine.

I was at opening night of Zoo TV in Lakeland. The show totally blew my mind, I came out of the arena all amped up and then I ran into people saying the show sucked because they didn't play Sunday or NY Day. No matter what some fans will be pissed off.

I think they will also save some of the new songs to debut in other cities. I can hear Bono now in LA, or Chicago, or New York " this is a new song we've never played live", and the crowd goes apeshit.

Let's be thankful that they are not a stage of their career where they are doing medleys of songs. If they were 10 years older, I could see a "Miami-New York-California" medley.

by that theory they wouldn't have had opening acts for 360, Popmart or ZooTV either.

i don't buy the age thing. they are old for a rock group when it comes to playing on the radio, they are not old for a rock group performing live.

do i think they're going to break out 3+ hour long springsteen-like sets (he's 66, btw)? no. but i would certainly expect at least 2 1/2 hours out of them, especially for the prices they're charging.

we'll see how it plays out over the next week.

You are sounding less excited by the minute

Call me crazy but I think almost everything on the new record is much better than this. In fact maybe everything on the new record is better. I never cared for The Sweetest Thing. I need to hear it live about as badly as I need to hear SIAMYCGOO and In a Little While again. Which means not at all.

This is what I meant. I also think any 5 bars of whatever song from new album is far better than Sweetest thing :)

I'm expecting no more than 2.5 hours, no less than 2 hours. The intermission should allow them to play slightly longer.

If it was the rehearsal next week when they let radio winners in then I would be concerned

As for Springsteen, I can't picture his fans camped out reporting dress rehearsal setlists minute by minute.

I'm a big Springsteen fan, but his concerts are totally different from U2 concerts. Honestly, there were a couple of his shows where I was checking my watch at the end wondering wtf. His concerts are like a big block party, and you listen to the old songs and you feel all nostalgic. U2 shows are an event, a complete spectacle of technology and music. When you come out of a great U2 show, you can literally feel drained, physically and emotionally.

You are sounding less excited by the minute

Nah not at all.

I'm still quite excited... I'm just a little surprised that the sets are coming in under 2 hours, especially when there's no opener and they've rehearsed so many songs.

I'm expecting a longer set come Thursday.

Nah not at all.

I'm still quite excited... I'm just a little surprised that the sets are coming in under 2 hours, especially when there's no opener and they've rehearsed so many songs.

I'm expecting a longer set come Thursday.

Think we will see next Wednesday when the radio winners get in, think that will be the real show

Some information of how dress rehearsals compared to the opening nights on the two previous tours.

On the 360 tour they did a dress rehearsal the night before the tour started. They played the same 22 songs each night.

U2 Concert Details - U2tours.com

On the Vertigo Tour they did a dress rehearsal two nights before the tour started. They played 21 songs on the rehearsal and 22 on the opening nights. The sets differed in order and some songs.

This dress rehearsal was 6 days before the start of the tour. I think there would be some changes on the setlist but I don't think they will play more than 22 songs.

There might be hope for Sweetest Thing haters out there. In the middle of the Elevation tour, Dallas Schoo told a group of fans that the band only play that song when Bono's wife is actually in town at the show. Maybe he's pulling it out again this tour for her, and I'm sure she'll be at the opening shows in Vancouver. After that it could just be a rarity for when she comes on the road.

That's cos him & his band are capable of pulling just about anything at any time, is that right?

I'm sure Springsteen and his band have rehearsals, and they can and do play just about anything at his shows. He'll even open his shows with a cover tune every once in a while.

I was only comparing the difference between U2 and Springsteen fans. I can't picture his fans getting all wrapped up in and fretting over what the setlist is going to be.

Just guessing here:

Tuesday should be the last rehearsal. One day off before the big opener. They might hit the rink every night for smaller type rehearsals until this final one on Tuesday where they do another 20 or so setlist. I'd like to believe that they have 23-24 songs a night in them when they kick off, but I'm not going to complain about a 20 song set should they do it. I do think they're training for the longer show. No expectations though. I left the stadium of a 360 show in 2011 thinking that it could of been my last U2 show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom