*Spoilers* - Rehearsals in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-Trying to Throw Your Arms Around The World(Tuesday only known airing so far)

-Sweetest Thing(Edge acoustic chord strums, band in the middle, some piano accents that could only be from Bono near the end)

After the recorded voice intro to Miracle Drug there is theStreets opening drone it features what appeared to be Edge singing a verse/chorus of Sting's Fields of Gold. I heard this same snippet/song grouping last week week but couldn't pick out the words/melody that were low in the mix. Similar to Bono doing the bible verse during the Streets intro a couple tours ago, but over a minute long.

Another transition that I heard tonight as well as last week was the acoustic Every Breaking Wave ending in a long note held by Bono going directly into Bullet. A very jarring transition that was similarly used early on ZooTv with Bad/AIWIY/Bullet.

There seems to be a 5 minute ZOOTV-esque intermission video(like flicking through the tv channels every few seconds). Could only heard political stuff(Obama/Condi Rice name checking) mixed in with some tiny Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK sound bites. I still don't know if the "intermission" is like the 5 minute Popmart Lemon video or they throw up the houselights for 20 minutes.
Great stuff. Thanks Peter, as always!

NLOTH was acoustic

Joey Ramone seems to be the concert opener

Ordinary seems to be a strong candidate to close out the evening.

Hand That Built America(mostly B&E acoustic, sounding like an early run through)
Meh. I want Invisible to open the first set. NLOTH should be electric. OL closing the show? Doubt it. They can keep Hands in the vault - I like the song but it slows down the show.

"I Wanna Be Sedated," in honor of the dose of general anesthesia that put Bono in a coma for 6 months.
:applaud:

Ordinary Love and Hand that Built America would be about the only songs mentioned so far that would be bathroom breaks for me.

No way Ordinary Love closes the show, and would be really shocked if it was in the encore, or even an every night song. If they closed with OL, that would be the all-time worst U2 concert closer ever. Would make me long for Vertigo x2.

Maybe then a Ramones track is their signal that the show is about to start.

I'd be willing to put money on that bet. I can so picture this. Maybe some old Ramones footage on the video screen.

And I am still hoping we hear "Gone." Maybe Bono is rehearsing it while taking a shower.

Really think that The Troubles will be in there somewhere, maybe even as the closer. Extended Edge outro, a la LIB.

The Troubles is a true closer.. which makes me think they won't close with Troubles.
That encore would be terrible.:doh:

Glad to hear about the NLOTH stuff. I wish that NLOTH (the song) would be electric, but it's not bad acoustic either.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I may not like a lot of the songs they are rehearsing, but I'm totally thrilled they are rehearsing all of them to begin with. Simply for the fact that maybe this tour we wont get setlists that are 95% carbon copies of each other every show. With all the material they are running through, I'm excited to see how many songs may change night to night.

Although there's definitely the sad possibility that they may just be trying as much as they can right now but will settle on a few of the rare rehearsed tracks and continue with the static setlists.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed though. :applaud:

For those of you talking about Noel Gallagher... .he has an SF show same night as SJ 1. Perhaps he might make an appearance?

there is theStreets opening drone it features what appeared to be Edge singing a verse/chorus of Sting's Fields of Gold. I heard this same snippet/song grouping last week week but couldn't pick out the words/melody that were low in the mix. Similar to Bono doing the bible verse during the Streets intro a couple tours ago, but over a minute long.

Fields of Gold into Streets?!!!! :drool: That might just become one of my top U2 concert moments...well, ever. Very, very cool. Quite possibly the best U2 news since they hired Brian and Danny for TUF. And I'm serious about that.

Thanks again for these amazing report Peter. Can't tell you how valuable it is to get this kind of reliable information from a credible source. We're really lucky to have you on here, and you deserve all the great shout outs you're getting.

... features what appeared to be Edge singing a verse/chorus of Sting's Fields of Gold. I heard this same snippet/song

WHAT

The thought of this thrills me! Great stuff, thanks for sharing!! I swore I wasn't going to read these posts anymore but I caved. I just won't watch videos...I'll try...3 more weeks for me

Complete Rehearsal List:

Boy - I Will Follow, Out of Control, Electric Co.
October -
War - Sunday Bloody Sunday
UF - Pride, Bad
JT - Streets, Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still
R&H - Desire, Angel of Harlem
AB - Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Until The End of the World, Mysterious Ways, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Zooropa -
Original Soundtracks I -
Pop - The Playboy Mansion
ATYCLB -
Beautiful Day, Elevation
HTDAAB - Vertigo, Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, One Step Closer
NLOTH - No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender
SOI - Every Breaking Wave, The Miracle, California, Song for Someone, Iris, Volcano, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road, The Troubles

Non-Album - Sweetest Thing, Hands That Built America, Ordinary Love, Invisible

- 41 tracks

Rumored - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, Johnny Cash Cover

Italics = Not Played on 360 Tour
Bold = Never Played At A Regular Gig

Songs Being Rehearsed That Have Never Been Performed Live: 5 ("The Playboy Mansion" and "One Step Closer" and "Iris" and "Raised By Wolves" and "The Troubles" )

Additional Old Songs Being Rehearsed That Weren't Played On The Last Tour: 6 ("The Electric Co." and "Bullet The Blue Sky" and "Running To Stand Still" and "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World" and "Sweetest Thing" and "The Hands That Built America")

And seconded on the return of NLOTH -- I would die a happy death if version 2 surfaced. (I am still pissed that I dont seem to have NLOTH2 in mp3 format anymore... )

It's available on iTunes. Go have another listen.

We're still drawing dead in terms of rarities sought after by the fans. There's a welcome return of some highlights from the Vertigo Tour along with a few other curiosities, but they've yet to even rehearse a single "rare" track for which fans have been actually begging.

It's a little disconcerting in some ways because we're only a few days away from when they're going to start locking in set lists and basically doing full run-throughs before the tour kicks off.

The only real surprise could come from the rumor that they've rehearsed songs prior to Vancouver in order to avoid fans being spoiled once the tour kicks off. But if that's not the case, I wouldn't expect that list of rehearsal songs to grow much bigger than the current 41.

There's also likely a few songs that have been rehearsed that we don't know about. It doesn't seem like there's always been an ear on the ground for every minute of rehearsal, so it's possible they worked through a few tracks earlier on that we don't know about.

Also telling is how many times a song is rehearsed. If they're working on a unique twist to a track like SBS or BTBS, then it's clear that they're doing so because it's part of the main set. Same goes for a song showing up multiple times in rehearsal. A track like "Still Haven't Found" showing up just once likely means it's in consideration to be a rotation choice rather than part of the set every single night.

opening night guess....

1 The Miracle
2 Volcano
3 Vertigo
4 The Electric Co.
5 Cedarwood Road
6 Iris
7 Every Breaking Wave
8 Bullet The Blue Sky
9 One Step Closer
10 Raised By Wolves
11 Song For Someone
12 City of Blinding Lights
Set 2
13 Invisible
14 Even Better Than The Real Thing
15 Desire
16 California
17 Mysterious Ways
18 Tryin To Throw Your Arms/Playboy Mansion
19 Pride
20 Sunday Bloody Sunday
21 Ordinary Love
22 Miracle Drug
23 Streets
24 I Will Follow
25 With or Without You
Encore
26 Beautiful Day
27 One
28 The Troubles

It is impossible to make everyone happy. The "fans" all want different things. No one is happy about 2 songs rehearsed that have never been played before. No one is happy they have rehearsed a record number of songs because they aren't want the "fans" want.

I am going to be thrilled just to see what they do next week. Whatever show I get is a gift and I am gracious to receive it.

Alright with the new info..let's have a go at this again..

The Miracle
Volcano
Vertigo
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Until The End Of The World
California
Elevation
I Will Follow
Cedarwood Road
Every Breaking Wave
Bullet The Blue Sky
Raised By Wolves
____

Invisible
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One Step Closer
City Of Blinding Lights
Desire
Miracle Drug
Where The Streets Have No Name
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
_
One
With Or Without You
Ordinary Love

for second shows sub in playboy mansion for one step closer, running to stand still for bad, electric co for i will follow, pride for sunday bloody sunday and magnificent for desire.

That's a pretty good take so far. I'm personally going to enjoy the second half of the show much more if it only has one SOI track (I imagine most of the new album's songs are front-loaded into the first half).

I think some of this rehearsal stuff will just get dropped entirely. "Playboy Mansion" may never appear again, for example. I do like the idea of Boy having three different tracks to swap out for, etc.

I'd expect the early shows to be relatively static. They might move things around in the first set if something doesn't appear to be working, but otherwise, those early gigs will probably just swap about three songs in-and-out of Set #2 night to night with Set #1/Encore being pretty much identical night in and night out for the first dozen or so offerings.

You didn't include "Iris" which is possibly dropped, certainly, but I think "The Troubles" probably will be in the setlist as a regular given that they had to go through the trouble to prepare a video/sound offering from Lykke Li just to rehearse it in the first place.

opening night guess....

1 The Miracle
2 Volcano
3 Vertigo
4 The Electric Co.
5 Cedarwood Road
6 Iris
7 Every Breaking Wave
8 Bullet The Blue Sky
9 One Step Closer
10 Raised By Wolves
11 Song For Someone
12 City of Blinding Lights
Set 2
13 Invisible
14 Even Better Than The Real Thing
15 Desire
16 California
17 Mysterious Ways
18 Tryin To Throw Your Arms/Playboy Mansion
19 Pride
20 Sunday Bloody Sunday
21 Ordinary Love
22 Miracle Drug
23 Streets
24 I Will Follow
25 With or Without You
Encore
26 Beautiful Day
27 One
28 The Troubles

are discounts available for those who want to skip the first part of the show?

Based on the rehearsed tracks, I'm glad that I'm only going to one show for now. As always, one track from the 90s that's not on Achtung Baby, four tracks from the first three albums combined, no TUF outside of Pride of Bad, the usual Joshua Tree tracks. The big surprises include Bomb of all albums. The non-album tracks chosen are largely among their weakest material. And I don't like SOI, though I'm curious to see how they improve the tracks.

If you like heartwarming, anthemic U2, the 41 tracks BigMacPhisto posted are for you. If they were going to go that route, I would rather them mine the deep cuts of TUF, Joshua Tree and R&H than Bomb. Who wouldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom