Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taymor has basically said in recent interviews that scenes with Arachne, the ones many were complaining about including the "shoe" song, were not going to be cut... she also recently said - i'm guessing in response to the harsh criticism of her writing skills - that a broadway show can be "spectacle"-based and does not have to rely on a "book" (which has caused a bit of a stir in some circles lol), so who knows...

Yikes! Here's the first of the reviews from a real theatre critic, and there will be more in the next few days. The Toronto Star is Canada's largest paper and Richard Ouzounian is a highly respected veteran theatre critic. Very bad news, I'm afraid. :sad:

Well that’s certainly an unequivocally awful -and hateful- review right here. I’m always amazed to see how little those professional critics have to say. Except telling us how they feel about a piece of art, considering it bad/great/excellent/awful/brilliant/*insert your favourite adjective here* and probably assuming that the whole world has the same tastes than them… They are basically unable to give a single compelling and objective argument to back up their thoughts. They certainly can express their pointless opinion very well with nice words and sentences but that’s about it :shrug:… And of course those guys who aren’t able to give a better analysis of a piece of art would like us to believe that they are qualified to know what should be changed or have been done in the first place? Well I couldn’t say why I disagree with him about the music because there is nothing to comment about a so vague and superficial "review".

This was my review of this review :wink:.

Taymor has basically said in recent interviews that scenes with Arachne, the ones many were complaining about including the "shoe" song, were not going to be cut... she also recently said - i'm guessing in response to the harsh criticism of her writing skills - that a broadway show can be "spectacle"-based and does not have to rely on a "book" (which has caused a bit of a stir in some circles lol), so who knows...

Ugh, you know what, you can have BOTH! And then you'd have a show people would respect.

went to see the show on Sat night.

if you are getting tix I would recommend as far forward as you can get in the dress circle (called flying circle for this show), then as far forward in the balcony as possible. I had front row center of the balcony. The flying goes from the stage and out and back in a circle. its at the height of the flying circle usually so if you are in the balcony they will be blocked for part of swing. I was able to see because I could lean over the edge, but if you are back you will miss part of it. they land on the balcony more than the flying circle so being in the back of the flying circle you will probably be blocked from those 'flights' at the end as they land on the platforms. the orchestra you would have to be turning around and looking up a bunch, but you wouldnt be blocked at all. The side boxes are probably the best overall view but I dont know what the sound would be like over there since people have complained about that.

As for the show, the sets are the best. the Toronto reviewer is an idiot for saying the cast gets lost because the sets are big. hello, the sets are of NYC buildings, thats the whole point. the buildings are big. besides they are just the back drop and didnt have an influence on the scale of the actors.

the choreography is great also. I love the way they incorporated the 'slow motion' of comics into the moves.

songs are good to great. nice B+. no blame should be put on Bono and the Edge. its not the greatest broadway music Ive ever heard, but its good.

the Green Goblin is awesome. dont know if its the character or if its Patrick Page, but its entertaining. he has a Macphisto edge to it and its ZooTVish with the use of screens.

the storyline, welll....

not the best. I had my wife give me her impressions since Ive been reading this thread and knew what people had issues with. she dindt know anything about the complaints. 1st thing she said was, the 2nd act is slowwwww compared to the 1st act. we didnt have much of an issue with Arachne, it was more the sinister six. I dont know if they reworked how Deeply Furious (the shoe song) is brought into the show, but the song is good and I dont think the incorporation of the song has much of an impact on the storyline (so thats why I think they eased its introduction).

the problem to me is that the sinister six stuff of the 2nd act seems so forced. it comes in at the start of the 2nd act out of nowhere and its jarring. its really 2 different stories not act 1 and act 2.

to me, they should (if possible) intertwine the 1st act and the 2nd act together. so you get some green goblin and then arachne/sinister six and then more green goblin and then more arachne. The 1st act is great and then next thing you know the green goblin is gone for most of the 2nd act and is replaced by the arachne/sinister six stuff. act 2 is just too jarring and the villains are not that interesting compared to the villain of act 1.

more of the storyline issues with some plot lines exposed:
basically its the Green Goblin causing chaos (act 1) and then the sinister six (controlled by arachne) causing chaos (act 2). Intertwined is the Peter Parker becoming Spiderman and the struggling to be spiderman/Peter Parker storylines which are great. acting is great, songs are great.

The way the Green Goblin is initially written off is way underwhelming anyway, so it could easily be cut and he could stay in the show more. thats part of the reason the sinister six is so forced. you hardly realize the Goblin is gone and now we have this whole new set of villains. you could have the green goblin and sinister six causing chaos together. you get more green goblin that way, you still work in the song Sinistereo (which seems to be the only reason for the sinister six). You still have the Arachne/sinister six story line that is Taymour and Bergers creation and will not be going anywhere. The Green Goblin doesnt even have a song credit in the 2nd act.

there would then be more cohesion between the 2 acts and the flow and incorporation of the Sinister Six could be more natural. the way it is now, its clear its the typical Spiderman storyline is Act 1 and then the Taymour/Berger book is act 2. and since act 2 isnt as good as act 1, the 'new' storyline is getting ripped, and appropriately so. make it 1 story with 2 acts and not 2 stories with 1 act each.

overall its good. I really only see the biggest shows about once a year or so on Broadway (rent, phantom, wicked kind of things) so Im not the best judge. I was entertained and I didnt hear anybody pissing on it on the way out. I heard one lady in her 60s or so say she thought it was great.

ohh and the asterisk with music credits to U2 for Boy falls from the sky has been taken out of the program.

Huh, interesting. So U2 is not mentioned? I wonder if Larry and Adam said "Yeah, we want to be as far removed from this thing as possible."

Ha.

Huh, interesting. So U2 is not mentioned? I wonder if Larry and Adam said "Yeah, we want to be as far removed from this thing as possible."

Ha.
Perhaps it's just to avoid any confusion. Some people thought that because of this asterisk BFFTS was the only song of the show written by Edge and Bono.

yeah I think that is more likely--avoiding confusion.

hell there was even confusion on this board for a minute so what do you think the average person was thinking??

So excited--we are taking my son for his 6th birthday on Saturday--1st row of the flying circle!!! This is something like the 3rd or 4th set of tickets we had satarting I believe for his 5th birthday

So excited--we are taking my son for his 6th birthday on Saturday--1st row of the flying circle!!! This is something like the 3rd or 4th set of tickets we had satarting I believe for his 5th birthday

those are the BEST SEATS!!! That is where I sat...your son will go crazy....enjoy

No news here, just a pic of Oprah getting a preview last Nov. No fair! :wink:

BonoEdgeOprah11-2010.jpg

:lol: You gotta love how laid back they are there, Oprah sneaking her arm around Edge & all.

^
They're probably getting high on blue crack, right there. Bono showed O how to do blue crack. :ohmy:
:bono::Okay, so this is Your Blue Room, the subforum devoted to band discussion. There's a board for the new album - that'd be Where The Album Has No Name, natch - Everything You Know Is Wrong, which is a more general board, and here's U2 360 Tour Cen-
Oprah: PLEBA? What's PLEBA?
:bono:: ...Actually, this is getting kind of boring, isn't it? Why don't we move on to the Lemonade Stand? It's an off-topic forum, see, and it's got subforums for music, movies, sports, and game threads...

Sorry, PLEBA, I couldn't resist. :hug:

One wonders how much Oprah has invested in the show...

I saw the matinee show on Wednesday as part of a birthday trip to Manhattan (yes, a Groundhog Day baby:sexywink: ) along with my girlfriend, a friend and his 9 year old son. The verdict: the adults thought the show was good (my GF described it as cool)...the child said it was awesome.

Acting: As pointed out by others, Patrick Page steals the show but all of the actors are very good.

Music: Better than I expected and better than I think a lot of people are giving Bono and Edge credit for. I can see why Bono wanted to record the music as a U2 project. At the very least, I hope we get to hear Bono/Edge versions of the songs someday (the inevitable ultimate U2 box set?). My take home song from the show was Rise Above. In the song Walk Away, is the music in the verses the same as one of the Achtung Baby outtake songs?

Seats: We were in the front row of the Flying Circle. Best seats in the theater, if you can get them. Great view of the stage and all of the aerial stunts.

Sets: Incredible. Best of any Broadway show that I've ever seen.

Book: Could still use some work. The show now has an ending (apparently it didn't before) so that's a plus. The first act is good to great. The second act is fair to good. The removal of the WTF shoe number would by itself improve act 2. Will Julie Taymor do any more tweaking before opening night now that it appears that the technical glitches are a thing of the past?

Critics: Some will have their long knives out but I would take the worst of them with a grain of salt (complaining about being able to see the wires...really??:doh:). Along with the star f###ing by Oprah and Leslie Stahl, it comes with the territory with something this big (and with the involvement of Bono, Edge and Julie T).

Bottom Line: I had great birthday checking out Spiderman, followed by dinnner at Keens (best steakhouse in NYC?) and my girl hooked me with #2530 of Wide Awake in Europe as part of my gift:up:

I think the show is going to be a success and make it to the touring stage (so don't be surprised when it closes down on March 16th:ohmy:)

Thanks bostonguy! I'm going to hang on to my hopes of catching a show this summer when I'm in town for 360.

We had a blast at Spidey today--oyr searts were literally directly in fronot of one of the landing platforms in the 1st row of the flying circle...My son was thrilled.

The show is a blast--I will agree that ACT 1 is definitely flowing better hten ACT 2--but both are still fun...there are some very cool songs and boy falls...is a very stirring moment--and very U2 sounding--there are lots of instances in the songs whre you just hear the "U2 sound"...

Reeves was not there today, but the understudy was very good. We did have a pause in the show for a technical glith right before the first big swinging scene, but the folks playing the "crooks" who were on stage at the time adlibbed some fun antics for the few minutes it took to straighten out...

I think the sets, fx, stunts, and music are great--and make for a blast at the therter--the story is fine and in my mind very comprehensible--if not earth shtatteringly awesome--it compiles elements from the fils, comics, and greek mythology in a fun mix...

Overall 6 thumbs up from my family, and a blast out for my sons 6th birthday

Well, it seems some major publications will be writing their reviews of the show in tomorrows paper, and most seem to have a negative opinion of the show even before they see it. For me, I see disaster written all over this.

Here is the link to the source: RIALTO CHATTER: Major SPIDER-MAN Reviews Coming Tomorrow! 2011/02/07

I almost wish Bono and the Edge had nothing to do with this show, that way I wouldn't have to defend it so much. Hate to be pesemistic, but it looks like tom. will be a gloomy day for all those involved with the production.

Haterade hasn't stopped this from topping or nearly topping the box office every week it's been out, it won't be a disaster.

I almost wish Bono and the Edge had nothing to do with this show, that way I wouldn't have to defend it so much.

I'm so glad they have decided to work on this because that's an amazingly interesting project, very ambitious while inherently controversial. Of course many people are going to hate it. A musical about Spiderman what a silly idea right? What is the audience for that: teenagers, geeks, fans of rock/musical/circus???? What a stupid idea really to try to mix things that have nothing to do with each other. Damn all those people involved must be so fuuuull of themselves and incompetent to dare to try to do something so out of place and choosing to keep this mess running with their own ideas instead of following the preconceived opinions of the clever critics on the Internet or on respectable newspapers.

I'm incredibly interested by this project because it tries to push boundaries and is a brilliant fuck off to the actual artistic conventions. I can't judge the whole show obviously but I love what it is trying to achieve like this score which is exactly what so many U2 fans wanted forever from this band, a very spontaneous record with songs not polished to death, quite challenging because very pop but with a subtle orchestration. Of course I can't see U2 playing those songs, they have been written to be interpreted by a crew not a rock band but I'm firstly a fan of their song-writing so that's ok I can wait for the new U2 album I'm quite busy right now listening to this amazing piece of music. A totally different one from everything they have composed before like their best works.

I think people really underestimate how important this project is for Bono and Edge. The fact that it is so unbalanced and awkward at first sight is what gives it the potential to be so special. If they manage to make it work like they want it to be it will be a fantastic achievement. But of course it is difficult to defend it. There is no simple way to explain something that isn't supposed to be easily classified and explained to begin with.

wow... Charles Spencer from The Telegraph has written a pretty scathing one-star review... Patrick Page's improvisation made me chuckle i have to say... plus i find the comment about the lack of humour throughout the show very worrying too...

Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark - the not-so-super hero of Broadway

After the official press night of a troubled musical based on the classic Marvel comic book is postponed - yet again - The Daily Telegraph's theatre critic loses patience and buys a ticket to find out whether the show is as bad as they say. The answer: Yes, it is.

Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark
Foxwoods Theatre, New York

Never mind turning off the dark. I spent much of this dreadful new musical muttering Please, Lord, make it stop.
And sometimes, miraculously, it did. Though the show has been previewing since last November, and audiences are being charged almost $300 for a top price ticket, the performance I saw on Saturday night twice ground to a halt in the first half. "Sorry folks, just a moment and we'll be back with you," a harassed voice announced over the public address system as the chief villain of the piece, the Green Goblin, dangled helplessly over the audience for several minutes, stuck on the wire on which he was supposed to be flying.
Just a few minutes earlier he and Spidey had to improvise to fill another hiatus as something else went wrong and the show was stopped. Spider-Man poured himself a glass of stage champagne only to receive a stern warning from the goblin. "Careful," said the actor Patrick Page. "You've got to fly over the heads of the audience and I hear they dropped a few," he joked in a reference to the accidents that have bedevilled this production, landing several actors in hospital with serious injuries. It was, by some distance, the most entertaining moment of the entire show.
After numerous postponements, Spider-Man still doesn't officially open until next month, but theatre critics are now breaking the embargo, deciding it is ridiculous not to review a show that has already been running for more than two months, and is doing huge business at the box office.

Technical hitches aside, there is no time to make major improvements now, and the musical strikes me as being beyond salvation.
The director Julie Taymor, who was responsible for the hugely enjoyable stage version of Disney's The Lion King, has come up with a dire script in collaboration with Glen Berger. Not only does she drag the ancient Greek myth of Arachne into the storyline, a brilliant weaver who was turned into a spider by the goddess Athena, she has also added a Geek Chorus (geddit?) of nerdy comic-book fans who are supposed to be making up the narrative as the show progresses. As a result the production often seems both baffling and pretentious. We are a long way here from the guilty pleasures of the Marvel comic-books and the terrific Spider-Man movies.
There's a leaden lack of humour about most of the script, and though the flying sequences are exciting when they work (and even more fun when they don't) there is nothing here to match the thrills, skills and sheer imagination of Cirque du Soleil at its best.
But perhaps the biggest bummer of all is the score, written by Bono and The Edge from U2, and containing not a single memorable song in the course of the show's punishing two-and-three-quarter hours. Simultaneously grandiose and banal, the music never really rocks and sounds like a series of rejected demos for an album that never got made. Sure, it creates a moody film-noir atmosphere at times, but where are the big take-home tunes?
The designs are impressive, conjuring up a dystopian vision of New York, and the cast perform as if they really believe in the dire material they are lumbered with. Reeve Carney has a winning charm and moments of real anguish as Peter Parker, the reluctant super-hero; Jennifer Damiano makes a sexy, spirited heroine as his girlfriend Mary Jane Watson and Page proves a splendidly camp over-the-top villain as the mad scientist Norman Osborn who is transformed into the even nastier Green Goblin.
Unfortunately none of their game efforts are enough to save this 65-million-dollar sinking ship, which goes down with all hands.

* One star

Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark - the not-so-super hero of Broadway - Telegraph

I'm incredibly interested by this project because it tries to push boundaries and is a brilliant fuck off to the actual artistic conventions.

it's fine "pushing boundaries and being a brilliant fuck off to artistic conventions", but surely it has to at least be decent in order to fly (scuse the pun)... and i don't know if it's really pushing any boundaries - it's all been done by Cirque, theme parks (lol), etc. before, with less hype and less money for a start!

powerhour24 said:
Haterade hasn't stopped this from topping or nearly topping the box office every week it's been out, it won't be a disaster.

Its not hatred, its reality. I saw the show. I wanted it to be good. It wasn't. It had potential, but the second act needed a major league overhaul, specifically the elimination of the arachne story line.

Some might like the storyline... that's fine. There are some u2 fans that would worship bono's poop if he popped a squat on their coffee table. But the overall consensus is that its no good. Taymor just refuses to give in on this. And this is why the show stinks.

Why is it doing so well? Its a spectacle. Its got a ton of hype. It will continue to do well for a little while.

Then the real open will happen, and the real reviews will be out there, and people will realize that there are soooooooo many better shows out there and not spend their money on this mess.

Not to mention that a major key to longterm success is repeat customers. I get the feeling there wont be too many of them.

Kill the spider now. Put him out of his misery. I thought u2 were against torture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom