Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dessert puns aside for a moment..

I heard some things that suggest we shouldn't expect too much of a sonic/structural departure for the first SoS single. I imagine we're going to get it some point in early fall and some folks are getting to hear it now.

I'm guessing it'll probably lead to all kinds of "what's the point" comments here, and elsewhere.

As has been already suggested, there are other tunes on the album that really are pretty different. so let's not lose our collective shit. We know this band doesnt have a stellar track record for first singles as of late...

Last edited:
non sequitur - found this super cool jam I've never heard before.. Elevation tour soundcheck?

non sequitur - found this super cool jam I've never heard before.. Elevation tour soundcheck?

Damn. Would be interesting to see the band record soundchecks and create something from them like New Adventures in Hi Fi, IMO one of REM's finest albums, and their best from the 90's. Scott Litt would be a hell of a choice for producer as well.

Dessert puns aside for a moment..

I heard some things that suggest we shouldn't expect too much of a sonic/structural departure for the first SoS single. I imagine we're going to get it some point in early fall and some folks are getting to hear it now.

I'm guessing it'll probably lead to all kinds of "what's the point" comments here, and elsewhere.

As has been already suggested, there are other tunes on the album that really are pretty different. so let's not lose our collective shit. We know this band doesnt have a stellar track record for first singles as of late...

This is odd to me... not sure how a song like Streets wouldn't have to be changed pretty dramatically to be "reimagined". Still trying to wrap my head around that...

This is odd to me... not sure how a song like Streets wouldn't have to be changed pretty dramatically to be "reimagined". Still trying to wrap my head around that...

Exactly. If it’s not totally different, then it’s like, “why would you do that?” Even if it becomes some EDM thing, at least that’s hearing the song in a new way.

Yes, I’ll wait to actually hear it before coming her to register my discontent.

Apparently the new recording has been sent to DJs to compile remixes of it, so we probably will get some EDM-type version alongside the single release.

But I agree that if the recording is very close to the original, it begs the question of what was the point?

Streets has had some small structural changes live of the years, new chorus bass line, and the last minute or two differ a bit from the album version. Maybe they feel they should capture those things in studio, and it’s a safe single because it’s a classic song. Can’t say I agree with the logic, but there you go.

I wonder if Streets will get a band-remixed edm/house treatment ala We Are the People

So the song would be edge pretending to play guitar over a fake drumbeat and bass line ?? ;)

I’m willing to bet they’ve at least been pitched the idea of Streets as a new EDM version featuring a verse from a trans artist as the lead single.

Been out of the loop for some time, so wasn't sure what folks were talking about here. Googled for it and found this:
We are being told that U2 have delivered a full album of newly recorded versions of old U2 songs to Universal Music. The album is tentatively penciled in for a November 18, 2022 release date. It is expected that the album will be released in all the usual formats, and there will likely be some special limited versions of the album pressed. The album is being referred to as Songs of Surrender.

Recording of the album started after U2 finished their most recent tour in December 2019, and was finished throughout last year. The album will feature U2 songs from throughout their entire career, recorded in new ways. This includes new arrangements and reworkings of the songs, and yes, some acoustic recordings have been mentioned. We are told that will be a single disc with 14-15 tracks in total, but there will also be additional formats.

Adam Clayton first mentioned the project in 2021 in an interview with Rocky O’Riordan on U2 X-Radio, “Well, you know we are playing around with rearranging some of the songs that we have and setting them in a more acoustic environment. Edge got a bit of a bee in his bonnet and said you know, no pun intended, said lets look at these songs and imagine them in a different context. So we are playing around with that. He’s putting a lot of work into changing the keys, and moving them onto piano and that sort of thing. And hopefully we will have something towards the end of the year that will show a different light on U2. I think it’s an opportunity to explore different versions of the band in a way. Because it’s very much the early days, it’s embryonic, it could go somewhere between Leonard Cohen or Johnny Cash – very stripped down and bare – towards something that is very lush. Very hard to say where it will end up or if it will all end up with the same tone across it, or if each song will be treated differently. I’m excited to see how the songs could exist in a different universe.”

Later he appeared on the Rockoneteurs podcast and mentioned, “We have been recording acoustic versions of some of our catalog in different keys and different tempos just as a challenge.” In November 2021, he spoke about the project with O Globo, saying that the new interpretations “breathe new life into the songs.” At that point he wasn’t sure if the songs would be released as one project or as a series of ‘events.’

Fuck me, that sounds ghastly. It's like they're actively trying to ruin their legacy. And I'm generally pretty supportive of the band (and love a lot of their recent stuff), but this sounds like an asinine idea. U2 is quintessentially a sonically rich band. Stripping all that away to reimagine songs (with a lead vocalist who doesn't have those rock-God pipes anymore) is just....:doh:

Back
Top Bottom