Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a volcano fan but live is where this song could really take off!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Volcano... I think that they successfully walked a very thin line between a great rock song and a boots ghost remake.
Imho it starts too "poppish" but then it improves.

Volcano... I think that they successfully walked a very thin line between a great rock song and a boots ghost remake.
Imho it starts too "poppish" but then it improves.

What similarities do you see between Volcano and Boots?

He was on my list of 'quityerbitcheneverybodyhaskids' too. He's been a dad forever! (And is pretty adorable about it, too.)

What similarities do you see between Volcano and Boots?

Not "musical" similarities... Not sure how to say it.

I feel like in both songs they're trying hard to sound too rockers, but they end up sounding very poppish ("pop" like in "bland/generic", not "pop" like in Mofo). Not sure if that makes sense. Same with the Miracle.

But unlike Boots/SUC they managed to avoid going there this time.

Sorry, but i cannot DISAGREE more with Musikwala

Volcano...disposable dumb rock track...??? All I can say...this is the dumbest opinion I´ve heard in a long time, that song has everything, it is a bloody fuckin rocknroll monster, probably made on Venus :)

Waves... you can make up any complaints you want, but in the end, it´s a mindblowing masterpiece, period.

California...whatta fresh and light hearted upbeat song, that doesn´t feel forced, I´m so happy for the production with the use of synths, it is so boring to have everywhere guitars, thanks to that the chorus has more space

Complaining about a gem like Unknown Caller is only sympthomatic...

Did you even read my review properly before calling my opinion dumb? My post was overwhelmingly positive about the new album as a whole including those songs you have mentioned. Try to read before replying please.

Sent from my GT-I9060 using U2 Interference mobile app

"Almost" being a 3 year difference, which is a decent amount, considering another album might be out before that margin.

Yeah, it fits better if we compare it with Boy --> Zooropa, which is impressive anyway.

I guess I could have said the difference between Boy and Pop and Pop and SOI.

17 years each?

Imho it sounds less impressive.

The difference between Boy and Pop (or Zooropa for that matters) is huge in many ways... they not only released 8/9 albums and a movie in that time, but the band went through War, then reinvented themselves with TUF/TJT, they came out of being an underground band and became the biggest band in the world, then they shocked everybody with Achtung Baby, different sound, different image, different attitude and even more success. By the time they reached Zooropa or Pop you're talking about a whole different band.

The difference between ATYCLB and SOI is... not that big.

Imho it sounds less impressive.

The difference between Boy and Pop (or Zooropa for that matters) is huge in many ways... they not only released 8/9 albums and a movie in that time, but the band went through War, then reinvented themselves with TUF/TJT, they came out of being an underground band and became the biggest band in the world, then they shocked everybody with Achtung Baby, different sound, different image, different attitude and even more success. By the time they reached Zooropa or Pop you're talking about a whole different band.

The difference between ATYCLB and SOI is... not that big.

I agree! Album production has definitely slowed since Pop. But I think it has to do a lot with touring.

It took about two years after Popmart ended for ATYCLB to release. About 3 years after Elevation ended for HTDAAB to arrive. Only two years after Vertigo ended for NLOTH to arrive. Gosh, I remember how much NLOTH material they wrote right after Vertigo ended in Fez. That was kind of quick. Three years for SOI to get finished after 360 ended. And that's after dropping a bunch of material?

In retrospect, Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, and Pop took 1-1.5 years each to complete after previous tours?

It seems, at least to me, that they haven't really slowed down that much since Achtung Baby. On average 6-12 months longer album production? The large gaps between the latest albums seem to be attributable to long tours? I would like them to have shorter tours, so that they can record more, reinvent more (if they still can).

The dust is settling and unfortunately the album is sinking into "meh" territory fast for me much like nloth. Here's to hoping SOE packs more of a punch.

The dust is settling and unfortunately the album is sinking into "meh" territory fast for me much like nloth. Here's to hoping SOE packs more of a punch.

Thats too bad. I'm still loving it, although I don't listen to it non-stop as I was the initial month and a half.

I still feel this is an amazing album but perhaps that will change with time.....doubt it though :)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I played some of the songs to my dad, who hasn't heard a full U2 album since ATYCLB. He enjoyed them, but was surprised at how slow some of the songs were.

Cannot relate whatsoever. It gets better with each listen. Sorry it's no longer working for you.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom