Songs of Experience - Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the talk of producers and stuff, don't you agree that the production on SOI was quite...eh? The Troubles sounds really pretty with the strings, but overall the album's always felt a bit, with lack of a better word, empty.

That's all good and dandy sometimes, it kinda works with stuff like Song For Someone that wants to be this genuine love song that sounds like it was written sitting on a bed with an acoustic guitar. But when the songs want to be exciting rock songs it falls extremely flat to me. The Miracle builds towards something and then the chorus is just an anticlimactic bunch of nothing that sounds really weak; Volcano has a sweet bass and I'm glad it's in the forefront, but again the chorus doesn't take off like it should; Raised By Wolves has a quite powerful drive in its core, but the instrumental is so weak and Bono's voice too loud in the mix. Overall I think too many of the songs are too midtempo to be so stripped from all other elements but the very basic vocals, guitar, bass and drums. Cedarwood Road is perhaps the prime example of this, and sounds really clunky and aimlessly meandering for it in my opinion. A very admirable thing to want to strip the music down to let the songwriting speak for itself, mind you, but I don't think SOI is strong enough overall in its melodies to carry it through that, or as much "rock" and back to the roots as they seem to want to perceive it. There was a lot more uptempo songs in the early albums, and so it worked to keep it quite basic and not add a bunch of superfluous elements because the energy alone was enough.

So whatever they're doing now I hope they either truly commit to uptempo rock or pop and keep the production unobtrustive, or they make something more sonically interesting, because that's what I think works with the more midtempo stuff. Well, unless you happen to have a songwriting masterpiece on your hands in that tempo, but The Miracle, Volcano and Cedarwood Road are hardly that. Especially not The Miracle. Why did they choose that song for lead single, and not the infinitely superior single material Every Breaking Wave?

Last edited:
U2.com - Bono: "Normally we get lost in the music. This time, we lost the music."

God damnit haha

Edit: September people, September. 2 years on the nose. I'm calling it once again. I'd expect a short turnaround... announce + single in late August -> Release September -> Tour later

Last edited:
If U2 are looking for a producer of bad music who's in an awful band to cast out ideas that don't sound modern they're playing a dangerous game, one that quality is unlikely to survive.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

I'd actually love to hear the band take a chance with a lesser known producer again, like they did with Lanois.

For example, he may not be a big name, but John Congleton is one of the most in-demand producers today. He's done albums for a ton of indie bands, like Modest Mouse, St. Vincent, Sigur Ros, The Roots, Swans, David Byrne, Brian Wilson and many more. Everything I've heard him produce sounds great and he can fit into virtually any style of music. It'd be nice to see a less-than-obvious choice like that again.

Music isn't as valued as it once was by the masses. People bitch and complain (share their feelings) via social media. I don't think on a commercial level people communicate via music anymore. I don't think a lesser known producer or musical structure other than what's catchy now a days matters anymore other than to fans like us. I think we're not only u2 fans but genuine music fans. We're not the norm.

Sorry if I'm talking out of my ass. Had a few "pints".

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last Facebook posts show the whole band together and in Ireland.
Has them recording in Dublin usually been at the end (or any particular stage) of the recording process? Or is it pretty arbitrary where they finish up?

It's honestly pretty arbitrary.

They have recorded an enormous amount between the leftovers they almost had ready to release before SOI, recording for a year on the road, now 6 months since the tour ended. If they aren't ready soon, they never will be

SOE is out! ... But it's the last track on the new Richard Ashcroft album ;) Probably he was as impatient as we are :D

We might get some SoE news on Tuesday (or a day earlier): A Modern Classic – Get Q's special edition 30th birthday issue! - Q MagazineQ Magazine
I4UNPZl.jpg

Lovely photo of Bono- anyone know when this will be out in the states? I know it's usually delayed a few weeks. I'll take a stroll over to my local Barnes and Noble and pick one up.

Last Facebook posts show the whole band together and in Ireland.
Has them recording in Dublin usually been at the end (or any particular stage) of the recording process? Or is it pretty arbitrary where they finish up?

Don't get too excited... Adam was in London last night for the Radiohead gig, according to Instagram. I think that he is mainly based out of London now, mostly due to his wife and her work.

It's honestly pretty arbitrary.

They have recorded an enormous amount between the leftovers they almost had ready to release before SOI, recording for a year on the road, now 6 months since the tour ended. If they aren't ready soon, they never will be

Ah ok, no big deal then.

On the plus side, we've seen a fair few social media posts of them recording, and they're all together (not just bono and edge messing around on song ideas).

So they seem to be properly in album-making mode. That, coupled with rumored tour dates being pushed back, suggests they're pretty focused on getting SoE out.

Until we hear another "lost in the music"/'panic and bring in pop producers moment (based on the assumption they've already got Tedder to produce, and it's mostly *new* songs rather than SoI leftovers, suggests they already had those moments a while back), I'd guess September ish for a release.

Don't get too excited... Adam was in London last night for the Radiohead gig, according to Instagram. I think that he is mainly based out of London now, mostly due to his wife and her work.

It's weird. They're clearly serious about getting SoE done (I believe if they weren't, they'd have prioritised/announced the next tour leg by now). And yet, they seem to be going in and out of the studio at a very casual pace, going their separate ways a lot.

Like others have suggested, it's probably a case of their social media posts just not telling the whole story. They could all be together and just not post about it. Or one of them could go to London, and not mention the others. I dunno.

Either way, they apparently wrote almost a completely new album since late 2015, so they've probably been together more than they let on.

You saw Pink Floyd in 1970 and Bowie in 72? Lucky fucker! How many U2 tours have you seen? I really love hearing about shows that people older than me have seen. It amazes me that Pink Floyd were as huge as they were. If they made that same music today it would be released on Drag City or something and they'd be playing clubs.

Hey there, HI :wave:

Before I get to U2
I'll make a list of of the best concerts I saw (esp since I don't which performers you like) and fill in details on any u find extra interesting- if you want. I stated early at 12 yes old taken by adults till I was 15- 16 (depending on location)

The Beatles '65, '66
The Who '69 Tommy
The Who '71 Who's Next

2 anti-vietnam war benefit concerts
Concert for Bangladesh

The original CBGB's bands
Television, Patti Smth Group, Talking Heads, The Ramones, Blondie '76 onward
The Clash

Springsteen/E St '76 onward (in theaters at first)
Midnight Oil
No Nukes
(plenty more shows of other performers)

Now for U2 :)
83 a bit of soundcheck Adam starting up NYD, w Edge coming in in piano
84 Radio City Music Hall ?an Amnesty Intl benefit
85 first MSG shows (was soooo proud of them!)
87 JT in long island (shut out of MSG shows =/ )

the 90- 93 recession hit which messed up my money)
a friend gave me a ticket when another person couldn't go so....
93 ZOO TV (paid her back later)

worse stuff happened in 94, 95 so my 30 yr run of heavy concert going stopped :(
but a relative floats me $ which takes me a long time to pay back for a few shows
(usually U2 & Bruce) So...

01 MSG Elevation tour (including the first night of their post 9-11 tour)
04? the MTV Brooklyn Bridge show
05 MSG Bomb tour
09 2NLOTH 2 shows (old) Giants Stadium and my first GA! after yes of trying! :ohmy:
11 Met Life Stadium, and 1 show in Philly (2nd GA)
15 MSG SOI

As far as other bands - I've basically sat outside of outdoor shows If he weather was below about 90°F and not humid! Unfortunately that messed up a bunch of shows and did not go .
Did hear Arcade Fire, The National, maybe a few more.

Last edited:
Lol closest I came to pink Floyd was roger waters the wall concert in Vancouver I believe in 2010 or 12 ish? Fucking amazing! So I can't imagine how awesome it would have been a full band concert! As for u2:

popmart Toronto
elevation Toronto
City of blinding lights video shoot ( extra)
Vertigo Vancouver
360 Vancouver
360 Seattle (almost killed me due to a car accident on way home lol)
Ie Vancouver

Hey there, HI :wave:

Before I get to U2
I'll make a list of of the best concerts I saw (esp since I don't which performers you like) and fill in details on any u find extra interesting- if you want. I stated early at 12 yes old taken by adults till I was 15- 16 (depending on location)

The Beatles '65, '66
The Who '69 Tommy
The Who '71 Who's Next

2 anti-vietnam war benefit concerts
Concert for Bangladesh

The original CBGB's bands
Television, Patti Smth Group, Talking Heads, The Ramones, Blondie '76 onward
The Clash

Springsteen/E St '76 onward (in theaters at first)
Midnight Oil
No Nukes
(plenty more shows of other performers)

Now for U2 :)
83 a bit of soundcheck Adam starting up NYD, w Edge coming in in piano
84 Radio City Music Hall ?an Amnesty Intl benefit
85 first MSG shows (was soooo proud of them!)
87 JT in long island (shut out of MSG shows =/ )

the 90- 93 recession hit which messed up my money)
a friend gave me a ticket when another person couldn't go so....
93 ZOO TV (paid her back later)

worse stuff happened in 94, 95 so my 30 yr run of heavy concert going stopped :(
but a relative floats me $ which takes me a long time to pay back for a few shows
(usually U2 & Bruce) So...

01 MSG Elevation tour (including the first night of their post 9-11 tour)
04? the MTV Brooklyn Bridge show
05 MSG Bomb tour
09 2NLOTH 2 shows (old) Giants Stadium and my first GA! after yes of trying! :ohmy:
11 Met Life Stadium, and 1 show in Philly (2nd GA)
15 MSG SOI

As far as other bands - I've basically sat outside of outdoor shows If he weather was below about 90°F and not humid! Unfortunately that messed up a bunch of shows and did not go .
Did hear Arcade Fire, The National, maybe a few more.

You've already done what I'd do with a time machine. You were the perfect age to see all the best bands at their peaks. Lucky you had such good taste!

I was wondering if U2 would be in Ireland when Bruce was playing Croke Park. That's awesome that Bono joined him onstage again! Because the Night was the predictable choice, but I've never been a setlist complainer, so whatever!

Seriously folks, what are we gonna do when U2 and Springsteen and all the other awesome artists quit touring? Will there come a day when Coldplay are the only band that can play arenas?

It's like some of you guys don't even listen to music outside of U2 or something.

I'd rather my favourite bands didn't reach the heights of playing arenas anyway. Much prefer an intimate club gig. Far less cost or stress, and more interaction with the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom