Songs of Experience - Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Above all else, it is fairly clear that SOMETHING is happening. Whether that translates to a record is a leap at this stage - but signs are certainly as encouraging as they have been/could be.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Jacknife Lee is an awful producer. A band that's spent so much time with Eno, Lanois, and Flood ought to have higher standards.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

I've seen shows in big and small venues, and it always seemed to me that the quality of the act and the audience response was the determining factor as to whether or not it was a good show. Plus, lots of acts that have reputations for being good attract larger audiences because they are good thus necessitating larger venues.

Not terribly familiar w/ Jacknife Lee's resume to draw any sort of conclusion as to what "sound" he brings to the production table, but I like what he did w/ REM, so there's that.
Still clinging to some diaphanous thread that Danger Mouse will be more than a footnote in U2's production history :v

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

I believe that the person Who made the Best job in the songs-of-innocence-era was...... CHRIS MARTIN... Yep he helped a lot in "ordinary love" the only track that made the charts and made a remarkable job on the general overview of the band.. What you think?

Not terribly familiar w/ Jacknife Lee's resume to draw any sort of conclusion as to what "sound" he brings to the production table, but I like what he did w/ REM, so there's that.
Still clinging to some diaphanous thread that Danger Mouse will be more than a footnote in U2's production history :v

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app
I'm afraid the only Danger Mouse production we will ever see on a U2 album is in name only from stuff that he's already worked on.

I've seen shows in big and small venues, and it always seemed to me that the quality of the act and the audience response was the determining factor as to whether or not it was a good show. Plus, lots of acts that have reputations for being good attract larger audiences because they are good thus necessitating larger venues.
Pshht an artist stops being good once they can sell out an arena. You should know that by now.

The smaller the venue the better the show. I've seen a few bands play different sized venues and the best one has always been the smallest.

Better sound, better crowd, better performance.

Plus, lots of acts that have reputations for being good attract larger audiences because they are good thus necessitating larger venues.

Nonsense. We should all know by now that the quality of an act and its popularity have very little relationship. Striking it big depends on a much wider range of factors than how good you are.

Nonsense. We should all know by now that the quality of an act and its popularity have very little relationship. Striking it big depends on a much wider range of factors than how good you are.

Well, obviously. Everyone agrees that popularity does not make something great, but it cuts both ways. Just because something is small doesn't mean it's by default better, more pure, or speaks more highly of the person who purchased the ticket. I had thought we had gotten past that kind of self-congratulatory snobbery.

Most bands want an audience, and they want to put on a good show. Often, when people hear about good shows, they want to purchase tickets to see the show.

Last edited:
Agree look at all the shit music and artists out there being played to death on radio! Popularity and radio play don't equal quality or the artist being good! Most modern music played in radio today is utter crap yet many of these artists sell out shows!

Agree look at all the shit music and artists out there being played to death on radio! Popularity and radio play don't equal quality or the artist being good! Most modern music played in radio today is utter crap yet many of these artists sell out shows!

And many artists who are terrible sell hardly any tickets at all!

I believe that the person Who made the Best job in the songs-of-innocence-era was...... CHRIS MARTIN... Yep he helped a lot in "ordinary love" the only track that made the charts and made a remarkable job on the general overview of the band.. What you think?

SsLkoMZ.gif

There actually aren't a ton of modern acts who tour well on their own. The touring charts are still dominated by older acts.

I'm afraid the only Danger Mouse production we will ever see on a U2 album is in name only from stuff that he's already worked on.

Please stop... the cruel inevitability of this post coming to fruition is too disappointing to lament right now :/
...Not to discredit the overall quality of SoI (yeah, i still think it's pretty great), but rather I believe it speaks to the strength of the DM-only produced tracks from the SoI era that those are the tunes I keep coming back to the most--there's an assuredness to the songs, a level of complete confidence in their performances despite the unfamiliar sonic territory... ugghhhh, the two just seemed to work so well together, far surpassing my expectations :v

I guess all I'm really saying is that I'm a petulant child, and it frustrates me that an artist I enjoy is likely pursuing a direction that I, personally, deem less preferable... all the while not really knowing what direction they're taking. Yeah, kind of a lot of words for a whole lot of nothin' :p

There actually aren't a ton of modern acts who tour well on their own. The touring charts are still dominated by older acts.

yeah I see more bundled shows (like featuring multiple artists) and festivals often. and its also true that older acts really do well these days in terms of touring. i mean, look at how much crowds Metallica got recently, though they haven't released good album since....i don't know, Black album.

For my part, I just have a really hard time finding bands I like as much, or anywhere close to U2... There are currently two or three bands, and none is at U2 level, but I enjoy their music enough to want to see them live and look forward to their next album. For the rest, I couldn't care less. I'd be thrilled to find more bands I thoroughly enjoy, but I think U2 just set the bar too high. I guess I'm spoiled.

you will eventually start listening to some of the shittiest/raddest experimental jazz records and ambient minimal techno.

Jacknife Lee is an awful producer. A band that's spent so much time with Eno, Lanois, and Flood ought to have higher standards.

God, it really is depressing isn't it? And they'll probably never work with Eno again because his work on NLOTH failed to make them "relevant". My personal expectations for U2 are completely different to how they were 20+ years ago. The bar has been set so low, Bono could hit his head on it.

God, it really is depressing isn't it? And they'll probably never work with Eno again because his work on NLOTH failed to make them "relevant".

His work with REM, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, etc has been good, but when you have Taylor Swift or One Direction on your resume you are automatically bad. :rolleyes:

They should branch out from Eno. I have a gut feeling Eno was part of the reason they ditched the original Morocco recordings, I could be wrong but his response in the making of calling in "world music" put a bad taste in my mouth. I just think it was time, his work as of late hasn't been very good.

Last edited:
His work with REM, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, etc has been good, but when you have Taylor Swift or One Direction on your resume you are automatically bad.

I don't get this at all. He's a producer. You don't like Taylor Swift or One Direction. Does that make his role as a producer on those records as both automatically bad and damning to his quality?

It's okay to like a producer and not like the kind of music he has produced. Jackknife Lee's success goes far deeper than everything you've even mentioned to this point.

I don't get this at all. He's a producer. You don't like Taylor Swift or One Direction. Does that make his role as a producer on those records as both automatically bad and damning to his quality?

It's okay to like a producer and not like the kind of music he has produced. Jackknife Lee's success goes far deeper than everything you've even mentioned to this point.

Um, perhaps I should have used an eyeroll emoji with my comment. That is not my opinion, I was making fun of Hollow's comment.

Ironically enough, I'd say that especially when you dislike Swift or 1D, it's impressive that he can make them popular while it's such shitty music, and according to mainstream internet they have no talent, so he must have exceptional qualities then. :wink:

That said I love me some TS and am a big Snow Patrol fan so I'm pretty okay with this dude.

His work with REM is terrible. They are by far the worst produced REM albums. Had any if REM's previous producers worked on those albums they'd have been great instead of just good.

Snow Patrol are an awful band; working with them should automatically bar him from working with someone as good as U2 have been.

Then there's the horrible work with Bloc Party... and U2. Go look at his resume, he's never made a good record! Well that's not true; he was part of the Taylor Swift Red crew, and Crystal Castles are fine but producers don't have much impact on them. But man, the Weezer records he worked on...ugh! Silversun Pickups worst stuff...can't be a coincidence artist's worst stuff is done with him.

His work with REM is terrible. They are by far the worst produced REM albums. Had any if REM's previous producers worked on those albums they'd have been great instead of just good.

Well that's not true; he was part of the Taylor Swift Red crew, and Crystal Castles are fine but producers don't have much impact on them.

Well which one is it? :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom