Songs of Ascent V - The Final Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bono might be in France right now.... playing loud music... :hmm:

bonoparty20091.jpg

:shifty: whose on the beach clip thing? :hyper:

lol. where did you get that picture?

A quick thought: someone voiced surprise that U2 would even tentatively commit to an album date/time frame with the tour already booked. I actually think this might be (if they stick with June) the best thing that can happen to the new album.

Yep, that worked out well in 1997. :doh:

A quick thought: someone voiced surprise that U2 would even tentatively commit to an album date/time frame with the tour already booked. I actually think this might be (if they stick with June) the best thing that can happen to the new album. The last decade has been the decade of completely open-ended album making. No real pressure from studios (like in the early days) or to fit into tour schedules. Just taking their time. I think we could see some really creative and great music come out of this if U2 are working under the gun--even if they already have most of the album completed. No over-thinking, just inspiration and album release. Could be interesting.

This.

good post bram. i think this could even go a step further and change the band's minset for future albums IF this next album is seen as a success critically.

A quick thought: someone voiced surprise that U2 would even tentatively commit to an album date/time frame with the tour already booked. I actually think this might be (if they stick with June) the best thing that can happen to the new album. The last decade has been the decade of completely open-ended album making. No real pressure from studios (like in the early days) or to fit into tour schedules. Just taking their time. I think we could see some really creative and great music come out of this if U2 are working under the gun--even if they already have most of the album completed. No over-thinking, just inspiration and album release. Could be interesting.

"There is nothing that focuses the mind like a rapidly-approaching deadline." - Edge

lol. where did you get that picture?

bonoparty20092.jpg

I ran across it and this one on Twitter last night. That guy (Swizz Beatz, a rap producer I think) posted that he was partying with Bono, and that Bono's playlist was "crazyy."

LOL I'd say by the looks of Bono we could have had some beach clips last night... easy.

lol! i wouldnt' be surprised if we do get beach clips. it seems like the new tradition now.

Not good news if you want U2 to continue 'trying' to be experimental:

From Hotpress:

"We've got some stuff, more abstract stuff that we could put together as a release; but right now what's really intriguing me is plain old fashioned song writing."

Songs of Ascent RIP...

Not good news if you want U2 to continue 'trying' to be experimental:

From Hotpress:

"We've got some stuff, more abstract stuff that we could put together as a release; but right now what's really intriguing me is plain old fashioned song writing."

Songs of Ascent RIP...

they want the hit. could be great whether it's abstract or in your face.

they're free to choose what they want to do. it's their music afterall.

as a fan, and my own personal preference of the music they make; i'd prefer the abstract stuff if the stuff is like HTDAAB. Good songs, great songs, but nothing i really come back to.

There's just something about abstract (his words) that i find more interesting, or more of a repeated listen.

but.....U2 could be making music right now that will blow our minds, regardless of what songwriting method they choose.

Another post/thought....

to me, the weakest part of the 00's music has been Bono's songwriting. maybe if he goes back to plain old fashioned song writing, he means writing lyrics that most of us wouldn't consider pure Cheese. and he's done that quite a bit lately. NLOTH was definitely a step up on his part....but i'd love the JT/AB/Pop method of Bono to come back out.

Little less direct. and no knees and soul talk :) (though MOS gets a pass on the knees, as that is a truly brilliant song)

sounds like The Edge is a little less committed to June 2010, but then again, this article was definitely written well before the Irish newspaper article on Dec. 26. usually magazine interviews are done at least a month before its release.

would probably stick witht the Independent article for hope right now....but we've seen these quotes before. Really have become a well oild machine ever since the Popmart fiasco.

What we do know is that Bono and Edge were busy writing songs. We really don't know what will become of them.

I would lean towards SOA, at least that theme, being put on hold right now. But if we still get a new U2 album, isn't that really the point? Would we rather have new, and possibly amazing songs in the next 4-5 months, versus waiting 3 more years for some Album that may or may not exist?

Probably slightly off-topic but it just occured to me.

I was reading the scribbled titles on the photo of Eno's whiteboard in Fez and it says: Songs of AScent, mixing upper and lower case letters - which, if spelled out properly, would give us Songs of A Scent. Remember the interview on the Bonus DVD from the Deluxe edition of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb?

Songs are incredible, it's not like movies you see once, twice or three times.
They become part of your life, it's like - - They're more like smells.
There's a few bad smells out there of ours, but when we get it right there's a scent.
Just found it funny to see it spelled that way and maybe I'm just reading too much into it, maybe it's just what someone's handwriting looks like. But it could indicate that there was some kind of initial ambition behind the project. Songs of A Scent - "Extraordinary songs" :giggle:

Then there's the "freedom has a scent" lyric from Levitate and Miracle Drug of course...which is probably what he referred to in the interview.

Then there's the "freedom has a scent" lyric from Levitate and Miracle Drug of course...which is probably what he referred to in the interview.

If this album ends up being about how some damn newborn baby's head smells, Bono and I are going to have some words.

as has been said, I'm sure the magazine talked to Edge awhile ago. I'd take Paul McG's- the cash cow of U2- word about a release over any band members. no offense of course to anybody in the band, but McG's words lend more credibility to me than Bono's enthusiasm or Edge playing coy.

That article doesn't particularly enthuse me. But I'll wait until I hear the album to judge it, for obvious reasons.

Probably slightly off-topic but it just occured to me.

I was reading the scribbled titles on the photo of Eno's whiteboard in Fez and it says: Songs of AScent, mixing upper and lower case letters - which, if spelled out properly, would give us Songs of A Scent. Remember the interview on the Bonus DVD from the Deluxe edition of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb?

Just found it funny to see it spelled that way and maybe I'm just reading too much into it, maybe it's just what someone's handwriting looks like. But it could indicate that there was some kind of initial ambition behind the project. Songs of A Scent - "Extraordinary songs" :giggle:

Ive been saying all along "Songs of Ass Scent", probably not the scent they were looking for though. I guess it depends on who the producer is...

Wow. What a blow to the hopes for Songs of Ascent. I wonder if any of the songs from the NLOTH sessions will be saved, or if we will be subjected to full-on Christian Rock mode? :sad:

all this good news coming in now the Edge has ruined it for me lol jk

but i really hope they release Songs of Ascent in some form I liked the idea, it sounded like a new style for U2 in the sense that it would be an entire album of nightime music instead of 1 or 2 songs like that plus I liked the direction they were heading with NLOTH - I hope they dont back down and release an album of Crazy tonights and Elevations -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom