Songs of Ascent - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does U2 still keep its money in tax shelters? Or did they find that it was difficult to pose as humanitarians/social crusaders whilst deferring tax bills in favor of personal luxury.

that was an awesome first post! i bet you registered here to say many great things about U2.

let me speak for everyone and say "WELCOME TO INTERFERENCE!!!1"

Does U2 still keep its money in tax shelters? Or did they find that it was difficult to pose as humanitarians/social crusaders whilst deferring tax bills in favor of personal luxury.

Oh come on, at least a decent troll would have found a SOMEWHAT relevant topic to have kept this truly informed nugget for...

You've been since Jan for this? :lmao:

Id just like to say:

WHo gives a fuck what key something is in OR how difficult a melody is to sing. It doesn't mean there is NO melody if it isn't difficult, nor does something that is more difficult make it more valid as an outlet of musical expression.

Long and the short of it, this is a U2 forum. We welcome opinions that differ, but moaning and instigatory behaviour isn't welcomed.

We get you don't like it, and you have outlined some valid resons. What isn't valid is claiming that songs 'have no melody'. Or Bono 'can't sing because the melody isn't "difficult"' or any of this other nonsense that is pure speculation and opinion that you purport to be fact.

I'll give you a fact: Perpetuating a moronic and pointless arguement on subjective matter when it is yourself against about 20 people is one of the saddest wastes of time I can think of. I would stop trying to convince people that your subjective interpretation of music is superior to others before you give yourself an ulcer.

^ that was directed towards the 'cactus annie and co' charade

As with tax shelters etc: Could you honestly say that If U2 didn't exist the irish economy would be as well off as it is? Seriously, the tourism alone into the city from people who want to visit U2 landmarks! They are a business, and it is a legitimate business method for saving money. Also, saving more money actually makes it easier for them to support charitable organisations through financial contributions.

If your next post as anything similar, catch you on the coldplay forums! :wave:

Dan your walking against the wind.:D

About the tax stuff?

I'm not syaing it was the right thing to do, and definately not what I would have expected them to do, but its shits me that people look at it in such a polar way, its good or evil, and nothing in between.

If you can tell me that U2 have not had a positive impact on the irish economy and back it up with facts I will retract what I have said.

In the end though, it is a far cry from an evil action, and definately not worth the decrying it gets from some people.

How does the paying of tax to corrupt western governments have any humanitarian benefit. Here here to those who enter into tax sheltered structures :)

Yeah, and Bono's always going on about TaxTransparencyInternational.

The second silliest backlash, next to the Ipod video.

You would be wrong in this thinking. I've never heard a singer tell me they can't sing the song because the melody is too "complicated", but I hear all the time singer's telling me they can't perform the song because it's out of their range.

Sorry what I meant was that OOTS is more challenging because of its harmaonies. A few months ago someone posted that Bono has deffinately got more melodic than he did when he first started out. That's why I don't think Boy or October sounds anything like Bomb. Is there anything on these two albums that sound that melodic. Into The Heart and October title track are kind of melodic. In WOWY Bono did all the harmonies himself but this was unsuccessful. Why do you think Anthony Kiedis needs assistance from Rick Rubin's studio trickery when the RHCP's released more melodic songs, it's because Kiedis has no natural ear for the melodic line. Compare that to Michael Jackson. The TV last night was dominated by the sad news of his death and in a documentary, which I pressume was compiled by old interview footage that they had just put together, his mum said that one day when he was 5 the two of them just started to sing along to the music on the radio and that's when she discovered that he had a natural ear for harmony. Anyone can sing a melodically linear song like MOS, htat's easy, even I can sing that. But OOTS, MD, COBL, Walk On and WILATW.

And why are people on here so obsessed with vocal range? I never even heard of this phrase until I came on here as a guest. I was attracted to his voice because of the texture or timbre of it when I first listened to ATYCLB. Very few singers give me goosebumps. Nat king Cole, Sinatra, Alicia Keys, Norah Jones, Elvis, Bowie, Adele, Lionel Richie and Bono are just a few. Freddie Mercury, Whitney Houstan or Christina Agulira don't. I think they have great voices, better than most pop singers but I have high standards. There is more to singing. Hazel Davies said that Bono lacks no control over his diaphragm.

Well if Eno, Laonis and Edge are all singin different harmonic parts on the album then perhaps harmonically they are just as good as OOTS. Jacko was harmonically great.
Edge said that he likes the Fleet Foxes because they have great harmony. He also named checked the Eagles during the recording of the album

Sorry what I meant was that OOTS is more challenging because of its harmaonies. A few months ago someone posted that Bono has deffinately got more melodic than he did when he first started out.
Oh, Annie you're so confusing... Melodies or harmonies? Which one do you want to talk about? I'm not quite sure you know the difference between the two so I think I'm just going to bow out of this conversation.

Anyone can sing a melodically linear song like MOS, htat's easy, even I can sing that. But OOTS, MD, COBL, Walk On and WILATW.
I have no clue why you think these songs are more complicated to sing...

Hazel Davies said that Bono lacks no control over his diaphragm.
I don't know who this person is, and I hope you are misquoting them, because if not she needs to just quit her job because she has no fucking clue what she's talking about... This is the second time you've posted something she said and she's just stupid.

Well if Eno, Laonis and Edge are all singin different harmonic parts on the album then perhaps harmonically they are just as good as OOTS.
So now it is as good? Damn I'm confused...

Head over to the claw thread in the general discussion of the tour. Go to the u2log vid ad listen to the beginning and end, confirmed intro track to the tour...

New u2? Soa?

That sounded like it, but poster toze pinto confirmed on page 9 of the "videos" from Saturday night thread that it was the unidentified intro thread he heard.

And one of those setlist sites -- eastlink maybe, I can't remember, listed KINGDOM as the opener to rehearsal one night.

^ I can't see a full song that is going to be on SOA being played on the PA. Kind of ruins it for them actually playing it once it's released.

Given SOA is meant to be more reflective and ambient, perhaps Kingdom is an intro-y kind of piece much like Beautiful Ghost is for TJT, and it will actually be used on the album as linking music, or an intro

The clip also included the full length No Line On The Horizon as well, so that would have copyright issues as well. But I don't doubt that it had to do with both songs.

So... has somebody saved the clip to his pc and is able to upload it? I´d like to hear that again!

working on that!

Or you can download the video file here yourself
Index of /u2_barcelona
260 MB

I am trying to get the song by itself but looks like it's going to be a few hours until I can, so unless someone else is able to get it sooner, I'll post it when I get it.

Interference members are always end up confusing BVS, me in particurlar. You should try being me for a day. I'm always getting myself confused. You'd go mad too if you lived inside my head. :coocoo:

Oh, Annie you're so confusing... Melodies or harmonies? Which one do you want to talk about? I'm not quite sure you know the difference between the two so I think I'm just going to bow out of this conversation.

No I don't have a clue either. See this is what I mean. I'm always confusing myself. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you have to have a good sense of harmonies in order to sing great melodies :shrug: I must ask Jeeves or look on Wikepeadia.

don't know who this person is, and I hope you are misquoting them, because if not she needs to just quit her job because she has no fucking clue what she's talking about... This is the second time you've posted something she said and she's just stupid.

She is a stupid mofo and she lacks professional conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom