Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Releasing this one as a single really is a head scratcher. It's just...not very good. And following another ballad? *hits snooze*

Is it released already? Will it be the same half baked promotion as the ebw single?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

I have liked this song from day one. It's simple but powerful. It lacks the layers that must U2 songs have but it still is a song that I really enjoy.

I just watched the live performance from the San Jose show that was just broadcast on television for Red Nose Day and I like the song even more now.

That was one hell of a performance! Bono's voice was near perfect, Edge was crisp and it being a full band "plugged in" version made it that much more beautiful.

I really like this song!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Damn, Bono's voice is basically flawless. Nice performance.

Right? It was a hell of a performance. I've heard them play warhorses and Edge plays a wrong key here or there or Bonos voice is weak and it takes away from the song a little but this performance, love or hate the song, was great!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've realized that I really like this song.

Buuuuuut, I hate the lyrics "song for someone" so much that it basically ruins the entire thing for me.

Lazy as shit, not clever, and ugh.

I'm not sure why, but I really like this song. I have from the moment I've heard it. On the surface it's symptomatic of many of my many issues with the album, but I dunno, it just works. The chorus is really, really lovely.

I've loved this song from the beginning. Some of the lyrics are a bit cringe worthy, and it's as cheesy as U2 can get, but yeah - it just works. I love the melody. The build of the song is masterful, they just ride the momentum. On NLOTH or Bomb they'd have forced a different, jarring bridge in there, but this time they just followed the song. Great song on a great album.

I've loved this song from the beginning. Some of the lyrics are a bit cringe worthy, and it's as cheesy as U2 can get, but yeah - it just works. I love the melody. The build of the song is masterful, they just ride the momentum. On NLOTH or Bomb they'd have forced a different, jarring bridge in there, but this time they just followed the song. Great song on a great album.

Couldn´t sum it up better!

If only it wasn´t a single :)

Just a lovely album track.

Video looks interesting.

For some reason this song just won't go away. Its kind of cheesy but that chorus really hits me.

I had a great trip in Vegas with friends last October (one of those once of a lifetime trips for people getting together) when SOI was fresh and hearing it in Phoenix both nights was really nice. And Song for Someone just brings back those great times.

And me and my 4 year old sing it all the time. :up:

For me SFS was meh at first hearing. Then it grew on me. Then the acoustic version grew on me even more. Then I couldn't stop listening to it, then I heard it live twice, well now I'm really gone. There is nothing as beautiful as the hill at calvary line. Perfection. I can look past some of the cheesiness just for that line alone.

Speaking of perfection, EBW live Chicago Nights 1 and 2 you couldn't hear a pin drop during that song, and it's not because everyone left to get a beer. It is pretty much bone chilling live, loved it. And that's coming from someone who loved it so much at first I eventually got really sick of it.

:lol: :rimshot: :applaud:

I loved this song right from first hearing.

I think "Song For Someone" is one of the better songs on the album. Its certainly the most commercial as well with the possible exception of Volcano and it probably should have been the first single.

Then again, Crystal Ballroom, Invisible, and Lucifers Hands all should have been on the album and all made better singles than the first two they released.

Then again, Crystal Ballroom, Invisible, and Lucifers Hands all should have been on the album and all made better singles than the first two they released.

They're ON the album.
It's a DOUBLE album.

ZING!!!

Back
Top Bottom