Someday U2 will have a new album. Today is not that day. discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. I mean, you could see what it was without clicking on it. Not cruel, just weak all around.

I was kind of joking but thanks for the insight.

There were many who saw "The Joshua Tree" as a complete sell-out. Pandering for mainstream radio play. Complete compromise.

It was the 80s. The rules were really strict. Having success was really, really bad.

The wrong looking people like your record? You're done.

That's certainly not unique to the 80's. But it is unique to trendy faux snobs.

No doubt. But it was worse in the 80s than it is now.

Song on a TV ad in 86? You're the devil and you make music for $.

Song on a TV ad in 13? Cool.

This, this and this, over and over. Springsteen makes it look so easy too; he needs to go teach U2 the Jedi mind trick.

Except Springsteen isn't four guys in a band debating and having a democracy in album making, nor is he as much into world domination. He can turn on Fox News and get an album worth of ideas in a few minutes anytime. Yes, a great songwriter (I think people overestimate Bono as a writer--he's far better as a performer and singer).

Wrecking ball is a very good album (Seeger sessions meeets The Rising), I feel the same about NLOTH. I think fans of both U2 and Bruce had the last great surge in popularity after 9/11, and fans of both would not list their 00's work among their best output.

There were many who saw "The Joshua Tree" as a complete sell-out. Pandering for mainstream radio play. Complete compromise.

It was the 80s. The rules were really strict. Having success was really, really bad.

The wrong looking people like your record? You're done.

I know people who thought U2 sold out with Pride, that U2 should have split after Red Rocks.

Btw that 17 second demo a few pages back, sounded pretty good, well the guitar did anyway.

Someone over at the German U2 forum has met Larry in Dublin some days ago. They say Larry told them that U2 are going back to NY next week to finish the album. Larry also said that the album will be released in February with an arena tour starting in May in Europe.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what they are saying.

No word on EU tour start though...they tend to start tours in US.

Hopefully this is true, and at least we get a Christmas time single.

I was kind of joking but thanks for the insight.

Yeah, I know, but it did get me remembering how different JT was when it came out, and that using Exit as the first song on a promo appearance showed how they liked to take risks and not do the obvious stuff.

But the difference is that U2 ,for 2 decades, had that desire of changing their sound.So when they officially stopped after the commercial failure of Pop,they lost credibility to many.

I don't think they officially stopped. The more I listen to NLOTH the less it has in common with the two albums before. I don't think it really fits into the trilogy theory at all. Maybe the didn't accomplish all that they wanted to, but I don't think it just slides right in with the accessible pop sound of the other two.

equipment was moved from HQ studios yesterday, to be taken to NYC. A friend of mine was there and has been told that the album will be out in December

equipment was moved from HQ studios yesterday, to be taken to NYC. A friend of mine was there and has been told that the album will be out in December

If they're going back to NYC now to continue working on the album, then the album won't be out in December.

Even if they wrap in mid October, they still need time to master the tracks, send it to Jimmy Iovine so he and his Illuminati masters can white wash anything political, and then print and press.

The news still lines up with a March release.

October - sessions going nowhere. November...December...remember...are U2 starting again? Please, please, please new album please.

I don't think they officially stopped. The more I listen to NLOTH the less it has in common with the two albums before. I don't think it really fits into the trilogy theory at all. Maybe the didn't accomplish all that they wanted to, but I don't think it just slides right in with the accessible pop sound of the other two.

We've seen hints at more complete overhauls in the years since Pop but what gets chosen as big U2 material and ultimately released usually tires to bridge the gap, a tiny bit of something different and enough hallmarks or radio friendliness to be safe. Think MDH material versus the bulk of ATYCLB and the raw versions of Bomb tracks versus what was released, the beach clips and behind the scenes videos of NLOTH versus the final versions & the middle 3 tracks. Ever since Pop they've been gunshy about their new ideas or upsetting the balance they've struck with casual fan pleasing and reinvention. It's sad because most of the world see U2 as so same-y and safe now, when the bits of leaks suggest they've plenty of vitality left that the Popmart flop (& the commercial disappointment of NLOTH singles) still has them too anxious to go with those instincts. This is the band that took one if the most successful records of the 80's and obliterated its sound only to release one of the most successful of the 90's, does that boldness only work when it succeeds commercially & the diminishing returns at the cash registers for Zooropa and Pop nullified it? Why after all this time do they still care about the radio? They haven't made headway there since 2004 and they're not going to now, but that didn't stop them from being the most attended live artists in history, they love their live crowds and the fans love them, why can't that & the joy of what you're creating be enough for them now? Honestly, do they look at what breaks through on the radio nowadays and sit there in jealousy at the profundity of the compositions? As ever it's extremely rare for anything with heart to be a hit & it's especially rare for music from people over 40 to crossover let alone rock music now. Forget the radio & do it for yourselves, the fans will still be at your shows until kingdom come.

One has to wonder about POP....

Were songs like SATS, LNOE and IGWSHA added to the album to make it sound more radio friendly and U2-like? NLOE we know was finished recording in the mastering studio, which is unheard of. LNOE, IGWSHA and WUDM originated from the Zooropa era. Maybe halfway through the summer of 96, somebody said "ummm.... you need to tone this down a bit" so they went back to their archives of unused songs and dusted these old ones off? Which caused the album to be delayed from fall of 1996 to the following spring, and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom