Someday U2 will have a new album. Today is not that day. discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a short way of saying, what they are really working to produce is an emotional response in the audience, us. That ecstatic, orgasmic stadiumful of God-walks-into-the-room that happens at a great U2 show? I'm pretty sure that's what it's all about for them, that the ability to do that thing is the standard by which they judge their music.

They can do that with the previous albums. They can be a little more daring with this one all they want if they decide to do arenas and sell out regardless. Heck they can be even more daring and choose to do music halls and gigs for that matter.

They can do that with the previous albums. They can be a little more daring with this one all they want if they decide to do arenas and sell out regardless. Heck they can be even more daring and choose to do music halls and gigs for that matter.
It seems to me that their old philosophy was, if it "goes off" for them, it will also "go off" for us. The U2 of the 90s was very much this way. I think they started to doubt themselves after certain albums (like Pop) didn't quite "go off" for (most of) us the way they were going off for them. Zooropa did, just more in a subdued way, I would say ATYCLB went off for both, once again. And like it or not, so did Atomic Bomb for the most part. I was never completely sold on Atomic Bomb, but I have to admit, after listening to it for the first time in years the other day, it sounded even better than I remembered it, and songs like 'A Man and a Woman' resonated more than ever before. Some very strong songwriting on that album. Now I actually understand why it won Album of the Year. I guess those voters probably do know (somewhat) what they're doing, after all :sexywink:

I was never completely sold on Atomic Bomb, but I have to admit, after listening to it for the first time in years the other day, it sounded even better than I remembered it, and songs like 'A Man and a Woman' resonated more than ever before. Some very strong songwriting on that album. Now I actually understand why it won Album of the Year. I guess those voters probably do know (somewhat) what they're doing, after all :sexywink:

This. I never understood the hate for HTDAAB.

I too listened to Bomb last week for the first time in over a year. In terms of having a consistent theme running through an album, I think only Boy and ATYCLB do a better job.

:reject:

I too listened to Bomb last week for the first time in over a year. In terms of having a consistent theme running through an album, I think only Boy and ATYCLB do a better job.

:reject:

If by "consistent" you mean derivative, and by "theme" you mean unoriginal, I'm in complete agreement. :up:

j/k...I agree Bomb has a pretty consistent theme the problem is, the music is just U2 on cruise control, and the production on that record sucks. And most of the songs are pretty weak. Quite possibly my most profound disappointment in this band.

I don't get a consistent theme out of the (vastly superior) ATYCLB at all. That one just feels like a collection of pop classics to me. And I think Zooropa and Pop probably have more consistent themes than almost any of their other records.

I also happen to think the reports of internal strife and disagreement in the recording of the new record have some truth to them. My feeling is that U2 is starting to fray a bit...and I suspect that since they have no single direction, they are all pulling different ways.

It's all a little cloak and daggers, isn't it? Back in January, Larry was talking up a release this year, followed by a quick follow-up (ha!), then a few weeks ago we heard Bono say (not once, but twice in the same few sentences) "U2 have no... commitment to any kind of release date". I tend to think Bono wants to push the boat out, whereas Larry wants U2 to pursue a more conservative direction. Adam has discovered marital bliss and probably doesn't much care anymore, and Edge is happy to twiddle about by himself. Reading between the lines, it's obvious to me they're not on the same page, or even on the same book. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about spring 2014 :reject:

It's all a little cloak and daggers, isn't it? Back in January, Larry was talking up a release this year, followed by a quick follow-up (ha!), then a few weeks ago we heard Bono say (not once, but twice in the same few sentences) "U2 have no... commitment to any kind of release date". I tend to think Bono wants to push the boat out, whereas Larry wants U2 to pursue a more conservative direction. Adam has discovered marital bliss and probably doesn't much care anymore, and Edge is happy to twiddle about by himself. Reading between the lines, it's obvious to me they're not on the same page, or even on the same book. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about spring 2014 :reject:

They've still got another 3 months of recording in order to have it out by March so I wouldn't be too worried just yet.
If it gets to late November and we still haven't got any song titles or anything more than the vague information we have now, THEN I'll be worried.

What point is there in being worried if some band doesn't release an album? Especially a band as far into their career as U2?

I think they would be deeply disappointed if they didn't get that emotional response from the new songs. I think they do want to be daring, but they also want to blow us away. If you have that ambition, I guess it could take a lot of time to finish the album. A lot of excitement in the beginning and a lot of uncertainty in the end.

I think they would be deeply disappointed if they didn't get that emotional response from the new songs. I think they do want to be daring, but they also want to blow us away. If you have that ambition, I guess it could take a lot of time to finish the album. A lot of excitement in the beginning and a lot of uncertainty in the end.

YBR was played last tour so I don't buy this argument entirely. They have everything to gain by having trust in their current producer and running with it. I'm all for them being influenced by current rock music, as most of the influential rock nowadays is indie in nature. I don't think they are going for a Bon Jovi emotional response.

The problem with reading between the lines is that there's nothing there.

Line one______________
Line two______________

See? Nothing.

The problem with reading between the lines is that there's nothing there.

Line one______________
Line two______________

See? Nothing.

Yes. A bit like the space between your ears.
(Don't bother replying to any of my posts in future, please. I dislike frat-boy type posters).

YBR was played last tour so I don't buy this argument entirely. They have everything to gain by having trust in their current producer and running with it. I'm all for them being influenced by current rock music, as most of the influential rock nowadays is indie in nature. I don't think they are going for a Bon Jovi emotional response.

I sincerely hope they are not going for a Bon Jovi emotional response. :no: :wink:

been away so not sure if it's been mentioned.. but u2.com subscriber package is usually announced around now.. (From the Ground Up was Sept 30 last, year, Duals was late August)

if there's a spring/summer tour, there should be mention of a pre-sale ticket incentive for subscribing. if there's a tour, there's an album..

been away so not sure if it's been mentioned.. but u2.com subscriber package is usually announced around now.. (From the Ground Up was Sept 30 last, year, Duals was late August)

if there's a spring/summer tour, there should be mention of a pre-sale ticket incentive for subscribing. if there's a tour, there's an album..

WHOA! Hang on there..... his was a very logical post.... no room in here for this. :lol:

Seriously very good point. :up:

Just called to Hanover quay nothing too report here even the seagulls where quiet!!

All very true. But at the same time, if the album is still being worked on and the tour plans are in flux, that might mean the subscriber announcement will be seriously delayed. Or that the subscriber gift this year will simply be a CD with nothing related to ticket sales.

:lol:

I kind of wish this forum's colour theme was customizable. Ever get sick of all the blue? :crack: Or maybe it should keep changing based on the colour pattern on the latest album.

Once, a long time ago, the forum was white for a day. It freaked us all out. We needed our blue. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom