SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made my point on Twitter so apologies for the 2 peoples who saw it (u2songs :)) - I think what we heard is a remix and that the SOE songs were written "accessibly" enough to be easily remixed. This would make sense and in the vein of SOI being raw enough to be translated acoustically.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This thread kind of sucks from noon on today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, so I apologize if the Kygo, Arcade Fire reference missed your funny bone.

I just didn't want to do a response with any lists.

Tomorrow or the next thread will be better... and it's almost September.

Yeah this thread devolved deal fast which is dumb given where we are in the cycle, and the mini treat we got Saturday.

I Will Follow
Gloria
New Year's Day
Pride
With Or Without You
All I Want Is You
Ultraviolet
Zooropa
Your Blue Room
Wake Up Dead Man
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Moment Of Surrender
Iris

I'm sort of losing my patience here, because I don't see anything on the news. Hopefully they release something next week. :huh:

I don't treat OS1 as U2 Canon :wink:

tGtdyt4.gif

If we had to pick THE TOP HIT song from every single album from BOY to SOI...what would be your best pick ? Some albums have multiple hits but had to pick "the" one that stood out for each album. Here are mine :

I WILL FOLLOW
GLORIA
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
PRIDE
STREETS
DESIRE
ONE
STAY
DISCOTHEQUE
BEAUTIFUL DAY
VERTIGO
MOMENT OF SURRENDER
EVERY BREAKING WAVE

Twilight
Rejoice
New Year's Day
ASOH
Running to stand Still
Hawkmoon 269
Until The End of the World
Dirty Day
Slug
Mofo
Kite
COBL
MOS
Reach Me Now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 posts of quick, inane crap to make this thread disappear quicker? Or do we not want a new thread ruined immediately?

People want to talk about U2 but there's no news. Should we lock the thread until something happens?

Let's be honest, most of the posts in these 8 9 threads could be described as 'quick, inane crap' that 'ruin' their threads but we're not doing a dissertation here. If there's something serious to talk about then I'm sure there won't be any shortage of posters to engage with.

People want to talk about U2 but there's no news. Should we lock the thread until something happens?

Let's be honest, most of the posts in these 8 9 threads could be described as 'quick, inane crap' that 'ruin' their threads but we're not doing a dissertation here. If there's something serious to talk about then I'm sure there won't be any shortage of posters to engage with.

But this argument falls down when there is a whole forum to discuss this nonsense elsewhere.

How about some more relevant speculation?

Do you think U2 will manage to fuse the 'rocky, aggressive' sound with the accessible, modern style they're aspiring towards? Will we get electro/dance/heavy rock fusions, and raw rock sounds that sound modern and poppy?

Or, will it be more like songs geared towards radio success, and then entirely separate songs where they let their hair down and do the aggressive rock?

Or maybe the whole album will be edm focused. Gavin Friday did say their albums could change drastically at the drop of a hat.

Do you think U2 will manage to fuse the 'rocky, aggressive' sound with the accessible, modern style they're aspiring towards? Will we get electro/dance/heavy rock fusions, and raw rock sounds that sound modern and poppy?

Or, will it be more like songs geared towards radio success, and then entirely separate songs where they let their hair down and do the aggressive rock?

Or maybe the whole album will be edm focused. Gavin Friday did say their albums could change drastically at the drop of a hat.

Great idea. Here's what I think... (or at least, hope)

Stylistically it will be all over the map. There will be straight-up rock and roll songs, classic u2 anthems, ballads and a lead single that is dancier than any non-remix they've recorded to date.

But, it will also manage to sound cohesive, as they've kept the production team limited to Thomas/Barlow, the new Eno and Lanois, with additional production help from the likes of Epworth and Lillywhite.

It'll work like POP works- because the sound will be consistent. Wake Up Dead Man on the same album as Mofo? Sure. Two very different songs, both inhabiting the same post-apocalyptic planet.

Instead this time we're on a vibrant, fresh, easy going planet where people celebrate living everyday.

Yeah it's going to be pop music, but pop played by dudes who know what they're doing, and who trust in each other. Confident dudes who have finally listened to the folks around them and who have let these songs breathe without trying to shape them into something they're not.

If ATYCLB was their Rubber Soul, than welcome to U2's Revolver.

:rockon:

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stylistically it will be all over the map. There will be straight-up rock and roll songs, classic u2 anthems, ballads and a lead single that is dancier than any non-remix they've recorded to date.

But, it will also manage to sound cohesive, as they've kept the production team limited to Thomas/Barlow, the new Eno and Lanois, with additional production help from the likes of Epworth and Lillywhite.

It'll work like POP works- because the sound will be consistent. Wake Up Dead Man on the same album as Mofo? Sure. Two very different songs, both inhabiting the same post-apocalyptic planet.

Instead this time we're on a vibrant, fresh, easy going planet where people celebrate living everyday.

Yeah it's going to be pop music, but pop played by dudes who know what they're doing, and who trust in each other. Confident dudes who have finally listened to the folks around them and who have let these songs breathe without trying to shape them into something they're not.

Sounds fantastic! I think the cohesive sound and story/theme of any album is all important. I loved SOI, partly because of this, which can often carry a weaker song or two.

I expect its going to sound a lot like SOI to be honest so option 2 in your list, but would love them to take some more risks and kind of like option 1. Although we all know that what the band cases as raw rock sounds can be some way off what I'd class them as.

TBH I'd just like to see a lot more new music from them, particularly as they age.. I've said it before, but its never been easier to just put music out there quickly and easily at very little cost, so I'm surprised they've not experimented a bit and released more things to "test the water".

I'd love for this to be true. It's the holy grail for U2 to achieve this. TBT seems to head in that direction. So my hopes aren't shattered at the moment. I'm not even very impatient. Hearing some new music is enough to keep me patient for a little while. But I sure hope for / expect a proper release in September :hyper:

I wouldn't read much into that. It's either deliberate misdirection or (more likely) just speculation from a freelance writer tasked with writing a "Best Of" list.

I'm hoping for the melding of aggressive and modern. Sure there will be a couple TBT's in there that are more "pop", but I think they can definitely make songs that are still accessible to a broad audience, while going a more aggressive route. I'm hoping for a more polished Do You Feel Loved type thing. Great guitar, modern sound/electro feel infused.
(Still think it would have been a strong first single off POP that would have taken the narrative a whole different direction)
I wouldn't frown on something in Mofo direction either.

If we look at the clips we have heard over the last 6 months. We do have a real variety. TBT being more pop/dance, the Fender ad with Edge playing a more middle ground rock song with a retro War/Boy type chorus and solid guitar. And the clip posted by Adam with the heavy distorted guitar and big drums.

I think it will be a diverse record. And hopefully they keep it cohesive. No more NLOTH mish mash where a possible great album is marred by a few dreadful tracks. and no more Atomic Bombs, where it's even across the board, but quite mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom