SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think post 2000 U2 has been very influenced by the Beatles. The idea of finding a melody, a hook, and for an album to contain 11 singles.

I feel this influence is the reason why their songs have been so polished as well, very little mystery to them especially the translation to a live setting.

ATYCLB was a fuse of this idea, and classic U2. Songs morphed into something different live (New York, Kite--Vertigo Tour). I haven't really felt that about anything post ATYCLB, and SOI songs didn't really register. Not saying they were bad, but it just felt like they were carbon copies of the album version. RBW may be the only exception, as I felt that one jumped out on the DVD.

I would prefer U2 doesn't go the Coldplay route, but it could be Coldplay just isn't very good at this "modern" sound. I definitely like Ghost Stories compared to the last album, and even then it was kind of meh. But it was more of the Coldplay of old. Atmospheric sounds, versus getting guest singers or producers.....minus SFOS.

Guess we'll see what U2 has come up with soon. I do like what I've heard of TBT, but want a good recording, and not the remix.

I think post 2000 U2 has been very influenced by the Beatles. The idea of finding a melody, a hook, and for an album to contain 11 singles.

I feel this influence is the reason why their songs have been so polished as well, very little mystery to them especially the translation to a live setting.

ATYCLB was a fuse of this idea, and classic U2. Songs morphed into something different live (New York, Kite--Vertigo Tour). I haven't really felt that about anything post ATYCLB, and SOI songs didn't really register. Not saying they were bad, but it just felt like they were carbon copies of the album version. RBW may be the only exception, as I felt that one jumped out on the DVD.

I would prefer U2 doesn't go the Coldplay route, but it could be Coldplay just isn't very good at this "modern" sound. I definitely like Ghost Stories compared to the last album, and even then it was kind of meh. But it was more of the Coldplay of old. Atmospheric sounds, versus getting guest singers or producers.....minus SFOS.

Guess we'll see what U2 has come up with soon. I do like what I've heard of TBT, but want a good recording, and not the remix.

Yeah, RBW was a standout. But I think cedarwood road, miracle and EBW all shone in different ways. But yeah, there was an easy transition, which I don't know if it's a bad thing. I went to the london show and they did volcano. Was pretty bad.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

We should respect U2 for taking their time between albums now. Never thought about it until now, but they have families themselves. Brings a new perspective to their writing and songs.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know, I was referring to our crazy and hectic life schedule for not being up to date on new artists and DJs ! :wink:

I never talked about U2's and respect their private lives immensely :up:

If we had to pick THE TOP HIT song from every single album from BOY to SOI...what would be your best pick ? Some albums have multiple hits but had to pick "the" one that stood out for each album. Here are mine :

I WILL FOLLOW
GLORIA
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
PRIDE
STREETS
DESIRE
ONE
STAY
DISCOTHEQUE
BEAUTIFUL DAY
VERTIGO
MOMENT OF SURRENDER
EVERY BREAKING WAVE

Last edited:
The struggle is real!

Not sure that legitimizes a 5.5 year wait between albums.

while i 100% agree with this, I also sort of look at the gaps between tour closes and new albums. So yea, No Line in 09 to SOI in 2014 is too long, but I'm looking at it more 360's end in 2011 to SOI in 2014, which is less of a gap and probably more indicative of where the band is at.

If we had to pick THE TOP HIT song from every single album from BOY to SOI...what would be your best pick ? Some albums have multiple hits but had to pick "the" one that stood out for each album. Here are mine :

I WILL FOLLOW
GLORIA
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
PRIDE
STREETS
DESIRE
ONE
STAY
DISCOTHEQUE
BEAUTIFUL DAY
VERTIGO
MOMENT OF SURRENDER
EVERY BREAKING WAVE

My best pick would be:

I Will Follow
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Pride
Streets
All I want Is You
Ultraviolet
Lemon
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
No Line on The Horizon
The Miracle

My best pick would be:

I Will Follow
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Pride
Streets
All I want Is You
Ultraviolet
Lemon
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
No Line on The Horizon
The Miracle

You should really check out War, it's a really good album. A few dodgy areas, but solid.

:wink:

I have a family. I work 40-45 hours a week. I write beautiful pieces of C++ and Java daily. Bullocks.

I'm at my first Springsteen concert. Ever. Guess what. They do that GA lottery thing. They picked the same number two shows in a row. 1 in 1.5 million chance. What's up with that?

You should really check out War, it's a really good album. A few dodgy areas, but solid.

I have listened to it. I just forgot to mention New Years Day! :doh:
But like you said, it really is a great album.

I WILL FOLLOW
GLORIA
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
PRIDE
STREETS
DESIRE
ONE
STAY
DISCOTHEQUE
BEAUTIFUL DAY
VERTIGO
MOMENT OF SURRENDER
EVERY BREAKING WAVE

Shadows and Tall Trees
Rejoice
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
One Tree Hill
All I Want is You
One
Dirty Day
Gone
Elevation
Original of the Species
No Line on the Horizon
Every Breaking Wave

Shadows and Tall Trees
Rejoice
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
One Tree Hill
All I Want is You
One
Dirty Day
Gone
Elevation
Original of the Species
No Line on the Horizon
Every Breaking Wave

And I love slug on passengers

This is my weakest link list.

Shadows and Tall Trees
Stranger in a Strange Land
Red Light
4th of July
Mother of the Disappeared
Love Rescue Me
So Cruel
Babyface
Wake Up Dead Man
Grace
Love and Peace or Else
Cedars of Lebanon (Stand Up Comedy actually has a few redeeming moments)
Volcano

You should really check out Original Soundtracks 1, it's a really good album. A few dodgy areas, but solid.

What song plays prior to him getting on stage?

Wake Up by Arcade Fire.

No seriously, what if Kygo is like a jam band and varies his set list every night versus say, 16-17 tracks that stay the same, a few oldies for the REAL fans, and a surprise from the back catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom