SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a good review, Jon Pareles is an excellent journalist.

Except for the fact that he got the track listing wrong and put the wrong album art in his article!

When the fuck will news outlets stop falling for this ridiculous fucking fan created album cover???

The Jon Pareles NYT interview is solid, I think he gets what U2 were going for. It's easy to be cynical (hell I am) and well U2 aren't and this record isn't, but it's also a reflective record. I guess that's why some people love U2 90's phase (as do I), but all bands evolve and grow. While I may not have been in love with their direction in the 2000s, I think there was a genuine desire there to do what they did. The music was more hit or miss for me, but I think SOE is a welcomed surprise and they sound very rejuvenated and happy to still be here making music.

I just remember when Pareles wrote that "Coldplay is the most insufferable band of the decade" article back in 2005. While I think there are worst bands out there, his criticisms are valid (and I enjoy several Coldplay albums).

U2 is like your favorite sports team. You read articles about them and root for them.

This 1 million percent. Would love to see them get the same reviews and be in the mainstream as much as they were in the atyclb and bomb eras. That was such a good time to be a u2 fan. Thing is it's been 17 years since then and theve got old :)

This 1 million percent. Would love to see them get the same reviews and be in the mainstream as much as they were in the atyclb and bomb eras. That was such a good time to be a u2 fan. Thing is it's been 17 years since then and theve got old :)

Honestly, with some of these savage reviews, I think the band is actually paying for being so respected for ATYCLB and Bomb. If this album had come out back then, I think it would be receiving similar praise as those aforementioned albums, but instead people are harsher on this album because those two albums were so huge and roundly praised when many critics retrospectively think that those two albums were the start of U2's mediocre phase. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with that, just that I think U2 were so respected for so long - even when they started making less inspired music - that it caused a lot of people to really get burnt out on the band.

"which are themselves the limpest melodies of their career."

Are we listening to the same record as these people? These are easily the strongest melodies in a long time.

I try not to get worked up about what professional critics think, but I'm like sincerely baffled by these.

Ridiculous Isnt it? Criticise U2 all you like for their earnestness or Bono’s other activities, or rightly for trying too hard sometimes to create a radio hit. However it’s just perplexing to call the melodies on SOE “limp”. What’s do these people want or expect? SOE May not be edgy or alternative, but there are a number of perfectly crafted melodic rock/pop songs. Some of the strongest melodies they’ve created in years.

So what’s the consensus here? To me, this album is getting shitted on or are we just posting the negative reviews?

I guess it seems bad today because of the flood of negative reviews, but overall it's probably about even between the negative and positive reviews...for now.

Seems like the takeaway is people are still angry about the SOI release method, and also SOE will not be a resounding critical success.

I've only skimmed some of the reviews. Those that are negative, are they only focusing on the music, not the lyrics/theme? It's interesting, but from the little I've seen, it seems like the good reviews know the back story of Bono's health scare and the resulting thematic change to the album.

I know that what makes a lot of the album resonate for me.

U2 Songs of Experience

Yet another bad one, a really bad one

Eh, that's not really bad. And the guy's fave track is American Soul. Jesus Christ.
I think this what you get when you have reviewers going in with a negative outlook, and breeze through it a couple times. Nothing gets mentioned about the deep personal moments here. No nuance is captured by any of them. Sad.

But, such is life in 2017...

Honestly, with some of these savage reviews, I think the band is actually paying for being so respected for ATYCLB and Bomb. If this album had come out back then, I think it would be receiving similar praise as those aforementioned albums, but instead people are harsher on this album because those two albums were so huge and roundly praised when many critics retrospectively think that those two albums were the start of U2's mediocre phase. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with that, just that I think U2 were so respected for so long - even when they started making less inspired music - that it caused a lot of people to really get burnt out on the band.

I think you make a good point. It is quite possible all the critical praise, general goodwill towards and accolades heaped upon U2 during those years - and there was a lot of it - caused a critical backlash perhaps more than anything else aside from the iTunes thing.

I'm under the impression now though u2 could release an album as good as the Joshua tree and achtung baby combined and it still wouldn't be accepted with certain outlets. It's cool to diss u2 . That's the way it is now and has been since 2006. Between 2000-2005 u2 were seen as a cool band and they got great reviews from these outlets. The nme even gave them godlike genius awards. It's just the way it is now I suppose

I've only skimmed some of the reviews. Those that are negative, are they only focusing on the music, not the lyrics/theme? It's interesting, but from the little I've seen, it seems like the good reviews know the back story of Bono's health scare and the resulting thematic change to the album.

I know that what makes a lot of the album resonate for me.

Most of the ones I've read happen to center on the reviewer's general dislike of U2 and the iTunes release of SOI, all while taking a few choice shots at the new album without any real focus. There appears to be some dislike of the tone and some of the themes contained within the album. At least it seems that way to me.

I agree it does seem like all the positive reviews pick up on the backstory and how it shaped Bono's message on the album. That's good reporting from those critics as it gives an informed view of the album's themes. I get the feeling many of those who wrote highly negative reviews either didn't do their homework, or quite honestly did not care - nothing was going to stop them from writing something negative.

Most of the ones I've read happen to center on the reviewer's general dislike of U2 and the iTunes release of SOI, all while taking a few choice shots at the new album without any real focus.

giphy.gif

This isn’t that bad. It actually seems kind of fair, if the record isn’t working for you. Nothing nasty or petty.

Yup. I disagree with, well, all of it (American Soul the best track, wut?), but the review isn't bad per se like a lot of the other negative ones (the NY Times one isn't that great either, I think it spends too much time describing the songs rather than assessing them; when there's actual assessment at the very end it's a strong statement though and one that shows he gets the record).

Metacritic score is down to 63 with seven reviews - the lowest of which are from the a.v. club and nme.

Last edited:
This isn’t that bad. It actually seems kind of fair, if the record isn’t working for you. Nothing nasty or petty.

I actually think this is a very fair review. I enjoyed how he said some songs felt like product and how their releases are still made to be made a blockbuster event even though this one initially was said to be Zooropa like. I think we as fans also would rather them put music out at this point without all of the bigness attached. Yes, it’s not the iTunes fiasco but they have the whole amazon music thing today, SNL coming up, Bono on Kimmel. You can’t escape them still and I think a lot of people just are sick of them and take it out on the music.

Odd how there seems to be such a disconnect between the professional reviews and fan feedback....at this point(it’s still early)

I enjoy reading what other fans think of the music, whether they like it or not. People on boards like this are what I pay most attention to.

I couldn't care less what some "critic" says.

It’s strange to say but it seems that fans on this forum are more equipped to objectively review the album than professional critics. The U2 baggage reviewers obsess about (Apple debacle, Paradise Papers, charity work,etc.) makes critics incapable of considering the music on its own terms. In contrast, fans don’t give a crap about extraneous matters and solely focus on the music.

Do not post on here very often, but read posts a few times a day in different threads. I am actually suprised with how many negative reviews there have been from newspapers that in the past have given ok reviews. I knew the NME would hammer the album. The editor hates the band. Unfortunately U2 are not liked in general in Britain, although they have a large loyal fan base. People cannot seem to separate their dislike of Bono & give the music a chance. I really believe this album is their strongest in a long time & is a grower. There is an agenda out there & as others have said they could make JT & AB now & they would still be dismissed. As I write this in an Adelaide hotel room hoping England can fight back in the ashes I am hoping for at least few more decent reviews which the album deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom